Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 02-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #51
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Trust & doing as you are told. So many people don't understand those words anymore. Another thing is I have quite a few people come & ask about taking them, but when I ask them to come along some weekend when I need a hand, they are never available. Offer to help out with some work first without begging a hunt & if you get an invite to hunt bring a couple of sacks of corn. Things like this get you in faster than family with me.
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #52
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Trust is the number one thing in my book.

Seems there's alot of people who hate the pigs but aren't willing to do what it takes to put a dent in the population on their place. They want someone else to figure out how to solve their problem and then do it for em. Doesnt make much sense to me.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 AM   #53
Hydestik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
here is my take... Most of the folks looking for "free" hunts are entitlement mentality folks. Im sure you are the exception. Those same folks are the most likely to push the limits and abuse the invitation, they dont have a vested interest anyway. If you dont believe me, go read the GUEST MISTAKES thread. It will open your eyes to why land owners wont let guests on their property.
Very accurate response... if you pay you will respect the privilege much more.
Hydestik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #54
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post
How is hunting not help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its like plugging a leaking **** with bubble gum. Recreational hunters, for the most part don't have the kill every **** one of them mentality. Its a eat what I kill and wait for the big one or the perfect eating size.
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #55
OBU13DAD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson and Collin Counties

I talked to a hay man he bails hay on a lot of farms and I asked him for phone numbers for some farmers who might let me hunt hogs he gave me two numbers they both agreed to let me hunt the first over the phone the second wanted me to meet with him, he was late getting there and while I waited I picked up trash around the fence line when he pulled up I was throwing the trash into the back of my truck. I have been hunting there for 5 years now!!
OBU13DAD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #56
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

I've often bartered work for places to hunt other than my own. metal fab work, framing work, masonary work, etc. knowing how to do a trade that a landowner needs done and being honest with the man will get you in more places than you have time to fool with in my experience.....
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #57
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_silva View Post
So, public land is the answer. 48 bucks = unlimited hugs...
Whatever a regular hunting license costs, since not all public is WMA. You find water and thick timber, you find hogs, there's NF all around Rayburn and its tributaries.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #58
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBU13DAD View Post
I talked to a hay man he bails hay on a lot of farms and I asked him for phone numbers for some farmers who might let me hunt hogs he gave me two numbers they both agreed to let me hunt the first over the phone the second wanted me to meet with him, he was late getting there and while I waited I picked up trash around the fence line when he pulled up I was throwing the trash into the back of my truck. I have been hunting there for 5 years now!!

Nice to know that there are still people like that.

Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #59
Kdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/Manitoba Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
How is it?

They breed faster than you're hunting them. It's fun but it's not help taking a couple out here and there. For fun you can add cash payment to my list. Strangers will also not be hunting our place at night which would be the best time.

Helicopter and traps would be most effective.
Exactly! I think people that ask this question (the one posed by the OP) do not understand wild pigs. Allowing hunters to come in and hunt pigs does nothing to solve the problems that pigs impose on a land owner. So that is not an incentive.
Kdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #60
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

They'll move to less pressure, collect or produce reinforcements and flank you in the middle of the night when you least expect it.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #61
Kevin7243
Four Point

Hunt In: Lometa Texas

I have been varmit huntin a property for free for several years. I have built a good relationship with the owners over the years fixin fences, when I see a problem bringing them free feed for their cows when work was going to throw it away, and most importantly never disrespecting the trust they gave me by allowing me out there. There should never be such thing as a free hunt. Our family owns property as well. I don't need this property to hunt. I choose to hunt it, because it's closer, a good property for varmits, and because I enjoy helping the land owners. Being in a family that owns land I have experience with even people I know wanting to be buddy, buddy when huntin season rolls around who you haven't heard from all year. It's a tricky topic. I like taking friends with me every once and a while to our property, but I can't say I would ever trust a stranger to go with out me there.
Kevin7243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #62
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

I liken it to someone wanting to borrow my horse...

Buddy: hey man can I come ride your horse or take the GF riding down the beach?

Me: Sure bud leave me the keys to your new truck

Buddy: Hail no you crazy!?!?

Me: No but you started us down that path so why not?

So far nobody has take me up on it and the answer still be no.

Biggest thing I've seen and folks probably think I'm nuts is people looking for free hunts aren't killers. I understand you want to commune with nature and kill one pig to have a awesome BBQ like a yeti video or something but I need killers when it comes to hogs.

Dyed in the wool killer when it comes to hogs, fertilize the grass and stack'em like cordwood mentality. Someone popping one hog ain't helping one bit.

Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2017, 09:07 PM   #63
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post

Biggest thing I've seen and folks probably think I'm nuts is people looking for free hunts aren't killers. I understand you want to commune with nature and kill one pig to have a awesome BBQ like a yeti video or something but I need killers when it comes to hogs.

Dyed in the wool killer when it comes to hogs, fertilize the grass and stack'em like cordwood mentality. Someone popping one hog ain't helping one bit.

The first cpl times I posted hog (herd) pics on here I got bombarded with PMs asking to let them run dogs. And the conversations when snippy when I said no, well, bc I don't want a dog on the place either.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:08 AM   #64
Russ81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_e_smith View Post
The first cpl times I posted hog (herd) pics on here I got bombarded with PMs asking to let them run dogs. And the conversations when snippy when I said no, well, bc I don't want a dog on the place either.

A lot of folks that run dogs don't have a big enough string of dogs (that are honest to goodness hog dogs) and are worried about keepin' them alive to sale. Best Houndsman I've ever known ran his truck like a quail truck, 12-16 bay dogs he'd rotate out and 3-4 catch dogs. If they hit a big sounder they would catch 8-10 hogs at a time and they killed them on the spot.

A lot of folks don't understand that property owners are waaaaaaay past hogs being sport animals and are just overgrown vermin.

Russ81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #65
Brute Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pleasanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ81 View Post

Lol. Good post
Brute Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #66
Truckville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin & Edwards Co

Think about the nicest thing you own.
Why don't you let strangers borrow it for free every day?

There is your answer.
Truckville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #67
RACK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare Texas ,Rocksprings,Midwest, and Mother Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
As everyone knows, hogs are a huge problem here in Texas. People that own land often complain they are bad, destroy land, injure livestock, transmit disease, eat deer corn, etc...Everyone knows the arguments. However, for as destructive as they are, no one allows anyone to shoot hogs for free (In all fairness, maybe I just haven't found anyone that will).

The landowner position is they could be sued, don't know the person, can't trust a person, among others. As a landowner in Wisconsin, I totally understand this position. But I know that in order to have as many deer as we want on our land, we need more coyotes cleared out than we could ever shoot (Don't get me started on wolves), especially with me in Texas. We let people on our land to shoot coyotes for free. We know them enough to trust them, a clear explanation of the rules is given, and if they break them, they are out. It works pretty well. A lot of times we get something in return, like meat, or sheds, or at the very least, we get a coyote removed from our property. Knock on wood, never had an issue.

My question is, for you guys who are land owners here in Texas, what would it take to allow someone on your property to shoot hogs? Nothing, trust, money, signed paperwork? And what considerations am I leaving out of my thought process?

I am not criticizing anyone, I just want landowner thoughts.
Here is your answer ... Either Own land or Lease land (big word here) Outright !

That's it !
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #68
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckville View Post

There is your answer.

Spot on.
centex_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #69
RACK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare Texas ,Rocksprings,Midwest, and Mother Ocean

Quote:

There is your answer.
X2 which lead me to post .

Funny words like responsibility , legal , risk , etc get attached mighty quick once you buy land...

Well surely it really isn't that hard to figure out
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #70
softpoint
Six Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

All the previous posts about trust, etc. I have my own property, and I have hogs. In the past two years, I have more hogs than I want. They seem to get educated about traps pretty quickly, and if they get ambushed at a feeder, they "smart up" about that, too. I hate to see them poisoned, but I'm not sure they could be hunted enough at this point. Even if I put 10 guys out every night hunting them all night, the best I'd probably do is drive them over to some of my neighbors property. And my place isn't big enough to have more than 1 or 2 hunters on it, especially not at night.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #71
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

This reminds me of a post years ago on here. A guy showed a pic of a t-post going up thru his front fender. He wanted the land owner to pay for his driving thru high grass with his pu. I'm to old to find the thread are the post.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #72
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
As everyone knows, hogs are a huge problem here in Texas. People that own land often complain they are bad, destroy land, injure livestock, transmit disease, eat deer corn, etc...Everyone knows the arguments. However, for as destructive as they are, no one allows anyone to shoot hogs for free (In all fairness, maybe I just haven't found anyone that will).

The landowner position is they could be sued, don't know the person, can't trust a person, among others. As a landowner in Wisconsin, I totally understand this position. But I know that in order to have as many deer as we want on our land, we need more coyotes cleared out than we could ever shoot (Don't get me started on wolves), especially with me in Texas. We let people on our land to shoot coyotes for free. We know them enough to trust them, a clear explanation of the rules is given, and if they break them, they are out. It works pretty well. A lot of times we get something in return, like meat, or sheds, or at the very least, we get a coyote removed from our property. Knock on wood, never had an issue.

My question is, for you guys who are land owners here in Texas, what would it take to allow someone on your property to shoot hogs? Nothing, trust, money, signed paperwork? And what considerations am I leaving out of my thought process?

I am not criticizing anyone, I just want landowner thoughts.
For free? Likely not gonna happen. To go on a lease that others are paying to hunt? Probably not gonna happen.

A private landowner, there is liability. I would think there would be some type of close friendship in order to hunt for free. Other than that, slim and none.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #73
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute Killer View Post
I've been burned TWICE by people that I TRUSTED.
About all I'll do anymore is take someone out to the place. There is no more open access granted any more.
BINGO. I sit with any guests (read free) hunting. Just too many things can go awry. My bro-n-law killed a deer that he was shown pictures of as a no-go. I'm with them in the blind now to prevent any issues. I take that into consideration when I make an invitation or am asked, as it affects my hunting time.

Last edited by Gherkin05; 03-04-2017 at 09:32 PM..
Gherkin05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-04-2017, 11:37 PM   #74
Shurshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio/Zavala county

Quote:

There is your answer.

Great analogy.

Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #75
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:

There is your answer.
Very well said!!!!!

I just picked up 400 more acres today to pig hunt with thermal/nv

Happens when you hunt near when you live and people know who you are and your family and morals
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #76
kyleseipp
Six Point

Hunt In: Llano, KS, IA, MO

Quote:

There is your answer.
Man... That is spot on. For us, it is a home. Trust is key. That's the finicky thing about trust - it only takes a burn or 2 to pull it back. It is the liability piece for sure (don't get mulligans in a litigious society) but above that, it is opening the door to my home... To someone I don't know very well...

Last edited by kyleseipp; 03-05-2017 at 08:04 PM..
kyleseipp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #77
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphillips View Post
How is it?

They breed faster than you're hunting them. It's fun but it's not help taking a couple out here and there. For fun you can add cash payment to my list. Strangers will also not be hunting our place at night which would be the best time.

Helicopter and traps would be most effective.
Exactly
Darton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #78
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:

There is your answer.
Several really good answers but this one and the horse example sum it up best.

Add to it that we as hunters don't put a dent in the wild hog population. As mentioned above, most aren't killers but recreational hunters. That's why hog doggers are many times allowed on land for free...They make some dent in the hog population.

IMO-the only controls outside of the hotly debated poisons are traps and helicopters.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #79
Cardinal
Six Point

Buff mentioned in the thread earlier on the fishing situation. Same situation happened to my family a few years ago...let someone we know and trust fish, on the condition it was catch and release only, let us know when you are coming out, close the gates behind you, watch out for the cows, etc...

A few weeks later they started bringing out a friend or two, started leaving trash everywhere. Balls of fishing line left around the pond, had calves with fishing line wrapped around their leg. Last straw was them shooting fireworks off during a burn ban. Shut down anyone else coming out, then a few weeks later had a group of guys fishing that we didn't know down there. They said they had permission to fish there by the original people we let come out.

Frustrating the responsible people get lumped in with the idiots, but that's just the way it is nowadays. If my family can't trust anyone just to go fishing, how can we trust someone with a firearm on our place?
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 12:55 AM   #80
mills650
Four Point

Landowner here.
1) Liability - You hurting yourself or rounds leaving my property
2) I want the number of hogs reduced but you can't make a significant dent in the hog population from recreational hunting
3) Problems with previous <slob> hunters and/or horror stories of same. Read "Guest Mistake Stories" under "Around the Campfire".
4) Land is already leased out to hunters (my case) or some family member hunts there and doesn't want anyone else on "their" land.

I'm speaking for myself but I suspect a lot of other landowners feel the same way. The hog problem is growing rapidly, perhaps doubling every year statewide. As it worsens I suspect more landowners will allow hunters on as we see crops and fences destroyed.
mills650 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2017, 01:35 AM   #81
tward1604
Four Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

well i like to think i follow rules and am a trustworthy sum buck. Shoot i'm the kinda guy that slips in a store on a wet floor with no sign i'll look around for the sign to help other folks out, while mumbling under my breath how much of an idiot i am for not seeing the water. I don't own property i hunt family and too far away to be there regularly, so does a cousins husband. His friends who do not have permission to hunt there kill more than anyone, in season or not. I completely understand someone not letting folk on their land.

But if anyone in the denton area has some pigs they want killed with bow or rifle i wouldn't turn down the offer
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top