Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 06-16-2017, 06:50 AM   #1
DWA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo pinto Johnson counties and Sonora
Default Backpack or.....

Ok I couldn't bring myself to say Fanny in the subject title. I might have just decided to buy a fanny pack with the straps over the shoulder. How many of you guys use this type of pack over a backpack and why?
DWA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #2
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

I like them because they don't push down as much on my pants. The only problem I've found is if you of the vertically challenged group like myself you find that many models you cannot shorten the straps far enough to keep the pack on your hip points like it should be.
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
ckamp52
Ten Point

Hunt In: young, county

pic or it doesn't count...or because I just wanna know what the heck a fanny pack with shoulder straps even looks like. you talking about a hulk Hogan type fanny pack?
ckamp52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Link to a good one.
https://jet.com/product/detail/2ae88...4-a3896081108f
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Lost Arra
Six Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, East Texas

If you're just heading to a stand or blind and the weather is mild where you don't take a lot of extra clothes a haversack is sure handy. I've got a Bison Gear I use a lot. Easy off easy on. Daughter calls it my hunting purse (and surprisingly I still agree to take her hunting).
Fanny packs work too (call it a lumbar pack) but they have a lot of straps for minimal capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lost Arra is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #6
Randy Madden
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Check out the badlands monster fanny pack, looks like a great option for a day pack.
I have an eberlystock one similar but just a little bigger. I love it. Use it 99 % of the time.
Randy Madden is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #7
forest-hunter
Six Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I use a shoulder strap bag, I'm already carrying my climber on my back. I have strapped a backpack to the climber but the whole process is easier with a shoulder strap bag. I think the fanny pack would be even better if it can accommodate your stuff.
forest-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
wilcox1088
Eight Point

I just bought the ascent 12 from Sitka. It's very comfortable and I can strap my bow to it
wilcox1088 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
shortstroke 91
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Arra View Post
If you're just heading to a stand or blind and the weather is mild where you don't take a lot of extra clothes a haversack is sure handy. I've got a Bison Gear I use a lot. Easy off easy on. Daughter calls it my hunting purse (and surprisingly I still agree to take her hunting).
Fanny packs work too (call it a lumbar pack) but they have a lot of straps for minimal capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have an OLD waterfowling bag that's almost the same thing, I've carried it for years.
shortstroke 91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I always say, use what works for YOU.

My first couple years, I carried a backpack. A small Game Winner backpack for $10 or something like that. The thing I didn't like about it was sweating with it on as I'd walk to my stand (I often time walk 1/2 mile to our stands.)

Last 2 years, I switched to a simple fanny pack, not a fancy one. I picked up a soft one from Bass Pro (Redhead brand) for like $15. I also had wanted to go minimal. The problem came whenever I wanted to shed a layer of clothing. The pack was enough to carry a bottle of water, my license, some hand pruners, range finder. Another problem was trying to carry out hand corn, etc. One other benefit of the pack was having the ability to carry stuff up front and strap my chair to my back.

I am currently rethinking some this setup yet again. The fanny pack isn't enough, but nothing having to have it on my back is the pro. I find the concept of a lumbar pack kinda odd. You still have to strap it to your back and mess with shoulder straps etc. You might has well have a backpack at that point because if you need to load more, you have the structure to load up your back than swinging from your hips.

I am considering 2 options. Option 1 is to just convert back to a pack, but one with MOLLE so I can start with a small pack and tweak as the season progresses. This is what I am testing out for an high country hunt where my day pack needs to be a little more robust than my typical fanny pack. If I go that route, then I will have to buy chairs for all my blinds rather than carrying one there. We've pretty much have always carried out chairs out to our blinds, but we could have just kept some out there (one less thing to carry.) The 2nd option would be to modify my chair pack to add MOLLE so I can attach pack accessories to it.

The thing that bugs me is for whatever reason, when I see MOLLE style bags, it just doesn't fit well with how I like to walk through the woods. It looks and feels tacticool, and the fabric is stiff and the velcro is noisy. But I am giving it a chance, because I don't want to ignore something that might work out well for me.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #11
Gbird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Polk Counties

I'd say depending on your application? I have a camo backpack that I carry when I hunt. Other than that, I don't have anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gbird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
skooter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Canadian & McIntosh Co OK

I use a Badlands Monster pack. I bought it for elk hunting and it stuck. Big enough to carry all you need, and small enough that you don't overload it with non-essentials. Make sure you get one that fits well.

skooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
breadman
Four Point

back pack all the way !!! didn't like the fanny pack , felt kinda weird.
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

I use a dove hunting belt with big pouches and with water bottle
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
Bisch
Pope & Young

I hate backpacks. I also don't carry one more thing than I need to. On most hunts, I use a handmuff like QB's use, only this one has pockets built onto it.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter View Post
I use a Badlands Monster pack. I bought it for elk hunting and it stuck. Big enough to carry all you need, and small enough that you don't overload it with non-essentials. Make sure you get one that fits well.

Yep same hear & I hate backpacks during the heat of Texas. My Monster is an older model with smaller side pockets but plenty of room, it's 17 years old & faded which added character
Attached Images

stykshooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #17
FeetDown
Spike

Fanny packs are great, especially if you need to carry something else on your back (or don't want your back to sweat) or if you want quick access to tools/binos/compass/calls when scouting or stalking.

I wear fanny pack (with pouch sitting on my front side) when walking in with my climber stand on my back. Works perfectly.
FeetDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #18
DWA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Palo pinto Johnson counties and Sonora

I really like those options especially the one they mentioned that you could probably carry a recurve on your back. I have that issue because I mostly ride a four-wheeler up a mountain that requires both hands on the bars.
DWA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Badlands Monster Fanny all the way! All the room you'll ever need, actually you can end up carrying too much crap! And ya don't get the back sweats as bad. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #20
76aggie
Eight Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Like so many folks, I used a fanny pack for years. Cabela's put out a nice one year's ago and it was made of fleece and very quiet. Trouble is that it would ride down over my unsubstantial rear end kind of like I was "sagging". I then went to a fanny with the shoulder straps. I now use kind of a hybrid pack made by Crooked Horn. It is a smaller style pack but it only has one strap and you sling it over your shoulder. Very easy to get on and off or to drop it on a stalk. It also has a detached arrow quiver that connects to the pack. The pack part is not large but is large enough for probably about 90% of the hunts I make.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #21
Hunterlo70
Six Point

great sale going on right now here

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/18
Hunterlo70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 12:09 AM   #22
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Backpack...but I get the sweats. I was roasting today on a scout. I carry an assualt pack and low crawled through a barbed wire fence just fine...PHL to POW...not private. Im gonna shop for a pack with that breathable mesh for some ventilation.

DWA...I use the cordura backpack because it has a chest strap, a hip belt, two zippered pockets...one main and one front/back largish. The inside of the main pack has a pouch for a camel back. Mollie webbing on the back and sides for strapping extra stuff but dont strap extra stuff for snagging purposes...except one carbiner and maybe a pen.

My hunting buddy wears a shoulder strapped Cabelas fanny pack and kills more critters than I do.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-20-2017 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: WhyBackpackSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 04:33 AM   #23
Doug's_Optics
Six Point

This is what I was picturing with you described it

Doug's_Optics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
M.E.B.
Ten Point

If I'm carrying a lot of gear to the stand I have a back pack.

If I am stalking at the lease I use a bag with a shoulder strap. I have a couple of mountain man type possibles bags made of leather with fringe. I have one made of buffalo hide I bought in Africa.

What I like about the shoulder bag is I can stop and look in it without taking it off. I can also slip it off of my shoulder with a minimum amount of movement if I need to for a stalk.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #25
14JKURX
Eight Point

I carry a small bag with a suoulder strap from the buggy to my stand but if I am on a hunt away from my normal hunting ground I carry a Tenzing 1250 lumbar pack.
14JKURX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top