Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
    I re-hired an employee who's worked in the landscape industry for several years before the oil field offered him a job making twice what he was making with me doing irrigation.

There will probably be several guys crawling back to those "crappy, low paying jobs" they left a few months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
      I would put some, or most, of that money into a CD, then turn around and take a loan out using the CD as collateral.
      Your money still stays in your account and you get a lower interest rate because it's much easier for the bank to repo your CD vs repo'ing your big toy.

I still don't understand making a big non-essential purchase right after losing your job, but I guess it's just an oilfield thing and I'll leave it at that.
      sometimes it's hard to enjoy cool toys when you're working 330 days a year... people that don't work in the oilfield don't get that.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        You don't realize that some guys whose rigs get stacked have been making over $1500 per day for the last several years.

I'm curious, what do these guys do?
        What are their job titles?
        I always hear about these type of jobs and how much people in o+g make but never know their positions/titles/duties.

I know a few dozen people in o+g but they are all corporate types (HR/Accounting/Legal/Sales/IT/Engineer/Geologist/Geophysicist/Procurement/etc)
        from what I hear it seems to me like they folks out on the rigs are the ones making $1,000+ per day (due to all the overtime and such)

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
          I always hear about these type of jobs and how much people in o+g make but never know their positions/titles/duties.

I know a few dozen people in o+g but they are all corporate types (HR/Accounting/Legal/Sales/IT/Engineer/Geologist/Geophysicist/Procurement/etc)
          from what I hear it seems to me like they folks out on the rigs are the ones making $1,000+ per day (due to all the overtime and such)
          Consultants easily make that much.

Comment

These guys get a day rate. And I'd say 1000 a day is on the lower side of it.

Comment

There are a lot of positions that pay well over $1,000 a day. directional drillers, tool operators, even MWD hands probably gross over $1,000 a day when you figure in their salary. Some positions are day rate only, others (usually larger companies) pay a low base salary plus a day rate for days worked in the field.

then you have sales people that sometimes make an obscene amount of money by simply talking about the products someone else created and doing whatever the engineers tell them to say. (when they're not on the golf course that is)

this is probably the most accurate list of oilfield job descriptions known to the industry..
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kyle1974; 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                Consultants easily make that much.
                I have been a "consultant" as well but not in the o+g industry and yes I've made over $1,000 a day during those times.
                But what do o+g consultants do?

Actually, I consulted for a few o+g clients before about 10 years ago. I actually was a sub for a big firm but the end client was Enron.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                  There are a lot of positions that pay well over $1,000 a day. directional drillers, tool operators, even MWD hands probably gross over $1,000 a day when you figure in their salary. Some positions are day rate only, others (usually larger companies) pay a low base salary plus a day rate for days worked in the field.

then you have sales people that sometimes make an obscene amount of money by simply talking about the products someone else created and doing whatever the engineers tell them to say. (when they're not on the golf course that is)

BUddy of mine lives between two sales guys in o+g.
                  One guy sales oil products/lubricants for Shell
                  the other guy sales drilling machinery (I guess bits or tools or something) to drilling companies. He's always flying to Europe and such.
                  So I can see those guys getting a percentage of what they sale.
                  I'm more curious about the guys ON the rigs.
                  I just googled and found that Drillers are a few steps up the totem pole from the bottom and they command a nice hourly rate.

I guess if you made $50 per hour base then did 8 hrs overtime at $75 per hour per day you could make quite a bit of dough in a 16 hour shift.
                  14 days back to back that's $14,000 every two week clip.

Gosh I hope many more of these guys were saving.
                  I know when I was young and dumb I didn't put away as much as I could have or should have.

Just did some more math and if you had a guy making $50 an hour base and $75 an hour overtime
                  if he did 16 hour shifts for 14 days on 7 days off
                  that's $238,000 for a 52 week year

how easy were these type of jobs/salaries/work schedules to come by when things were booming (2011-2014)?
                  Last edited by texansfan; 02-14-2015, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Yep, our sr. mwd's make almost $1000/day, (total gross with salary and everything) DD's are over that and I know several company men or consultants that make $1600-$2400/day. And I have plenty in the bank but I still wouldn't pay 15k cash for a ranger. Finance, maybe. But I'm a tightwad so prolly not. But if someone else wants to, it's their money. Do what they want with it.

Comment

That paints a different picture for me now.
                      Some guys have been busting their tails working 12+ hour days for 5+ days every week, saving a big portion of their money(probably cause they didn't have time to spend it)
                      Now they get laid off and actually welcome the time off so they can get a little break and enjoy life a little.
                      I can understand if that's the case.
                      Thank you for the clarification without the insults or condescending comments that others have replied with.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                        That paints a different picture for me now.
                        Some guys have been busting their tails working 12+ hour days for 5+ days every week, saving a big portion of their money(probably cause they didn't have time to spend it)
                        Now they get laid off and actually welcome the time off so they can get a little break and enjoy life a little.
                        I can understand if that's the case.
                        Thank you for the clarification without the insults or condescending comments that others have replied with.
                        Yes sir pereoanlly I have been home a total of 6 days since Christmas and that's broke up over 3 trips home.

As for the $1000/day+ guys there are Co Men, DDs, some mud engineers, very few MWDs, and maybe one other title that pulls that ON the rigs but it's not many and they aren't easy jobs and levels to acquire.

Comment

Most drillers make in the 30 range hourly and most companies stagger their work week so you don't get as much over time. Drillers make a lil over 100k a year

Comment

Is anyone here on the production side of things?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
                              Please tell me more about how low oil prices stimulate the economy. Who is making money in this market?
                              Lots of people, you need to look at the whole market not just a couple you pulled up. The dow is at 18,019.35 and there are a lot more up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rage em View Post
                                Is anyone here on the production side of things?

Yessir

Comment

Working...
                                X