My nephew's first knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
    Good job on teaching him something that he can do for the rest of his life.
    Let's just hope he uses a respirator!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
      Nice! Wish I knew someone who made knives!
      Maybe you do and just don't know it. I sometimes think of that passage Hebrews 13 where it says that some have entertained angels without knowing it, and I wonder if somebody I've met was actually an angel. Maybe I should just ask everybody I meet, "Are you an angel?" I mean if it's really an angel, they'd have to tell me, right? Angels can't lie, can they?

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
        Nice; I love to see a young ones getting into it. Good job Sam. I have a 16 year of that wants to learn to forge. I'll start teaching him in a couple of week.
        Lucky kid! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, too. :-)

Comment

Nice work!!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

He follows in your foot steps, he will be making some awesome knives.

Comment

Nice work!

I know very little about knife making. Do you purchase the blades already shaped and add the handle or did you start from a bare piece of metal?

Comment

We started with a bar of 1095 steel, 1/8" thick and 1.5" wide.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                  We started with a bar of 1095 steel, 1/8" thick and 1.5" wide.

Impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

1095 is some good stuff. I just ordered some 2"w x.125 1095 and some 1.25"w x .125 W2 from NJ Steel Baron. These hoof rasps are wearing me out with all the grinding and ceramic belts ain't cheap.
                    Have never used W2 before and am excited to try it.

Comment

I’ve never tried w2 either, but I got some, too. I’m hoping to be able to get a good hamon out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                        I’ve never tried w2 either, but I got some, too. I’m hoping to be able to get a good hamon out of it.

You'll love W-2 Sam, it's 1095 on steroids. When heat treated and temper correctly it's the best high carbon steel in my books. I chop bone with all my knives before putting handles on them, W-2 has the best edge retention I've ever used, never got a roll even if I had the edge ground real thin.
                        It will give you some awesome hamons, years ago before I did clay quenching, I did edge quenching and I've had some killer hamon lines.

Comment

Skills, very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                            You'll love W-2 Sam, it's 1095 on steroids. When heat treated and temper correctly it's the best high carbon steel in my books. I chop bone with all my knives before putting handles on them, W-2 has the best edge retention I've ever used, never got a roll even if I had the edge ground real thin.
                            It will give you some awesome hamons, years ago before I did clay quenching, I did edge quenching and I've had some killer hamon lines.
                            I've skinned and butchered a deer and a pig with my knife made of W2 and the dang thing is still sharp. I agree it is my favorite steel as well.

Comment

And now he has made his first sheath. I really like his enthusiasm. We're working on a logo to go on his knives.
                              Attached Files

Comment

That’s awesome again!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                                X