Feed pen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed pen question

I'm planning to put up another feeder that will be bow hunted from the ground out of a pop-up.

To keep the pen from being in the path of the arrow I was going to build it where I can remove the panel facing the blind while I hunt.

Is that what y'all do or does anyone have a better idea?

Some will tell you to make it huge and place your blind inside it.
    or you could just make it about 30" tall
    or shoot them before they jump into it

Comment

its what i do! i use removable prefabricated panels that interlock and they work perfectly. its a 10 ft panel made by red river arenas, they can be pricey if delivered but check them out and you will get the idea and can shop it. i can walk right up to the feed pen lift the pen and drop the panel and put it right back when im done. also makes it great for filling feeders i can drive right in and close it when im done

Comment

have you thought about elevating the pop up? Just one of many options.

Comment

..side note i use this method only for my protein, i like shooting pigs so the corn feeder is on the outside

Comment

I built one where I had the blind outside of the pen but I took one of the panels and cut it so it folded down like a hinge while I hunted. Then I folded it back up when I would leave. It worked out great. The deer really didn't pick up on it being folded down. Seems to me I ended up having to use two panels to make one that hinged and I had to use an extra T Post but it did work great. Good luck.

Comment

Elevate the pop up, put the stand inside the pen, or use short panels. A mature buck will notice if he walks in one afternoon and an entire panel is now laying on the ground or moved.

Comment

For one set- up the blind is on the ground and I needed about 6' of width to have a clear shot, so I drove an extra t-post and cut out a section I could lay down when in the blind. I took some tent stakes and drove them in the ground hooked over the bottom wire so it would fold down like on a hinge. I then wired on some clips to attach it to the adjacent panels when I put it back up before leaving.

At another set -up the blind is on a 48" platform. On that one I just cut a couple rows off the panel between me and the feeder so I could shoot over it.
                Last edited by jerp; 11-15-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Just build a small 1-2' tall stand for the popup.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                    Elevate the pop up, put the stand inside the pen, or use short panels. A mature buck will notice if he walks in one afternoon and an entire panel is now laying on the ground or moved.
                    And what would he do then?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      And what would he do then?
                      Well as I'm sure you know- each deer herd is different from area to area and I specifically left that out on purpose. Use your own experience to answer that question, what would he do then? Some deer may not have a care in the world and others may take a few days to adjust.

Comment

My pen is 12 panels. I have my popup brushed in up against one of the panels. It's not problem shooting across the top of the panels. Guess it depends on how far away you are from the pen

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                          That is certainly possible, but I have also had deer come around and walk through the new opening rather than jumping over.

Comment

I'm of the opinion that it's best to elevate your blind. There's nothing worse than sneaking in to your blind, only to make a big racket opening up a panel. Plus, I have seen deer act strangely when a panel was open.

Comment

I like the idea of elevating the blind. I don't have feeder pens but if I had to, this is what I would do.

Comment

Working...
                              X