Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-31-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas
Question Arrow setup

I've been soaking up as much info as i can about proper tuning of your hunting shafts lately.
Recently i picked up some CE Heritage 250 (400 spine) cut to 30.5" with a 125 grain head. I dont have a scale to know exactly what my setup weighs but guess it to be 450 grains +or- a few.
Shooting out of a 45# Sage at 28" draw, this should be a sufficient hunting rig? If i wanted to go , say, another 50 grains up front i need to cut down my arrow about an inch (which is already long enough to clear my fingers with a broadhead) and add a heavier insert or go to a 175gr head?

I really want to practice with what i will hunt with especially since im new at this.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 12:09 PM   #2
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Have you shot them yet?

Richard.
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
shortstroke 91
Eight Point

My guess is that those 250s are gonna be way stiff with just 125 out front on a #45 Sage. My bet is to get really good flight you'll have to go up to 225 or 250.
Just my $.02.
I'd be willing to bet you could get away with 150s or maybe even 90s with 125 though. That will depend on draw length, release and centershot though.
shortstroke 91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
Have you shot them yet?

Richard.
Yes, and they are grouping decent for my very short limited experience.
I want heavy, but dont want to overstep what my bow can handle for just getting started in trad
Old 05-31-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
My guess is that those 250s are gonna be way stiff with just 125 out front on a #45 Sage. My bet is to get really good flight you'll have to go up to 225 or 250.
Just my $.02.
I'd be willing to bet you could get away with 150s or maybe even 90s with 125 though. That will depend on draw length, release and centershot though.
I did a write up about these arrows the other day. At the range, they flew absolutely great. no tail whip or drifting.

These will work just fine for getting positive form and actually seeing results in any changes i make, but i wasnt sure about the overall arrow weight as it pertains to hunting with a 45# bow
Old 05-31-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
KenWood
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

My arrows are 400 spine. They are also 31.33" long with 75 grain inserts and 125 grain points. I pull 54#. It's a longbow but it's a center cut longbow. Assuming your draw is 28" your pulling 45# so those shafts are gonna be way stiff. You probably need 500's with 150 to 200 up front.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
KenWood
Eight Point

Oops. You posted while I was typing. If it works you, it works. Sorry.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
KenWood
Eight Point

On your question, 10 grain per pound is a pretty good hunting arrow. Looks like your there.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM   #9
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Yes, and they are grouping decent for my very short limited experience.
I want heavy, but dont want to overstep what my bow can handle for just getting started in trad
I would have said they were too stiff but if you're making them fly straight and hitting where you want then run with it. Great thing about traditional is that there are very few hard-n-fast rules on what works and what doesn't.

Richard
Junkers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #10
bloodstick
Ten Point

Sounds like a plan. I'll just keep them where they are at.

Might try to run one through a pig after a few weeks to judge their performance on game
Old 05-31-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
I've been soaking up as much info as i can about proper tuning of your hunting shafts lately.
Recently i picked up some CE Heritage 250 (400 spine) cut to 30.5" with a 125 grain head. I dont have a scale to know exactly what my setup weighs but guess it to be 450 grains +or- a few.
Shooting out of a 45# Sage at 28" draw, this should be a sufficient hunting rig? If i wanted to go , say, another 50 grains up front i need to cut down my arrow about an inch (which is already long enough to clear my fingers with a broadhead) and add a heavier insert or go to a 175gr head?

I really want to practice with what i will hunt with especially since im new at this.
You have been giving some solid advise. You're asking, you need to listen my friend.

Your arrows will not work for that bow as the are, they are way too stiff spined.

You said you want to practice with what you hunt, you need way more weight up front (without cutting your arrow) or lighter spine shafts. Your current setup may group great, when you put 125 grain broadheads on those arrows they are going to hit 2' to the right. Good luck!!!
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtandhobble View Post
You have been giving some solid advise. You're asking, you need to listen my friend.

Your arrows will not work for that bow as the are, they are way too stiff spined.

You said you want to practice with what you hunt, you need way more weight up front (without cutting your arrow) or lighter spine shafts. Your current setup may group great, when you put 125 grain broadheads on those arrows they are going to hit 2' to the right. Good luck!!!
Im only asking because i honestly dont really know the outcome, but why would a 125g fieldpoint and a 125 g broadhead have such different POI? 2 feet?

And to fix it would be to add more weight up front, say start at 50 grains?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #13
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
My arrows are 400 spine. They are also 31.33" long with 75 grain inserts and 125 grain points. I pull 54#. It's a longbow but it's a center cut longbow. Assuming your draw is 28" your pulling 45# so those shafts are gonna be way stiff. You probably need 500's with 150 to 200 up front.
Not according to the 3rivers calculator. Although 175 grains up front would be better.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Last edited by DRT; 05-31-2017 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: 8
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
bloodstick
Ten Point

I can understand my broadheads not grouping with fieldpoints, but i never had to tune a broadhead back any more than 5 or so inches (shooting my compound) to have it group better with fieldpoints

Last edited by bloodstick; 05-31-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 05-31-2017, 01:28 PM   #15
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtandhobble View Post

^^^ this.

Also remember that broadheads will affect your spine differently than field points. Broadheads are longer than field points and so they affect spine differently its not a ton but it will show up if you are grossly out of tune to begin with.

I shoot a 50lb bow at 27". I draw 27".

400 spine easton axis trads cut to 29.25" 75 grain insert and 162 grain broadhead and 5gr nock collar.

I would suggest you video tape your self shooting. Mark your arrow with a sharpie at one inch increments and then review the video so you really know what your true draw length is.

If it is in fact 28" then you need to add some weight up front. I wouldn't cut your shafts at the moment.

There are tons of heavy broad head options out there. Don't get stuck on 125 grain.

More weight up front means higher FOC which means better flight and better penetration.

A slightly weak arrow is Much better than a stiff one when it comes to shooting broadheads.

JMO
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
DRT
Pope & Young

The 125s are partially my fault. I sent him multiple arrow spine, length and head combinations. 500s at 29" with 125s was one of them. We felt that was a little short/ head close to the hand. The last one was what I just posted.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #17
DRT
Pope & Young

Send me your address Jarret and I'll mail you some 175 grain field points to try.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
bloodstick
Ten Point

Its not so much that i got stuck on 125 gr heads, but that is what Bowzone had at the time when i purchased my arrows.
During some talks with Gary about customizing an arrow for my setup. I wanted about as heavy an arrow as i could get, without decreasing the effectiveness of my bow. We spoke about a 400 spine which is a little heavier than 500 and leaving it around 30.5"

At that point, i tried it out and they flew good. Not that i would really know what a good flight out of trad gear looks like compared to poor. But Joey, the tech at the shop, agreed he did not see any tail whip either and it looked like a dart. So i just kind of stuck with it. Knowing i wanted more weight upfront for hunting, i posted this thread to get some more insight from others.

To me, it looks good when i shoot but i have yet to try a broadhead out of a recurve. Which i wanted to truly tune to the best of my ability for hunting purposes (which isnt very much at the moment) before buying any broadheads. I'll try some heavier field tips and see where that takes me first
Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Send me your address Jarret and I'll mail you some 175 grain field points to try.

Thanks Gary, but i already had some on order to play around and test with.

Appreciate the offer
Old 05-31-2017, 01:56 PM   #20
DRT
Pope & Young

I think you will find most archery shops slighty light on stuff for traditional archers. The percentage of us vs compound shooters is small.

Old 05-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #21
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Its not so much that i got stuck on 125 gr heads, but that is what Bowzone had at the time when i purchased my arrows.
During some talks with Gary about customizing an arrow for my setup. I wanted about as heavy an arrow as i could get, without decreasing the effectiveness of my bow. We spoke about a 400 spine which is a little heavier than 500 and leaving it around 30.5"

At that point, i tried it out and they flew good. Not that i would really know what a good flight out of trad gear looks like compared to poor. But Joey, the tech at the shop, agreed he did not see any tail whip either and it looked like a dart. So i just kind of stuck with it. Knowing i wanted more weight upfront for hunting, i posted this thread to get some more insight from others.

To me, it looks good when i shoot but i have yet to try a broadhead out of a recurve. Which i wanted to truly tune to the best of my ability for hunting purposes (which isnt very much at the moment) before buying any broadheads. I'll try some heavier field tips and see where that takes me first
you should come to one of the local 3-d shoots, usually a few of us are there and happy to help.

Golden Triangle is having one this Saturday.

Banana Bend is having a TBOT shoot on Saturday the 10th and a regular shoot the 11th

Brazoria (Angleton) has one on June 17th

Buffalo Tbot shoot on June 18th

All have us have shot the wrong spined arrow for longer than we care to admit.
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
bloodstick
Ten Point

Buffalo isnt too far from the house.
I'll try my best to make one or more of these.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #23
DRT
Pope & Young

I've observed that what is wrong to one may not be for another. Personally I like a bit of upfront weight but I'm not going to shoot 160fps when a perfectly workable set up will get me 185fps. Speed counts too if only for a manageable trajectory.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #24
shortstroke 91
Eight Point

Quote:
Not according to the 3rivers calculator. Although 175 grains up front would be better.

Gary, change that point weight to 125 and see what the numbers say...
shortstroke 91 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 03:18 PM   #25
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

Unless those shafts are pretty heavy or you have a heavy insert I'm not seeing where you are even close to 450 grains. Maybe 420. I don't even think about using 400 spine until I exceed 50 pounds draw weight which would be a 47 or 48 pound bow for me. I shot full length 500s with 125 up front for several years out of a 45 pound bow with no problems. I now cut my arrows to about 30" and have 145 and 175 up front depending on which bow I am using.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #26
DRT
Pope & Young

I understand. That was the point of my posts. But typing while driving I may have not been thorough.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:26 PM   #27
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:

Dude... that is way off. I just put his info into the calculator and got

56.8 for the bow.
77 for the arrows he described.

I am not sure why you didn't select Carbon Express Heritage 250s in the drop down. Maybe that had something to do with it. The calculator is a bit fidgety and you can't use that without thinking about it.

Those arrows are too stiff... by a pretty big margin. (but I knew that from experience before entering the calculator... 45-50# sages use CX150s.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 05-31-2017 at 03:31 PM..
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #29
DRT
Pope & Young

If they are a 250 spine but he said they are a 400 spine.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #30
bloodstick
Ten Point

the carbon express heritage 250 (250 is the their own labeling, .391 spine as per the CE website) are 10.20 GPI and im shooting them almost full length. Cut right at 30.5" with 125 grain head, 15 grain insert.

From what feedback i have, the arrow is too stiff so i need to add weight up front. What else am i missing? the groups i am getting are sub-par but for a beginner, im just happy i can hit the target

Will an extra 50 grains make that much of a difference for me to notice them at my level of experience?
Old 05-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #31
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

To answer your question bloodstick, with the carbon express shafts, you are very likely to have good "hunting arrow" weight. Carbon express shafts are around 10-11 grains per inch. If anything, sometimes they can be too heavy. In your setup, you are running nearly 13 grains per pound of draw which will give you a bit of an arc and noticeable drop past 10-15 yards. At 45#s, you are better off served with CX150s so you don't have to rely on so much head weight to spine them correctly.

The one thing that having a heavy shaft does though, is it makes it harder to get a high FOC that everybody talks about. Lighter shafts allow you to run a heavier spine and then put more weight up front to spine them correctly. I don't think you need to stress over that right now though.

I am not retired, have young kiddos, so it can be hard to meet up with people... but perhaps we could figure something out. I could likely spend an hour with you or so Saturday morning if you can make it down to Tomball area.

Last edited by SwampRabbit; 05-31-2017 at 03:49 PM..
Old 05-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #32
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
the carbon express heritage 250 (250 is the their own labeling, .391 spine as per the CE website) are 10.20 GPI and im shooting them almost full length. Cut right at 30.5" with 125 grain head, 15 grain insert.

From what feedback i have, the arrow is too stiff so i need to add weight up front. What else am i missing? the groups i am getting are sub-par but for a beginner, im just happy i can hit the target

Will an extra 50 grains make that much of a difference for me to notice them at my level of experience?
You need to go from 125 up front to about 200-225 up front. I would say 175s with 50 grain inserts weights would do you fine. Carbon express takes the GT insert weights (it is what I use)

See my note above.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #33
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
If they are a 250 spine but he said they are a 400 spine.

Carbon express heritages are

75 = 700 spine (use different inserts)
90 = 600 spine (use different inserts)
150 = 500 spine
250 = 400 spine
Old 05-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #34
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
To answer your question bloodstick, with the carbon express shafts, you are very likely to have good "hunting arrow" weight. Carbon express shafts are around 10-11 grains per inch. If anything, sometimes they can be too heavy. In your setup, you are running nearly 13 grains per pound of draw which will give you a bit of an arc and noticeable drop past 10-15 yards. At 45#s, you are better off served with CX150s so you don't have to rely on so much head weight to spine them correctly.

The one thing that having a heavy shaft does though, is it makes it harder to get a high FOC that everybody talks about. Lighter shafts allow you to run a heavier spine and then put more weight up front to spine them correctly. I don't think you need to stress over that right now though.

I am not retired, have young kiddos, so it can be hard to meet up with people... but perhaps we could figure something out. I could likely spend an hour with you or so Saturday morning if you can make it down to Tomball area.

Tomball isn't a bad trip from the house, about 45 minutes. But i have previous engagements already. It'll need to be another weekend. Appreciate the nice gesture

I would play around with the calculator more, but its blocked here at the office.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #35
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I figured you probably ran down to bowzone during lunch. They are great folks, but know very little about trad and trad shooting.

I still went there for arrows for a while, but honestly, the lady who does their arrows kept cutting them wrong and I just eventually got the stuff to make up my own. It is cheaper in the long run too.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #36
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
Carbon express heritages are

75 = 700 spine (use different inserts)
90 = 600 spine (use different inserts)
150 = 500 spine
250 = 400 spine
I run 500 spine at 50 lbs but need 400 as my head is a half inch off my shelf. And even then with a 27 inch draw the 400svwould be longer but I will need to jump up to 200 grain heads. 400 spine is fine for him with a 175 grain point. The numbers on the chart say so. However we know you can tweek that with brace height and form issues. I think with 175 grain heads he will be fine.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #37
bloodstick
Ten Point

so my options are
1. step down to the 150 (500 spine) 30.5" and keep the 125 grain point weight
calculator on my phone gives me 56.3 and 54.7 dynamic spines. There is a
little room to tweak and get them closer. 177 fps 32ft-lbs energy

2. keep the 250's and increase my point weight to 175 grains and insert of 50 grains. calculator on my phone gives me 56.3 and 54.3 dynamic spines. 160 fps 32.6 ft-lbs energy

Both give me almost identical results with the exception of 17 FPS.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 PM   #38
KenWood
Eight Point

I know it's not really recommended for newbs to bare shaft tune. That's for sure. I do, however, believe it may be beneficial to at least bareshaft plane. Let's face it, a lot of guys have put it down because they just couldn't get any results from their practice. Sometimes it's really easy to become frustrated even if you know what your doing. Having arrows that are at least close would help that. I know poorly tuned arrows with field points will group. But poorly tuned arrows are not very forgiving to form flaws that especially new guys have. A good way to get close is to strip the fletching off of one shaft and shoot it. I'm willing to bet your nock is flying way right of the point. Shoot multiple times to figure out a consistent result. You can add weight till you get a straight flyer but I'm betting you will think it's way too heavy. Just my 2 cents.
That will get it close. In my opinion, grouping bare with fletched shafts is getting it better.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #39
KenWood
Eight Point

Also keep in mind that that calculator is useless until you have an arrow you've tuned and can adjust the form factor. That thing is great if you have perfect form. Unlike me.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #40
DRT
Pope & Young

It's worked great for me but I've only had to set up for two bows so far.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #41
KenWood
Eight Point

It always ended up too stiff for me. If I put in -8 for correction factor it hits it on the head.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #42
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
so my options are
1. step down to the 150 (500 spine) 30.5" and keep the 125 grain point weight
calculator on my phone gives me 56.3 and 54.7 dynamic spines. There is a
little room to tweak and get them closer. 177 fps 32ft-lbs energy

2. keep the 250's and increase my point weight to 175 grains and insert of 50 grains. calculator on my phone gives me 56.3 and 54.3 dynamic spines. 160 fps 32.6 ft-lbs energy

Both give me almost identical results with the exception of 17 FPS.
Option 3... shoot with somebody who has experience with this kind of stuff. Hell, I know how to tune, but I still go shoot with experienced eyes to get proper feedback.

Until you can swing that, throw some 175s and realize you are not done yet... you likely will go higher... not be happy with that arrow for 45# and will tune a different arrow shaft/head afterall. Hell, you might just buy a different bow before you even get that far.

But... if you want to hunt with that bow... you need to get spined right.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #43
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
Also keep in mind that that calculator is useless until you have an arrow you've tuned and can adjust the form factor. That thing is great if you have perfect form. Unlike me.
What I don't understand about this statement is you can't have an arrow that tunes right without a calculation method. And the form factor is a guess unit you bought, shot and adjusted the arrow set up.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #44
bloodstick
Ten Point

I wont rule out buying another. Cant have just one.
But in the meantime, i do want to set this one up correctly.
Thanks yall for the good info.
I may be able to do something about Saturday morning Swamprabbit. Will let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2017, 05:36 PM   #45
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas
Talking

Quote:
I wont rule out buying another. Cant have just one.
But in the meantime, i do want to set this one up correctly.
Thanks yall for the good info.
I may be able to do something about Saturday morning Swamprabbit. Will let you know

Go see Swamp, you will be happy that you did. He's an Aggie Engineer sometimes you have to ask him to dumb it down a little.

Last edited by caughtandhobble; 05-31-2017 at 06:00 PM..
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 05:38 PM   #46
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

LOTS of good info here, but remember if it works for you then keep going. Just some food for thought. I shoot a 51# @ my 27" draw longbow. My arrows are the GT 500 Nugent pinks (easy to find and I like the way they look). I have 100 grain brass inserts + 145 grain heads. Arrows are cut to 29". I have NO CLUE what the stupid numbers on the "calculator say" My arrows weighs in at 507 grain. My Broadheads actually weigh 20 grains more than the filed points and I notice "0" difference in flight.
-The reason I posted this is to just get your mind turning that you can really add up nose weight in carbon arrows. I do not neccessarily think it's mandatory as few things are. I honestly think a full length arrow flies VERY good set-up the same way. The pig in my avatar was killed with this set-up and most of the shaft was hanging out the backside.
Best of luck and welcome to the trad bow. :-)
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 05:41 PM   #47
DRT
Pope & Young

I had no clue but just using the force and trying to make it rocket science almost made me give up before I started.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #48
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Agreed!!!^^
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #49
DRT
Pope & Young

The Zen master showed me the path of wiser choice and even though I've learned more about the ways of the force it's not rocket science. It just takes a lot of shooting and willingness to make small adjustments to get it where it works for you. It took me 6 months to get to the point where I felt like I knew where I was. Not that I was where I need to be but at least I wasn't just drifting and adjusting all the time after that.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #50
bloodstick
Ten Point

After a great practice session yesterday, i totally suck today.
I learned i need to build a nice backstop