Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 01-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #201
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdiver View Post
Do y'all have any recommendations on supplemental protein?
I would first ask what your objective is. Keep deer around or increase antler size?

If it's keeping deer around , great, supplement can help.

If it's grow bigger deer, then I'd ask what your situation is. Reason is, in order for you to realize benefits of feed, bucks still need to reach 6+ yrs. If that's unlikely in your situation where you historically dont have bucks of that age, then it becomes an investment of time, effort, and money that has low probability for return.

IMHO, about any reputable feed will work. No reason to feed more than 20% protein. I used to feed Purina and Moormans. Both worked well.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #202
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

True! If at least half of your neighbors aren't being selective with what they shoot, it will be an effort of futility. But! feeding would still help the resident does which would help fawn health, I would think.
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #203
Bdiver
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I only have 20 acres. About 60 acres to the west are heavily wooded with a couple houses being built on 10 acres tracts. That didn't seem to slow the deer down to much. There are several hundred acres of mixed woods and cow pasture connected to the northeast as well. To the best of my knowledge the only thing being put out is corn and not much by my land at all. I have tons of red and white oaks and a couple dried creek bottoms and right where I'm at seems to be a great natural funnel. I'd like to manage the herd as much as possible. I don't think there are that many folks around my land that hunt much and if they do, it's probably just from the. Ack porch. I doubt there are any food plots so hopefully I can create quite the deer haven.
Bdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #204
txfirefighter_04
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Tuned in!! Great thread & thanks for the info
txfirefighter_04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #205
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Yes! Yes it is.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #206
Doe Doe Spike
Spike

Which ecoregion of Texas is most favorable for deer based upon natural vegetation?

Last edited by Doe Doe Spike; 02-04-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Doe Doe Spike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #207
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Gotta be SETx, with as much turnover there is in the lumber industry, there is always food available. However one of our resident biologist probably have actual hard data on it.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #208
Planner
Six Point

Hunt In: Sonora

Great thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Planner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2017, 08:49 PM   #209
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Since deer food (weeds and browse)is dependent on rainfall and the number of different quality plants, then portions of eastern TX, depending on soils, would be hard to beat, not including areas of heavy dominant pine.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #210
Doe Doe Spike
Spike

So 100 acres in East Texas could hold a higher deer density than 100 acres in South Texas or 100 acres in the hill country. (Excluding factors like hunting pressure, supplemental food, livestock , hogs)
Old 02-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #211
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Antelope, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass in TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doe doe spike View Post
so 100 acres in east texas could hold a higher deer density than 100 acres in south texas or 100 acres in the hill country. (excluding factors like hunting pressure, supplemental food, livestock , hogs)
bingo
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #212
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
So 100 acres in East Texas could hold a higher deer density than 100 acres in South Texas or 100 acres in the hill country. (Excluding factors like hunting pressure, supplemental food, livestock , hogs)
You'd need to define "hold". In general broad brush strokes, what you say is vaguely true.

The TX hill country has carried some crazy high deer numbers (highest in the state), but look at the size of some of them and check out the browse lines. They've shrunk, but the country is still "holding" them.

S TX mixed brush can be very diverse, particularly the red sandy soils, with numerous high quality browse plants, and lots of mid-value plants. But, what we see are peaks and valleys in antler size and fawn crops based on rainfall amounts and timing. This is because rain makes weeds (deer's preference), and in dry years they're strictly on mature (few fresh shoots) browse. This roller coaster fawn crop can kind of keep numbers in check in open range situations.

What I'm getting at is, it isn't as simple as which can hold more deer, but generally speaking there would be more natural food in parts of E TX year in and year out provided the population was kept at a level that ensured growth and reproduction of the quality browse.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:41 PM   #213
Doe Doe Spike
Spike

Support is the word I'm going for.

You are saying one of the main reasons for more deer in the areas of South Texas and the Hill country is hunting pressure ( size of ranches) as opposes to natural food sources and browse potentially available.

Rain is the main factor in determining fresh growth which in turn leads to more deer browse and more deer? Type of vegatation plays less of a roll in deer numbers?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #214
TKK
Eight Point

Quote:
Which ecoregion of Texas is most favorable for deer based upon natural vegetation?
Maverick County = check the record books over the past thirty years
TKK is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #215
TKK
Eight Point

feeding supplemental feed (protein or cottonseed) in the wrong setting is worthless - it works only when there is enough property and enough feed stations - on a small place where nobody else is feeding it and neighbors are killing every deer that walks by with horns? Waste of your money
simple as that
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #216
TKK
Eight Point

Quote:
Support is the word I'm going for.

You are saying one of the main reasons for more deer in the areas of South Texas and the Hill country is hunting pressure ( size of ranches) as opposes to natural food sources and browse potentially available.

Rain is the main factor in determining fresh growth which in turn leads to more deer browse and more deer? Type of vegatation plays less of a roll in deer numbers?
good rain leads to good range conditions which in turn leads to healthier deer - healthier deer tends to bring does with twins instead of singles. Fawn survival is dependent on the range conditions.

So long term, if your habitat is good due to rain then your deer will prosper and bucks will have more nutrition - that turns into better horns - NO supplemental feed made by man can replicate or duplicate mother nature and its impact on a deer herd

Last edited by TKK; 02-05-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #217
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Cool

Quote:

Dude, I wish it were simple...actually...no I don't, then I wouldnt have a job.

Type of vegetation definitely matters. A deer could starve to death in belly deep grass and only mesquite for browse, or eastern red cedar for that matter.

Another of the complicating factors is that plants are designed to fit in their environment. That means browse in S TX can do okay with 12 inches of rain. But, E TX plants would be in bad shape with only 12 inches.

Boil it down to this, which supports you're original question. IF, that's a big if, rainfall was at least average for the different areas of TX over 10-20 years, AND, the populations in each area were kept at a level that ensured growth and reproduction of the quality browse, then, YES, portions of E TX could support more deer than other parts of TX.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #218
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Important point. I would define the number of deer that an area could support as: A deer density (ac/deer) that would result in the growth and reproduction of quality browse plants that could occur in that area.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:09 AM   #219
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of Texas View Post
Important point. I would define the number of deer that an area could support as: A deer density (ac/deer) that would result in the growth and reproduction of quality browse plants that could occur in that area.
Best answer to the last 5 responses....
Hawkpuppy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #220
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, East TX

Another spin off to what has been said above. I would manage your vegetation before "managing" your deer. If you provide food, cover and water, deer will come and stay. On small acreage, I think that is the best thing that you can do.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #221
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

^ Well said. You have to have the land and habitat to draw, hold and support the deer...
Old 02-06-2017, 03:36 PM   #222
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizeaggie View Post
Another spin off to what has been said above. I would manage your vegetation before "managing" your deer. If you provide food, cover and water, deer will come and stay. On small acreage, I think that is the best thing that you can do.
This is basically MLD practices
Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #223
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Yep. Well...used to be.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:19 PM   #224
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yep. Well...used to be.
Its changing this season I do believe.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #225
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
Its changing this season I do believe.
I believe so.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #226
Doe Doe Spike
Spike

Thanks for the info
Old 02-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #227
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
I believe so.
I saw the new regs and its almost like...do what ya want. Unless Im mistaken.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #228
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

What regulations are changing for MLD?
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #229
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgleaton View Post
What regulations are changing for MLD?
Follow link

https://www.texasdeerassociation.com...ffect-in-2017/
Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #230
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Back on track now with some more info....

This time of year can, and is, just as critical as any other for WTD. Right now, bucks are in probably their worst body condition and dropping antlers. Does are about 3.5 months from dropping fawns. Nutrition is a major factor right now more than ever. Bucks body conditions must be brought back up to "normal" to ensure maximum potential for a good start to new antler growth. Does need the same to help keep their body conditions up for fawn development.

Now, all that being said, if you are just now feeding to help with these issues, you're way behind the 8 ball. I hear and see a lot of people that only feel the need to supplemental feed protein during the summer months for antler growth. While that is a critical time, year round availability of both quality native and supplemental feed is just as, if not more, important. Keeping deer in their best body conditions all year long is extremely important for antler and fawn production, mortality reduction from post rut stress and a host of other things. Don't be they guy that just feeds corn after September...
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #231
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post

This time of year can, and is, just as critical as any other for WTD. Right now, bucks are in probably their worst body condition and dropping antlers. Does are about 3.5 months from dropping fawns. Nutrition is a major factor right now more than ever. Bucks body conditions must be brought back up to "normal" to ensure maximum potential for a good start to new antler growth. Does need the same to help keep their body conditions up for fawn development.

Now, all that being said, if you are just now feeding to help with these issues, you're way behind the 8 ball. I hear and see a lot of people that only feel the need to supplemental feed protein during the summer months for antler growth. While that is a critical time, year round availability of both quality native and supplemental feed is just as, if not more, important. Keeping deer in their best body conditions all year long is extremely important for antler and fawn production, mortality reduction from post rut stress and a host of other things. Don't be they guy that just feeds corn after September...
This is very true. I think one reason the deer in our area tends to be better than average is all the wheat fields in the area, Including ours. The deer stay fat.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #232
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Grayson/Cass

Quote:

I have a pass-through property. I try to feed corn all year around.

Approximately what would it cost me to feed protein also?
XBowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #233
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBowHunter View Post
I have a pass-through property. I try to feed corn all year around.

Approximately what would it cost me to feed protein also?
How much land do you have? Since your property is a pass through property you may consider planting some permanent. Personally I am going to planting about 50-75 honey suckle plants.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #234
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonA View Post
How much land do you have? Since your property is a pass through property you may consider planting some permanent. Personally I am going to planting about 50-75 honey suckle plants.
22 acres

I have planted some sawtooth oak trees that are 4-5 feet high. They are three or four years old and should start producing acorns in another 4-5 years.

I planted a nice little soybean plot but it got flooded out. Need to work on another food plot further away from the creek
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #235
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Cost of protein will vary greatly depending on brand and actual protein percentage as well as mineral content. You can run protein timed as well. Doesn't have to always be free choice, although that is preferred. As mentioned, try planting things such as the mentioned honeysuckle, fruit trees, plots such as peas and wheat. All depends on your property layout and available ground to work with.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #236
XBowHunter
Banned!!!

Quote:
Cost of protein will vary greatly depending on brand and actual protein percentage as well as mineral content. You can run protein timed as well. Doesn't have to always be free choice, although that is preferred. As mentioned, try planting things such as the mentioned honeysuckle, fruit trees, plots such as peas and wheat. All depends on your property layout and available ground to work with.

Thanks

Do have some winter wheat fields around here, but they don't plant wheat every year
Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #237
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

Thank you for this thread, good info. We try to keep 10% of our property in year round food plots or around 15 acres in small plots. Lots of work and cost to do it , but something I really enjoy doing. when you tell of the good native food in the E Texas area, I have to agree and I think there are some really nice bucks here. It's just that you wont see many of them out and around as they travel at night mostly lol
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #238
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

What happened? Ok, just a little quickie for today....

Deer as a rule won't eat anything with blue or purple flowers. Keep that in mind right now while looking at the landscape thinking you have a lot of good forbs....
Old 04-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #239
Top Of Texas
Six Point

Except for Dayflower, Venus Looking Glass, Tahoka Daisy, to name a few off the top of my head.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #240
texashunter56
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas in Goliad, Live Oak, La Salle, Pecos to Kansas to Alberta and beyond

Add Wine Cup to that list of purple flowering forbs they will eat. Very high protein also.
texashunter56 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #241
Larry
Ten Point

Quote:
Deer as a rule won't eat anything with blue or purple flowers. Keep that in mind right now while looking at the landscape thinking you have a lot of good forbs....
Quote:
Except for Dayflower, Venus Looking Glass, Tahoka Daisy, to name a few off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashunter56 View Post
Add Wine Cup to that list of purple flowering forbs they will eat. Very high protein also.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #242
QuackerWacker83
Four Point

Hunt In: Kinney & Colorado counties.

Awesome thread, cant believe I didn't find this sooner... bring on the Info!
QuackerWacker83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #243
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady

learn me something.
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #244
Throwin' Darts
Ten Point

Great thread
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #245
jbhunting39
Six Point

This thread is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbhunting39 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #246
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
That's why I said "as a rule" not they won't ever...
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #247
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Right now there are lots of fawns hitting the ground, and they will continue all summer long depending on where you are at in the state. I have seen fawns on the ground as early as April and as late as September. As a rule, deer have a gestation of about 215-220 days. You can use that to count back from the arrival of fawns to get a better idea of when your does are getting bred.

Fawns, when born, are not ruminants. Initially they are monogastrics (one stomach), and do not actually develop all 4 compartments, rumen, reticulum, abomasum and omasum, of the true ruminant system for over a month. Obviously milk is ther only food for the first several weeks and slowly will transition over to grasses, forbs and other feeds.