Changing chamber on existing gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing chamber on existing gun

I currently have a custom Rem trued rifle with a Lilja 3-groove barrel chambered in .260Rem. It iscurrently 26” and I was thinking of having it cut down and rechambered in 6.5 Creedmore. Ammo availabilty is the main reason and I have been impressed in ballistics on the CM.

Would you guys consider this, or keep the .260? The longer, heavy rounds on the Remington action hang up a bit.

Keep the 260Rem. Load your own ammo. Custom bullets for a custom gun

Comment

What is twist rate of your barrel? It may not be twisted fast enough to stabilize the heavy bullets.

Comment

1:8. It shoots 140’s lights out.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
          1:8. It shoots 140’s lights out.

Well then why change it? Creedmoor does nothing your 260 won’t already do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am mainly thinking of ammo availability. I don’t reload. May have to invest in it. Just don’t have room really.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
              I am mainly thinking of ammo availability. I don’t reload. May have to invest in it. Just don’t have room really.

How many rounds on average do you shoot a year? A setback and rechamber will set you back a few hundred $$.

You could always have Dallas Reloads or someone work up a load for your 260 if there’s a certain bullet you are wanting. Cost about the same a higher end factory ammo.

Comment

I would probably keep it as a 260. If you don’t shoot enough to invest in reloading, maybe you have a friend that could help you work up a load and just load you a supply of ammo.

Comment

Keep the 260. Hornady makes match and hunting ammo using the ELDM and X bullets in 260 Rem. You’d likely have to order it but it’s out there.

Comment

Just order online. The more you order, the better.

Comment

260 over creedmore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        Well then why change it? Creedmoor does nothing your 260 won’t already do.

^^^^This^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          How many rounds on average do you shoot a year? A setback and rechamber will set you back a few hundred $$.

You could always have Dallas Reloads or someone work up a load for your 260 if there’s a certain bullet you are wanting. Cost about the same a higher end factory ammo.

Agree if it's only an ammo problem. When you say the longer, heavy rounds hang up on the action what do you mean? Loading? Feeding? One of the advantages the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 Lapua have is the shorter case design, but I'm not clear from your comment that solves the problem you're describing.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                            Agree if it's only an ammo problem. When you say the longer, heavy rounds hang up on the action what do you mean? Loading? Feeding? One of the advantages the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5x47 Lapua have is the shorter case design, but I'm not clear from your comment that solves the problem you're describing.

LWD
                            Feeding and unloading unfired rounds. It is an ADL stock. I think you guys have convinced me to keep it the way it is.

Comment

Wise choice!

Comment

Working...
                              X