I've seen what's left, it's no secret that we aren't rich

Comment

the biggest problem for all the lodges are the property taxes
      especially for Holland Lodge in Houston

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJack View Post
        the biggest problem for all the lodges are the property taxes
        especially for Holland Lodge in Houston
        Hopefully that gets addressed in the Legislature in January.

Comment

Don don't tell me its located at the Branch Davidian complex?

Comment

Jason, after the FBI kicked that other dude out, we got the 'cult' discount when they put it up for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by doncom View Post
              Hopefully that gets addressed in the Legislature in January.
              and the discussion always comes back to the point that Freemasonry is not a religion so it doesn't qualify for the same tax breaks that churches get. Our lodges get taxed as commercial buildings.

You would think that since the USA & the Republic of Texas were both founded by Freemasons. And they wrote both Constitutions...
              ..they would have solved this property tax problem

Where are George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Stephen F. Austin, & Sam Houston when you need them.....

Comment

The basis for the legislation has nothing to do with religon. Each subordainate lodge is a part of the Grand Lodge of Texas which is a private non-profit 501(c)(3) corp. The bill was introduced in the last session and met no opposition, just didn't get through the process in time.

And, I thought Holland had (or was planning to) sold their building and was building a new building outside town.

Comment

And, I thought Holland had (or was planning to) sold their building and was building a new building outside town.
                  Gray#329 (my lodge) moved - sold the land/building on Hillcroft and moved way out west off of Westheimer Parkway- just beyond Hwy.6.- just before Addicks dam.

Holland was selling their land/building to the 1st Presbyterian church (next door) who was going to build a new multi-story building and lease floor/s back to Holland? I haven't been active enough to keep up with what has actually been happening. I have friends in the Commandery (York at Holland), I'll ask.

Comment

bobo- sent you a pm

Comment

Several of the lodges up here requested exemption from the county and received it. Mine included.

Comment

The basis for the legislation has nothing to do with religon. Each subordainate lodge is a part of the Grand Lodge of Texas which is a private non-profit 501(c)(3) corp. The bill was introduced in the last session and met no opposition, just didn't get through the process in time.

doncom - I heard back from my friend in York/Commandery (at Holland)

I asked:
                        "what finally happened at Holland?
                        did they sell the property to the church?
                        did the church build a new building and lease a floor/floors to the lodge?"

he responded:
                        "Nothing happened !
                        They had offers of 12, 13, 14, and 15 Million dollars but voted not to sell.
                        The taxes (approx $75,K per year) on that building are very difficult on all that own a part of it."

Comment

Working...
                        X