Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX
Default Chisel Plow Question

Does anyone have any experience with a chisel plow similar to the King Kutter one shown below:
Name:  2017-06-07_13-00-16.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  28.2 KB

Currently, we have a 6ft Armstrong Ag disc harrow, but I was thinking that it would be better for us to use a chisel plow on our fields in early September, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then run our disc over it to chop it all up. I thought it might be more beneficial for us to get down deeper to break up the soil a little more to allow rain to soak in deep. These are for fall food plots (oats, wheat, rye and other). I wasn't sure if this chisel plow would hold up or not for our part of Texas (Menard County). Curious to get yalls thoughts on using a chisel plow and if it would help our success rate or not.
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

I use a chisel plow and it works pretty good for me. Here's where I have problems with it. If I try to plow an area thats never been plowed and has fair size rocks, it gets hung up or will actually bend the chisels. If I plow an area where tall grass/weeds are standing, it gets bogged up pretty quick. So I have to keep going back and pulling the weeds out by hand. That really slows things down and its a lot of work.

Other than that it does a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun shooter View Post
I use a chisel plow and it works pretty good for me. Here's where I have problems with it. If I try to plow an area thats never been plowed and has fair size rocks, it gets hung up or will actually bend the chisels. If I plow an area where tall grass/weeds are standing, it gets bogged up pretty quick. So I have to keep going back and pulling the weeds out by hand. That really slows things down and its a lot of work.

Other than that it does a great job.

Do you shred first. That seems to help a lot.
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
Do you shred first. That seems to help a lot.

Yes, now, I didn't before, but even after shredding if the grass was pretty thick and long it will clog up.

I'm my case I'm only plowing up my food plots and the deer keep it down to almost nothing. So when I come back and plow again its no problem.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I think it would be beneficial in certain soils and circumstances. It certainly will allow for moisture to penetrate deeper. The question is, is what you're planting gonna benefit from deep moisture ? I have one that I've never used, simply because I've never seen the need. Of course, it's hard to prove it doesn't work if you never use it.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Kenner97
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Agree if you have lots of grass, shredded or not, a chisel is going to clog up.

On a positive note, I had a field that was practically dirt for several years with no grass or anything. I decided to run the chisel and disc on it. We now have a natural clover field that comes back every year and the deer love it.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner97 View Post
Agree if you have lots of grass, shredded or not, a chisel is going to clog up.

On a positive note, I had a field that was practically dirt for several years with no grass or anything. I decided to run the chisel and disc on it. We now have a natural clover field that comes back every year and the deer love it.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
bgleaton
Ten Point

We strictly only plant fall food plots so cereal grains are the main seeds we broadcast. I just wanted to get yalls thoughts on if this would type of chisel plow would help us prepare the soil and improve the seedbed anymore than just using our disk.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
We strictly only plant fall food plots so cereal grains are the main seeds we broadcast. I just wanted to get yalls thoughts on if this would type of chisel plow would help us prepare the soil and improve the seedbed anymore than just using our disk.

I really don't think it would be "better". Maybe under some conditions but I think as a rule the disc is probably just at good. You know there is a thought that the more dirt you turn over the more moisture you take out of it.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
bgleaton
Ten Point

Name:  2017-06-07_14-12-36.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  19.4 KB
I also found this Fred Cain 5-shank chisel plow with loaded springs. This is about $900, which is $600 more than the King Kutter. I would think the springs would help against rocks and other trash. If a lot of you guys just use a disk to prepare your seedbed and don't plow, please help me understand how you cut through the grass and really get the soil ready to plant.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co

On just fall plots it would depend on what type of ground cover you are starting with. If you don't want to go the chisel route you can shred then roundup spray a couple weeks before discing. Those light chisels like that with a light tractor aren't going to do what you probably think it will. Most fall plots you shouldn't need the chisel to prepare the seedbed.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
bgleaton
Ten Point

Thanks for the input. We will disk the field a few extra times this year and hang our chain harrow behind the disk to help break up the clods and level it out at the same time. After doing that, we will broadcast the seed and then drag over it one more time with the chain harrow to lightly cover the seed. If we find a cultipacker for a decent price before then, we will add that to the arsenal.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the input. We will disk the field a few extra times this year and hang our chain harrow behind the disk to help break up the clods and level it out at the same time. After doing that, we will broadcast the seed and then drag over it one more time with the chain harrow to lightly cover the seed. If we find a cultipacker for a decent price before then, we will add that to the arsenal.
You have the capability/tractor size to get a heavier disk ?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
4_Fingers
Four Point

Have used both. found the king cutter like chisel works great, especially when there is a little moisture in the soil. Also, doesn't pull up the rocks as much as the traditional chisel plow does. Big chisel = big rocks on top of the ground. It won't go as deep, but seems to work really well and you can cover a lot of ground quickly. its also easy to handle and connect/disconnect. Another thing I tried that seemed to work really well is I'd connect it with a chain harrow behind it. Then i use a 4 inch PVC pipe I rigged up that looks like an upside down T. I drilled holes in it and then bunge cord it to the front of the chisel. As I road along, I can drop seed from a bag/coffee cans down the pipe and the seed would spread along the pipe and feed out through the holes, get turned over by the chisel, then smoothed out by the chain harrow, all in one pass. Down side is its not perfectly spread, you can't hold a beer while you do it, but for the time saving, i'll live with that.
4_Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
Radar
Six Point

Hunt In: Near Nockenut Texas and Ecleto Creek

Need utility tractor, 10hp per chisel minimum.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

We chisel plow our row crop fields every couple of years and it helps big time. Our corn yields are substantially higher. No question it would be great for your food plots. Try to get at least 18 inches deep.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #17
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

I'd go with a coulter chisel. Chisel plows take lots of horsepower for sure.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
cva34
Four Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

In right soil they work great..In wrong rocky soill they hit you in back of with ROCKS
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #19
bgleaton
Ten Point

We have a 65hp tractor. i'm sure that it would do the job with the king kutter chisel plow, but if you don't think it's worth it for fall food plots (cereal grains), then we won't worry about it.

What is a coulter chisel?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #20
yanta61
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee & Karnes county

Quote:
We have a 65hp tractor. i'm sure that it would do the job with the king kutter chisel plow, but if you don't think it's worth it for fall food plots (cereal grains), then we won't worry about it.

you will trash the king kutter with that big of tractor. My 40 hp takes it to the limit...

I would look for an older heavy duty used on..maybe craigslist.
yanta61 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #21
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:

It has Coulter in front of the chisels to cut debris. Keeps the plow from getting fouled with debris and turning it into a big dirt scoop you are dragging behind your tractor.

Our soil is totally different down here on the upper coast though.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #22
bgleaton
Ten Point

Default Pictures of Plots & Equipment

The main reason I'm asking about the chisel plow is because we want to try to get better results than what we got this past year. This past year was our first attempt at planting and I think we learned a lot. We tried to do everything in one weekend, which was a mistake on our part. I just want to make sure that you guys think we don't need any other equipment to have successful fall food plots - oats and wheat. As you can see in the pictures below, our soils aren't great and I'm sure there are a lot of rocks 8 to 10inches into the soil so i don't know if a chisel plow would just stir them up or if it's even needed to do a fall food plot. I apologize for all the questions, I just want to make sure that we have all the equipment we need to use and try to get some pointers from you guys on how to make a nice food plot.

Food Plot Equipment:
Name:  IMG_9541 (Large).jpg
Views: 121
Size:  64.4 KB
Name:  IMG_9565 (Large).jpg
Views: 123
Size:  109.0 KB
We also have a 6ft drag harrow

Food Plots we planted this past fall:
NW Corner Field (4 acres):
Name:  NW Corner Field.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  113.3 KB
Name:  NW Corner Field (2).jpg
Views: 127
Size:  77.7 KB

Middle Field (1 acre strip):
Name:  Middle Field (1).jpg
Views: 124
Size:  56.2 KB
Name:  Middle Field (2).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  141.8 KB

Potential New Food Plot Locations:
Name:  Potential Food Plot Location (1).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  55.4 KB
Name:  Potential Food Plot (South Field).jpg
Views: 123
Size:  54.9 KB

As you can see, our disk didn't do a great job in the NW corner field in some spots where there was thick grass. Maybe it was too dry when we disked which didn't allow us to get down a little deeper. Maybe if we angle the front disks down more and add 300lbs or so to the disk it will allow us to get a little more cutting action. Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on if you guys think we need any other equipment to plant fall food plots for our type of soils or if we can get by with what we have. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with a chisel plow similar to the King Kutter one shown below:
Attachment 857459

Currently, we have a 6ft Armstrong Ag disc harrow, but I was thinking that it would be better for us to use a chisel plow on our fields in early September, let it sit for a couple of weeks and then run our disc over it to chop it all up. I thought it might be more beneficial for us to get down deeper to break up the soil a little more to allow rain to soak in deep. These are for fall food plots (oats, wheat, rye and other). I wasn't sure if this chisel plow would hold up or not for our part of Texas (Menard County). Curious to get yalls thoughts on using a chisel plow and if it would help our success rate or not.
That's a cultivator not a chisel plow.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #24
clffrdfdge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kempner Texas, Bandera Area

If you have any kind of grass they don't do very well. If the grass has been cut they act like a big rake! They do not cut the hard ground very well. You will need to break the ground with a breaking plow.
clffrdfdge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #25
txwhitetail
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by clffrdfdge View Post
That's a cultivator not a chisel plow.
A lot of people use those for both uses and use different points on it to get different results. Call it whatever word you want to call it.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:59 PM   #26
Sergio_III
Ten Point

I am no expert but we are in our second year to plant food plots and we have used a 3-bottom plow on new food plots. We usually spray the existing vegetation with Gly, Plow 2 weeks later and then disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sergio_III is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #27
Radar
Six Point

Hunt In: Near Nockenut Texas and Ecleto Creek

Name:  plow.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  112.2 KB

Chisel plow, that 65 hp tractor will pull a 5 shank plow That cultivator probably will pull apart in the soil you got pics of. Although it might work.

I would not plow, just use your disc with some added weight. This is my rig and it cuts good. You can plant radishes and beets in the winter to help loosen compacted soil. Two passes with this disc and its good to go. Also Drycreek is very knowledgeable about this stuff and can give more advice.
Name:  disc.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  76.4 KB
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top