Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #201
BosqueTech
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque County & Lubbock

Did you plant the blue berries? Y'all have chickens , etc? Love the thread. Thanx
BosqueTech is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #202
BIG BONE
Pope & Young

Good lord that's a stud of a buck
BIG BONE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #203
elgato
Ten Point

^^^ You bet. Full orchard...blue berries, nectarines, peaches,apples, pears, plums, persimmons,may haws, straw berries, all the citrus [which had a tough winter!] almonds, figs, muscadines, grapes, black berries, and pomagranit.

Raise chickens...both broilers and egg layers, turkeys, and guineas.

Everything organic! Even moving that way with all food plots. Not so easy there,

Our goal is to be self sufficient. Tricky part is olive oil, avacados [ though wife is trying to grow that ] and wine. Again wife spoiled to better wine than muscadine or anything grown here.

Suspect I'll be importing whiskey for the cocktail safaris as well.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #204
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Wow man great job on the deer I pulled cards today and was happy to see g3s. Lol
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #205
deer farmer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harrison Co and other places

NICE Do u gun and bow hunt? And how great is it to watch the Deer and wildlife live and prosper on what u have done. it is a great thing to see what goes on my smaller place after all the hard work. And I think!! I understand all the hard work u have put in to get where u are. to you. Please continue
deer farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #206
elgato
Ten Point

Labor of love for sure. Emphasis on labor. We work 12 months a year here as there are always projects. The process never stops.

Short answer is gun only. I work too hard growing these deer to trust my archery skills with these top end bucks. Used to bow hunt a lot though.

The challenge with keeping trophy hunting exciting is dealing with the fact you dont shoot much. Not unusual for me to not take a trophy for several seasons. I have compensated by getting in to video. It's awesome. Catch and release deer hunting. Then I get to spend the off season editing and reliving the season producing DVD's. Great for archiving bucks and watching them grow and evolve as well.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #207
jkelbe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

I smell a TV show in the works. With studs like you have, and the great management practices. Very much like Growing Deer TV.
jkelbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #208
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Labor of love for sure. Emphasis on labor. We work 12 months a year here as there are always projects. The process never stops.

Short answer is gun only. I work too hard growing these deer to trust my archery skills with these top end bucks. Used to bow hunt a lot though.

The challenge with keeping trophy hunting exciting is dealing with the fact you dont shoot much. Not unusual for me to not take a trophy for several seasons. I have compensated by getting in to video. It's awesome. Catch and release deer hunting. Then I get to spend the off season editing and reliving the season producing DVD's. Great for archiving bucks and watching them grow and evolve as well.
I think you have the DVD making down!! I'm ready to see one from you LA ranch! What's the hold up?
BillyloMexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #209
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Continued awesomeness with this thread! I'm speechless on that buck!

I'm may be more jealous of the blueberries though....I could eat my weight in them!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #210
elgato
Ten Point

Been a great year for clover. First crimson and berseem, followed by arrow leaf. The durana has been outstanding this summer but my favorite has been the red ace. Frankly I am seeing the most deer activity in the clover and vetch even more so than the peas and beans. And the red clover appears to be their favorite now. With all the summer rains this year it is doing fantastic.Here's a pic of a 2 yr old stand with durana underneath it.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #211
elgato
Ten Point

My primary ag experiment this year was to use fall cover crops to create a thatch to suppress weeds and legumes to provide nitrogen for summer crops. Frankly I was disappointed with the results. The pea and bean fields all suffered severe weed infestation. While the peas and beans and other things planted did grow, weed competition has been fierce. Granted the animals don't really care and they all have more than they can eat but I'm not satisfied with the outcome.

My direction is ultimately be fully organic with all the food plots. however I'm sure I will be spraying the fields this fall before planting and again next spring before the cultivars germinate. I do believe all the growth in the fields will help build the soils as it's allowed to stay in the fields building organic matter.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the bean fields. The sunflowers are starting to bloom. Always a pleasant sight. The other pic is of sickle pod an aggressive weed that if one plant is left the following year you have a zillion. I intend to mow this field when the sickle pod starts blowing to terminate it.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #212
elgato
Ten Point

To keep everyone interested recognizing most folks would rather look at deer than sickle pod here is another buck. Still lots of growing to do but looking strong. Believe him to be 6 or 7.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #213
Tuffbroadhead
Pope & Young

WOWZER!!! Great looking animals and awesome thread!

Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-03-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #214
jkelbe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

That's just ridiculous. El Gato, I know you have a select hitlist, but for the love all things HUGE, can you take down a bigg'un this year? You have monsters.

The clover that is flowering up above. Is that Durrano blooming?
jkelbe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #215
elgato
Ten Point

^^^Red Ace red clover, great stuff. I will plant a bunch more this fall . Durana is growing underneath it, has a white bloom. . They are nicely compatible
Old 07-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #216
Palmetto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Old Ocean

I like the idea on the flashing coon guards. Let us know when you check that camera.
Palmetto is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #217
elgato
Ten Point

Haven't had a coon on the feeder since installed. Unfortunately the deer shied away from the feeder as well. I will work a bit more on the design then install on all the feeders after antler growth finishes. I don't want anything to interfere with feed consumption at this time.

Bottom line is it appears to work. I'll test with corn in Sept.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #218
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Good stuff, I would like to plant on my place one of these days.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #219
deer farmer
Ten Point

Great pictures of the nice bucks with the Reconyx. I really like those cameras. and I see you have more than one taking pictures. I'm building a clover plot now to plant this fall and I will have to try the Red Ace and Berseem clovers because of your reports. Been thinking of adding Chicory to my clover because of the deer's response to it. I am wondering if you have any experience with this mixture, and if you have, did u mix it in with the clover or would u suggest alternating rows of each. Thanking you again and again
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #220
BosqueTech
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bosque County & Lubbock

Got any other pics of that feeder? Looks cool
BosqueTech is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #221
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer farmer View Post
Great pictures of the nice bucks with the Reconyx. I really like those cameras. and I see you have more than one taking pictures. I'm building a clover plot now to plant this fall and I will have to try the Red Ace and Berseem clovers because of your reports. Been thinking of adding Chicory to my clover because of the deer's response to it. I am wondering if you have any experience with this mixture, and if you have, did u mix it in with the clover or would u suggest alternating rows of each. Thanking you again and again
I've had great luck mixing chicory in to the clover fields. They are very compatible.

I think a great fall combo to get clover and chicory going is: 30-50lbs wheat/acre, 5lbs/acre durana clover, 7-8 lbs/acre red clover,10-15 lbs crimson clover, 2 lbs/acre chicory, 3-5 lbs/acre daikon radishes. Managed right the clovers and chicory will last years and something will be growing at all times. You then drill small grains in to the clover each fall and radishes as well. Makes an awesome perennial plot.

Berseem can be used instead of crimson. Really depends on your soil as to which works best but either is very good with similar growing characteristics.

Reconyx cameras are the best!!! I have been using them here from August till Thanksgiving everyday now for second year then take them to the ranch thru Feb. they have taken thousands!!! of photos and the original batteries are still 90%.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #222
elgato
Ten Point

Here's another pic of the feeder albeit not very good but all I could find. This model is not coon proof though the latest modifications are. If memory serves they hold about 600 lbs. Another problem with this design is birds will scratch a lot of feed out. We will cut a piece of 1" pvc and put in bottom of spout.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #223
jshouse
Ten Point

Hunt In: NE Texas

what happened to that buck? any more pics? wow.
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #224
elgato
Ten Point

Low 190's double drop main frame 12 point in velvet still growing. Rio Grand brush country. Only pic I have though video of him.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #225
jshouse
Ten Point

he should be someones logo
Old 07-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #226
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom green county

Stud for sure
jason86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #227
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Great thread! Thanks for sharing.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #228
elgato
Ten Point

Summer is starting to set in with higher temps and dryer conditions. We were lucky in June with much milder temps and plenty of rain. But now the clover is showing some stress with brown patches and less growth. Suspect we are thru mowing it till Sept.

Now is when the beans and peas start to pay off as they have had vigorous growth and are looking good. The deer are starting to show up there much more now. The deer are also still hitting the vetch and Alyce very hard. Years past those crops would be 2-3 ft. tall by now. This year they are grazed to only a few inches. Thats new for me.

All of the deer are hitting the feeders very hard. Typically see does drifting by all during the day and bachelor groups of bucks at dark. With the cameras we are seeing the same bucks at several different feeders during the same night.

This starts one of the bigger stress periods for deer in the south with the high temps and in many cases food supply thinning out unless cultivars are available. Yet it is a critical time with does having high demand from fawns and bucks showing lots of weekly antler growth.

And yes, the bucks are looking really good!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #229
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

What's that bucks name? Was he on last years video?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #230
crek1311
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County, Falls County, Wheeler County

Very informative read. Just subscribed. Can't wait to see how the deer development continues.
crek1311 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #231
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyloMexico View Post
What's that bucks name? Was he on last years video?
I assume your talking about the last buck posted. Actually an old pic of a buck from '09. Never saw him after that season. He would be on the '09 video. Was a funky buck. For others reading this thread not a La. buck but one from brush country.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #232
dc1211
Eight Point

Hunt In: Williamson County East of 35

How did I miss this one. I'm watching
dc1211 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #233
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Great thread. Just read the whole thing.
ShockValue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #234
elgato
Ten Point

Looking good!
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 PM   #235
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Wow!
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #236
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

I think this could be his year!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #237
deer farmer
Ten Point

You sir, have an impressive place for sure. Real Nice. So, to be able to grow these bucks to this size, you have done some great transferring of nutrients from plants to animals. So lets talk some more about the food you grow. You posted about the different clover blends you planted, and how they are now at the point of browning out, and so I will tell you I am experiencing the same thing with the browning or burning out (due to sun and heat) of my clover. But I have a honey hole spot that is about 1/3rd an acre of clover that is shaded for most of the day and receives about 4 hrs of direct sun. This clover continues to look good and should I just let it go til Sept and then reseed along with some Rye or what would you do here? And I am building some food plots now with a mulcher, The guy told me yesterday that it is the thickest stuff he has ever mulched in East Texas. And of the 3 plots I am doing, one will have some of the clover mix you have. But I wanted to ask if you have tried the Patriot Clover, from pictures and from what I have read , it produces a lot of clover forage and is used in bailing (feeding) for cattle. Since I don't want to waste my time and money on something that does not work, but I do like trying something different and I see where you also try new stuff. And like you also said the deer are in the beans and Peas
Old 07-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #238
jshouse
Ten Point

holy moly
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #239
roygarcia54
Six Point

Hunt In: La Trinidad Ranch

wow good looking bucks on cam
roygarcia54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #240
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer farmer View Post
You sir, have an impressive place for sure. Real Nice. So, to be able to grow these bucks to this size, you have done some great transferring of nutrients from plants to animals. So lets talk some more about the food you grow. You posted about the different clover blends you planted, and how they are now at the point of browning out, and so I will tell you I am experiencing the same thing with the browning or burning out (due to sun and heat) of my clover. But I have a honey hole spot that is about 1/3rd an acre of clover that is shaded for most of the day and receives about 4 hrs of direct sun. This clover continues to look good and should I just let it go til Sept and then reseed along with some Rye or what would you do here? And I am building some food plots now with a mulcher, The guy told me yesterday that it is the thickest stuff he has ever mulched in East Texas. And of the 3 plots I am doing, one will have some of the clover mix you have. But I wanted to ask if you have tried the Patriot Clover, from pictures and from what I have read , it produces a lot of clover forage and is used in bailing (feeding) for cattle. Since I don't want to waste my time and money on something that does not work, but I do like trying something different and I see where you also try new stuff. And like you also said the deer are in the beans and Peas
There was a guy from the South on the QDMA forums that planted Patriot and Durana side by side and Durana was much more drought resistant and lasted much longer than the Patriot. It is really hard to beat Durana for the South.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #241
gig one
Ten Point

Hunt In: huntsville tx and moline, kansas

Doing it rite for sure nice deer
gig one is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #242
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
There was a guy from the South on the QDMA forums that planted Patriot and Durana side by side and Durana was much more drought resistant and lasted much longer than the Patriot. It is really hard to beat Durana for the South.
My experience is similar. I planted Patriot several years ago an is was not memorable. I now have Durana all over the place and it's very impressive. Even now with the heat and getting dry lots of it is still holding up.

I would leave whatever clover you have till Sept. then plant the small grain directly in to it. As mentioned I'm thru mowing the clover until then unless we get an especially wet period. I will mow just before drilling the small grains mid Sept. moisture considered.

In our neighborhood with our deer density any plots with summer annuals have to be at least 5 acres to have any chance of making it. Anything smaller gets eaten down before the plants ever get going. Thus for smaller plots we go with clovers and small grains.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #243
elgato
Ten Point

great year for fruit production
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #244
acomeaux
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Not sure if i missed it or not but where can we find the videos you make each year. Do you have a youtube page or something along those lines. If you keep them hush hush no big deal I understand. I just would love to check them out and see the incredible deer you grow each year

Last edited by acomeaux; 07-10-2014 at 05:17 PM..
acomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #245
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by acomeaux View Post
Not sure if i missed it or not but where can we find the videos you make each year. Do you have a youtube page or something along those lines. If you keep them hush hush no big deal I understand. I just would love to check them out and see the incredible deer you grow each year
I'm decidedly an old school country boy and never have figured out you tube pages and such. Took me forever to figure out how to post pics on this site and still seem only able to post photos from my phone only. Cant seem to get camera photos to post.

I have never done a video from the farm here though I plan to change that this year.It will be challenging to get the quality I expect as these deer are not video friendly and the hunting conditions challenging for lugging a full sized HD video camera attached to a 15 lb tripod. But I'm gonna try.

The video's you see referenced are from a ranch I have in the brush country along the Rio Grande. Totally different world than here. Bucks are far more vain and love to have their picture taken. All that said recognizing the video's are brush country not La. I'll be happy to send a copy if interested. Please appreciate they are tailored to my friends and folks that hunt the ranch with me . PM me if interested.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #246
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Dang he looks good for early July! Very nice Rusty!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #247
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Dang he looks good for early July! Very nice Rusty!
Been watching him come to a feeder around 8pm most evenings. He is an absolute giant!!! Beautiful shape to boot.

He lives on the common border I share with my neighbor and he will be hunted this yr. by both of us. While I have seen him for last couple years in velvet I have never seen him in hard antler.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #248
BillyloMexico
Ten Point

Can't wait to see one of you get him but I hope it's you that pulls the trigger on that absolute giant!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #249
deer farmer
Ten Point

Thanks for the answer on the Patriot, I read about it being grown in some of the south eastern states , made me believe it would take the heat, so thanks to your experience, saving me labor and money. And again to the clover recommendations. For some reason I have had a problem understanding clover growing, even after reading QDMA and other post. So one more dumb *** question from me, please I have mowed my clover to lets say 8", twice mowed in the past 120 days, where I did see the clover then snuff out some of the weeds or grasses, but when mowing and replanting lets say Rye in this small hunting hole of clover, do you mow to the ground or at what height would you mow in the fall clover plot when adding the grain seed to it. And yes this little spot does get some serious deer traffic, it seams to keep up with new growth. Maybe due to other bigger food plots near by.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #250
elgato
Ten Point

I mow clover once or twice late spring to early summer with the mower deck higher to knock the flowers off the clover and stimulate growth. This also somewhat controls weeds. Once it starts getting hot and dry or the clover is showing stress I stop mowing till ~ Sept. Then I mow low to prepare for fall planting.

Then when moisture is right [ mid Sept-mid Oct. ] I drill fall cultivars...small grains,radishes,brassicas, lupines, chicory etc. ...directly in to the clover. Broadcasting will usual work for this as well.