sniped an axis buck @ 68 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sniped an axis buck @ 68 yards

shot of my life, 90% luck and 10% skill. on the last hour of my exotic hunt I made a quick stalking session through an area that had been an axis haven the day before. about 3 minutes from the truck i spotted a herd that was feeding across a clear cut and I made my move.

the wind the day before was the most fickle wind i have ever experienced, perhaps due to the near by range fire, but today this wind was favorable for stalking and I kept a small clump of cedars on the edge of the clear cut between me and my quarry.

Where are the pics?

Comment

this was my second hunt at the Baker 3 ranch and after multiple stalks, i've noticed that axis rarely travel alone, so i was prepared to move slow and pick up the outriders of the herd before they busted me. this slow moving method finally worked, i could see velvety antlers working above the bushes that divided us. after my thigh master workout of squating and stalking, i was to my final place to hide and i searched for a victim

Comment

Lol

Comment

there was a whopper buck out there but he was at 68 yards, there was another nice buck at 50 but i wanted the whopper. a minute later the whopper had crossed the clear cut and was gone so i focused on my remaining target. there were about 5 does and 4 lesser bucks remaining, a fawn was in easy range at 30 yards. in the moments of contemplation my remaining buck was moving out of range and would exit the clear cut soon leaving me with only a doe as an option. he too was now at 68 yards, i drew back my new bowtech destroyer. it had put a new SABO sight onto this destroyer and had my last two pins @ 40 and 50 yards. i guessed my drop for 68 and accordingly and made a minor adjustment for the wind. the buck was broadside with his head in a sage bush. i made sure my top dot was in perfect alignment with the triangle and that my anchor was solid and touched off.

Comment

the weather was overcast and the green Nocturnal on the arrow looked as if it had been aimed way too high. as the arrow began its parabolic return to earth i could literally see the small adjustment of about 5 inches for wind correct and the arrow drop the final few foot and peg that axis buck right on the money. at 68 yards, i guess he couldn't even hear the bow fire down wind, the buck never moved till he'd take a direct hit at midships and stumbled. the alarmed herd broke and began barking as my buck hobbled and staggered out of sight from the clear cut.

Comment

meanwhile, i had trouble keeping my grin from over lapping my ears, surely i couldn't have just made a 68 yard bulls eye. i listened quietly and heard a small rock slide, it could have been the other deer fleeing, but somehow it sound like a heavy bottom coming down hard in the hill country. i waited a few more minutes and tried to circle the area. some of the does were still standing the area, perhaps waiting for their BF to join them. i decided i'd back out of the area and pick up my 4 legged tracking machine.

Comment

love it. waiting for pics.

Comment

Slice was on one of her usual hot streaks, we had already trailed 4 axis deer that weekend, finding three of them still alive. one was close to death and Slice really gained some self esteem by thrashing that doe, the second was on a gut shot buck that put up a dandy fight before i applied a finisher, and the third was an unwounded but suck axis buck that Slice, found and bayed. The ample blood only went about 70 yards to my first axis buck, and not i had no chance of restraining that grin. thanks to my two hunting buddies Jay and John, I had help with photos and loading. Slice on the other hand looked a bit uninterested and mildly disappointed that there was no live chew toy at the end of the trail.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 baker 3 axis buck 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	23983471

measured 27.5 inches, not bad for my first axis buck

Comment

Name:	2011 baker 3 axis buck 2.jpg
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	23983472

this was my first hunt to wear the makeup, i was pleasantly surprised, not only is it way cooler (temperature) than a facenet, but it acted like sunblock too

Comment

Name:	2011 baker 3 axis buck 3.jpg
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	23983473

a little lighter in color after a dusty ride back to camp

Comment

the left shoulder was the entry hole, i don't think i could have placed that arrow any better than if i'd walked up and stuck it in him by hand. this was my longest shot to date and i was pretty impressed by the long range ability afforded by the SABO sight

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats, great buck and story.

Comment

Working...
                              X