Will he make it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will he make it ?

So quick back story. I have watched this buck for two years and he has always been a fighter. He is always chasing other bucks off and picking fights. Fast forward to this year. I have him at 2 and he is looking like he has potential. I get to my dads house (which is surrounded by our family land I hunt on) and he tells me about this buck that practically came up in the yard and how something was bad wrong with him. Apparently this buck got his tail whipped in a fight and dislocated his front right leg. My question is, do injuries like this heal up or should we be looking for the buzzards circling ? Ill let the pictures tell more about him.
    Attached Files

Apparently when he walks the bad leg sticks straight out like it is in the last picture then falls. From what my dad said he still has movement of it just lacking in control

Comment

Will he make it ?

I am not a veterinarian, but I bet if that doesn't pop back into place fairly quickly he will not make it. He may pop it back in on his own on accident though, who knows.

I don't think a dislocated shoulder will kill him but the coyotes may when he gets worn out and can't defend himself or get away.

Comment

Coyotes were and are my main concern. We have been trying to keep them whipped back but have seen a few moving on my trail cameras. He is a fighter I will give him that. The good thing is that he doesn't look to run down from the rut. Fingers crossed

Comment

how does a shoulder get dislocated on a deer?
          the shoulder doesn't actually have a joint it fits into.
          its just held together by muscle and ligament which is obviously torn all to heck

Comment

True, I guess dislocated isn't the right term. My bad. So point being do you think the muscles and ligaments will heal if he makes it or will he be named gimpy ? Anyone seen anything like this before ?

Comment

Is it just me...how do you have that deer at only 2?? I see an older animal.

Keep us posted on his status...freak'n deer are very resilient

Comment

I can only guess, but I bet you see him next year. Deer are so tough.

Comment

I am going to agree with Artos, that deer looks older.

Comment

Yet another typo I meant that I had him at two last year and fast forward to this year putting him at 3. And I could honestly even be off on his age. Thanks for the input guys. I am hoping we get to see him make it !

Comment

I got him at 5

Comment

I think you're underesitmating how strong, tough, and adaptive deer are. The only thing I can think of is maybe the yotes might have a spotlight on him, but who knows. I bet he makes it.

Comment

Depends on the coyote population. Do some varmint hunting this off season.

Comment

I think he has a shot. I have seen several three legged deer that make out just fine. I think the biggest question is will he be able to sustain the growth curve you have been watching. No doubt the injury will affect him next year, just how much is the question. Keep us posted brother, will be an interesting situation to follow through the off season.

Comment

rough luck. that's a tough call to make. seen deer with a limp survive, but never seen a deer with its leg stickin straight out like that. prolly a 50/50 type chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X