Long Bow Help/Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Bow Help/Info

I am cleaning out my "hunting room" and I came across a longbow that I bought a few years ago. I know nothing about traditional archery but, I thought it would be fun to try it. Well a friend of mine owns a bow shop and he recommended this bow to me. I shot it a lot for a while and even killed some small game with it but, I was never proficient enough to hunt big game with it. I just do not have the required time needed for practice. Well it has been sitting for at least 2 years that I can remember. I am going to sell it but, I need to know what it is worth.

The bow is beautiful and is in 100% perfect condition.

I believe it is a Doug Hill 64" bow and it is 53#@28"

These are all of the markings I can find. Should there be a model number or anything else?

Are these good longbows?

I know of the few I have shot it is the only one that basically has zero handshock and I know it is pretty fast for a longbow?

So tell me what you think and let me know if there are other things I need to find out about it.

Thanks

If you can kill small game with a weapon, you can kill big game with it.

If you could post a picture of the bow it would give us a better idea as to what it might be worth. Otherwise, I wouldn't venture to guess.

Comment

I will second LH's comment regarding small game. I shot a pig last year with my longbow then proceded to miss three rabbits and an armadillo. Funny how the bow spirits will humble you when you get a little cocky!

For what it is worth, I have been real busy with family and work lately and have been hunting with my compound but the call of traditional archery is strong and will NOT go away. Think long and hard before you sell it unless you REALLY need the money. I really regretted selling my last Sarrels longbow...so much so that I ended up trading a rifle for another one! Good luck in whatever you decide.

Oh and I have never heard of that bow but that doesn't mean squat. Someone on here will prolly be able to help you if you can post some pics. Take care.

Comment

I am sorry, I have never heard of that brand of longbow. Have no clue as to what it is worth.

Comment

Might it be a "Jerry Hill"? Jerry is Howard Hill's Nephew and sold bows under the Hill design but under his name. Not a clud how much it would be worth. If it is a straight limb longbow, I'm sure it will hammer your tooth fillings. Those buggers just hurt.

Comment

Well, what did you pay? I may be game for another Bow.

Comment

Split, Do you own a flat Bow or just repeating wrong information. Mind you I'm not calln' you out its just that a bow with the right arrows, brace, grip is no more shocky that any other Bow.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I have some pictures for you to look at. I know very little about traditional archery so take my thought with a grain of salt. When I said it has no hand shock I am just comparing it to the 5-6 other longbows I shot before I purchased this one. This one is really smooth to shoot compared to any other recurve or longbow I have shot. Now I have not shot them all and I am 100% positive there are better bows out there and if not there will be.

All I know is that it shoots well for me, looks beautiful and I do not feel comfortable shooting deer with it.

When I talk about small game I am referring to Javelina, rabbits(jack mostly) and small hogs. I think I was successful mainly due to the close range I was at. I have almost shot at does several times but, I never felt good so I did not release.

I would keep it but, I am cleaning out my closet. At some point you cannot continue to buy stuff and never get rid of anything. This will be the 12th bow I have sold in the last few months!! I need bowhunting anonymous!

Here they are:

Here are the markings on the bow. These are the only 2 places it has any marking at all.

If there is anything else I can get info wise please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I am not familiar with the Doug Hill bows. The picture of the one you have looks nice. I have seen some advertisement on his used bows that are asking between $250 and $300. I do not know the conditions of those bows. The picture of your seems to show some d-flex /re-flex in the limbs. If that is the case then it should be a good shooter. I would think that there is a market for the bow. Someone would sure like to have it. Good luck.

Comment

Restless:

Just speaking from experience. Had a couple of 'em early in my trad experience. Seems every straight limb longbow I ever shot shook my toenails and hammered my elbow. It could have been improper arrow weight/spine but nothing could tame the shock. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers...just speaking from my "personal" experience. I've heard some of them are smooth and shock free, I just have shot one that was.

Doug Key

Comment

Thats Fine I guess, Just seems to me that non reflex/deflex get a ton of bad press. Ive shot and owned a few and never have had one seem bad to me,A good friend and Bowyer shot one of mine and it rattled him but he held and shot it like a recurve. I shoot a Hill bow and it shoots as smooth as any

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I guys I will put it in the classifieds and see what happens. I guess if nothing else I can hang it on the wall or sell it on flea bay??

Comment

saw it on FLEA BAY

Comment

This one has not been on flea bay yet? I have been hunting!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X