Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 05-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default Maybe I'm just not tough enough

I bought a Black Widow calf hair tab and Bear Paw summer shooting glove from Kustom King. First I will say that the tab has a double split and I don't like how it doesn't protect my ring finger well. However after a couple of rounds I did shoot okay with it. I actually shoot better with the new glove.

That said my Bear Paw speed glove has leather covered my some sort of nylon. It protects my fingers well. The summer glove just the nylon. Although I shoot better with the summer glove after about two dozen arrows I'm back in the speed glove. Just not enough thickness. Which also makes me shoot better because I can feel the string better. I need to toughen up I guess.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Draco
Pope & Young

You wuss. Really though, why do you need to feel your string? I use a PAK tab with two layers of leather. I don't want to feel the string. If it's one layer across with no dimples between your fingers then you will have a much faster and cleaner release. It helped Bisch when I finally got him to try it. Of course, he's hard headed as a goat.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #3
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I was extremely disappointed in the Bearpaw summer glove. I took mine and tossed it into the has been box after only a dozen or so shots. I like the concept but the fingers have maybe 65% of the protection of a regular Bearpaw glove. My fingers were stinging enough on the first couple of shots to know that it wasn't going to work for me.
60 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 07:56 AM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

I'm hoping my fingers will toughen up some. I shoot split so a glove or split tab is needed but I couldn't see in the pic that the Widow tab had separate finger pieces for both lower fingers.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

I wish that I could use a tab. I finally figured out that the "v" in the string is raking the outside of the index and ring fingers. I keep my fingers sanded down from restoring bows. I sanded an entire bow yesterday and the first and second fingers are pretty tender today. Enough so that I may not be able to shoot much for a few days.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
DRT
Pope & Young

I constantly have cuts, scrapes and punctures from cables and mechanical work but I've always loved by the mantra of no pain no gain.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Felix40
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

If my super glove ever wears out I dont know what I will replace it with.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
SwampGhost
Ten Point

Hunt In: La, Tx, Ks, Ne,Il

I have shot thousands of arrows with no issues but this weekend at Chester, using the same Eichler Tab I've always used, I worked up a blister on the tip of my ring finger. The Eichler tab is pretty thick too so I don't know what's up, maybe I'm doing something different....
SwampGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #9
LAW
Eight Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction

I really like my Bear Paw summer glove
LAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

I will keep shooting it and trying to toughen up. The tab though will be donated or tossed.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
You wuss. Really though, why do you need to feel your string? I use a PAK tab with two layers of leather. I don't want to feel the string. If it's one layer across with no dimples between your fingers then you will have a much faster and cleaner release.
I'm 100% with Draco on this one.
Minus the wuss part.

It took me a long time to convince myself to stick with a tab, but once I did I was darn happy for it the switch.

I don't have to/don't really want to feel the string.
Once I locate my fingers onto the string they aren't going to move, so there's no need to feel it.

I want to feel my anchor.

Feeling my anchor with a glove was difficult if not impossible.
Unless I cut the ends out of the finger stalls, which helped, but still not overly consistent.

A properly fit tab will give you ample finger protection, yet still allow your fingers to consistently feel your anchor spots with them.
A consistent anchor is crucial to consistent shooting.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
DRT
Pope & Young

I hear ya Rick. That's what I like about the summer glove as well. Finger tips are thinner and with my anchor point makes it easier to be consistent. I will probably try a another style of tab. I've tried shooting three under and bit just feels like have no control.

I've gotten soft in my older self. Supervising made me soft. Now just seasonal work makes it worse. I am a wuss compared to days gone by.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

DRT, I think you are your own worse enemy. LOL I should know those thoughts all to well. It's a mark of a man who has a need to be the best in his abilities. I always felt as though if it was good enough for me then no one else should be able to complain. BEYOND THAT>
I shoot the regular Bear Paw glove. It's really thick, and I sweat in it, but since going to that glove I do not wear the blister between my fingers anymore. I tried a few different tabs. For whatever reason I hit my nose and cause a raw spot or my cheek with the ends of the tab?? My primary anchor point is the back of my jaw bone and the knuckle of my thumb.
T go with what Rick said, Once I have my fingers on the string, I quit thinking and trying to feel it. I leave my hook and draw. Are you having issues with alternate finger pressure? That would be a reason to want to feel the string.. Maybe?
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

I shoot with a glove and I like to be able to feel the string even though I might not need to feel the string. I've tried the gloves with cordovan, but just couldn't get used to not feeling the string. I just don't like using a tab. Before any of you tell me to give the tab a chance, for the 15 years I shot a compound I used a tab, so I'm familiar with a tab.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #15
DRT
Pope & Young

Not sure what alternate finger pressure means. As far as I know I'm not having any problems. Just wanted to have a second hot weather glove and try the tab thing.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #16
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

You are probably not tough enough... but not sure what that has to do with your tab/glove conundrum.

I am with Rick and Bob, I don't have any desire to "feel" the string. Feeling it doesn't provide me any feedback that I can think of that helps me "feel" the shot.

As Rick said though, I do want to feel my anchor point... but I am not sure I need to feel that with the tips of my fingers... I feel the contact with my face. But I am not as good of a shot as Rick and we use different anchor points... so maybe that plays a role I hadn't given much thought to.

But now for the interesting thing. I finally got to shoot a Rick Barbee tab!!! (not because he sold me one... ) Just happened into one. Well as it turns out I have gotten so used to my Saunders PAK tab, that Rick's tab felt weird. I would get a bit of a slap on my finger tips. It took me a while, but I finally determined that it was because of the ergonomics of getting the tab into the right position vs the ergonomics of the PAK tab. Once I figured out the positioning... the sting went away. Even so, I felt the string moreso with Rick's tab vs my tab. My tab has more of a rubbery/plastic and Rick's has a woven material that gives a little more. I am going to play with it a little more, but unfortunately, just like the "old" Saunders tabs... they don't make them any more. I ordered a "new" Saunders tab and I can tell what everybody has been complaining about... I'll give it a go and try and "break it in" but I am already none to pleased with how much stiffer the new plastic is.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #17
RickBarbee
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where I am

The size of a tab is very important.
Most folks who have trouble with them are having that trouble because the tab isn't the right size. Usually to large, but occasionally to small.

Tab size is determined by the width of your fingers. Not the length.
The length of your fingers is accommodated by how you position the tab on your fingers front to back.

My tabs (not trying to advertise my tabs here) are designed specifically for the use of a standard deep hook on the string, and sometimes are not satisfactory to someone who prefers to shoot off their finger tips.

Get the tab (any tab) width right for your finger width, and get it positioned correctly on you fingers without having a lot of extra length, and you won't get any slap on your face from it, you won't get any finger sting, AND it will generally lend to a much quieter shot.

Rick
RickBarbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampGhost View Post
I have shot thousands of arrows with no issues but this weekend at Chester, using the same Eichler Tab I've always used, I worked up a blister on the tip of my ring finger. The Eichler tab is pretty thick too so I don't know what's up, maybe I'm doing something different....
It also rained and we got soaked. Lots of folks complaining about wet tabs and issues. Except me and my pak tab.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #19
DRT
Pope & Young

I have short, thick fingers. The medium summer glove I ordered fits the diameter of my fingers better. The speed glove is a large and I may order a medium to see if it makes a difference.

I'm not struggling with anything. I'm just comfortable enough with my form and shooting that I want to see if something else will work better for me.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #20
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

I just shoot fingers.
White Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #21
DRT
Pope & Young

Now that's what I'm talkin bout.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #22
DRT
Pope & Young

Went out to shoot and fingers are still too sore to use summer glove. Put on my speed glove and shot a few dozen arrows.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
White Falcon
Pope & Young

I try to only shoot enough arrows to keep my form in check. When I start getting tired, I quit for the day. When I pull my arrows from the target, I pull the best shot last and try to visualize that shot in my head. Just my $.02
Old 05-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #24
DRT
Pope & Young

I pretend i really was shooting at the dot in the top left corner with the one stray arrow.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
DRT
Pope & Young

Or the bottom right.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #26
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Nice group! Remember it is only the first shot that counts.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #27
DRT
Pope & Young

If that were all that counts than we would only shoot one arrow per practice session.

What counts is being consistent and being able to train your body and mind so that when you only do get only one shot it goes where you need it to.

Thus the reason I shoot a lot of arrows.

Plus I enjoy it.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:37 PM   #28
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

It takes me fifteen or twenty shots to get my fingers and eyeballs working correctly. I can take a break for five minutes and have to start all over. So, with that in mind I have to wait for deer to get really close and first shot of the day challenges are out.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #29
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

I gave up on tabs very quickly. I keep thwacking my nose with the string. Does any one make an archers nose bra?

Im trying to migrate from full leather elk gloves to nitrile coated gloves. I padded some with duct tape on the inside but it has formed a groove valley. Im about to rip the duct tape out and glue thick dense felt or something else on three fingers on both gloves. Ive identified some neoprene beer coozies that will be dissected for experimentation. Not all coozie material is the same...even the neoprene. Im going for thin but dense.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #30
DRT
Pope & Young

I always shoot a few arrows before going to sit.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #31
Straitshot
Four Point

Can't pinch or no pinch (Can't remember which) calf hair tab for 15 years but kept having to buy a new one when the hair would wear off. Then I discovered the Bateman and that has been my go to tab for the last 10 or15 years. I have about 4 of them but I have been shooting the same one for the last 4 years. I carry a couple in the truck so if I get to the range and realize I forgot and left my tab at home I will always have one. I also quit using an armguard years ago unless shooting a longbow. Just one less item I don't have to worry about forgetting. However, it is an item you don't want to forget if you shoot a longbow.

Last edited by Straitshot; 05-24-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Straitshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
yleecoyote23
Eight Point

I stopped using a glove about 12 years ago...and have been using a SAM (Super Archery Mitt) ever since...unfortunately Martin quit making them. But I was able to pick up 3 new ones from a guy on Trad Gang. I still have my first one (still usable, but looks like heck), so these next 3 should last me until I'm in my 80's... They are just thick enough that I can shoot a lot without getting sore fingers, and flexible enough that I can still leave it on and remove arrows with it on.
yleecoyote23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #33
cbc0905
Spike

Mr. Barbee...where/how can we pick up one of your tabs?
cbc0905 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 06:54 PM   #34
Retsbew
Four Point

I gave up gloves 25 years ago and stopped buying tabs maybe 15 years ago. It just didn't make sense to me to keep spending good money on something that is so easy to make (Same with arrows. And strings). Marshall-style tabs have worked for many years for many archers, and they still do. Cut to wear over a thin glove (it gets cold here) they work as well or better than most factory tabs be they leather, nylon, calfhair or plastic...and it's near impossible to wear them out. I always have a few spares around that I'm breaking in...they don't wear out but do seem to grow legs (??). After years with recurves I shoot longbows most of the time now and except for cold weather an armguard isn't needed anymore (it's all in the grip).

It's funny how as years pass the things I (we?) do tend to get simpler/less complicated. Except when trying to pull heavy wool hunting pants on over long johns without falling onto the floor or farting, or worse. Nothing at all simple or funny about that, except to my wife. She thinks it's hysterical. ****ed pants.
Retsbew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 PM   #35
DRT
Pope & Young

Like Sasquach making his own cloths and tools.

I'm not there yet. For now I let someone else make it for me. I'm still busy making ends meet.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #36
robert13t
Six Point

I like my dura glove but had the numb finger thing the first couple of times shooting. I don't even notice now, nor do they go numb. May just need to try a different glove. I haven't had much luck using a tab. Good luck and keep trying something till it works. Shooting should be fun, not painful. Once the fun goes, might as well shoot a compound!
robert13t is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #37
DRT
Pope & Young

I just went back to the speed glove.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #38
DRT
Pope & Young

On a side note I have a very lightly used medium tab and summer glove for someone.