2x72 grinder build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2x72 grinder build

Trying to step things up on my grinder. I've got it mostly built, just needing to get the tool arm, platen attachment and a couple of other small things finished up and it'll be ready to go.

Base

Motor, drive wheel, bearing blocks and tracking wheel installed.

Spring mounted for sanding belt tension.

Clamped on the platen assembly to check clearances.

Uh oh, got a little problem. No biggy, I have a workaround in mind.

Should have it all finished up this coming weekend. Hopefully.

Comment

Sorry the photos are so cluttered. As soon as I get his done, the wife and I are spending some time in the garage for spring cleaning. That place is messy. I'm embarrassed............

Comment

Looks like you could raise your back bottom wheel high enough to get clearance. Suppose you might have to move it back some as well to take up the slack depending on how much travel is in the spring. I'm guessing that is what you had in mind.

Comment

Actually, I'm thinking I will cut a piece of tubing and "double stack" weld it and mount the platen assembly on the top (short) piece. That will raise the platen enough to get the clearance needed. I clamped it up about that high just to see and it looks ok like that.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Going up looks like the easiest option. Up a section of tubing but also on a hinge so you have have the belt running horizontal as well.

Comment

Got the platen arm put together today. Still have to tighten/line up a few things, but it's working like a charm. Can't wait to get to really use it. Sorry if the video is grainy.

Comment

That is slick! Did you build from plans or just do it yourself?

Comment

Got some plan's but have had to modify a little to fit the parts I bought like the platen.

Comment

Where did you get all your parts from?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                        Where did you get all your parts from?
                        I bought the drive wheel, tracking wheel and the platen assembly from Oregon Blade Maker on Ebay.

I bought the pillow blocks and drive shaft from USA Knifemaker.

I bought the 3 step pulleys at a local hardware store as well as the steel tubing. I got the plate from a friend that had some left.

Here are the plans that I used. They are good step by step, but I would get the wheel and platen before starting next time because I had to back up and modify it a little due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                          I bought the drive wheel, tracking wheel and the platen assembly from Oregon Blade Maker on Ebay.

I bought the pillow blocks and drive shaft from USA Knifemaker.

I bought the 3 step pulleys at a local hardware store as well as the steel tubing. I got the plate from a friend that had some left.

Here are the plans that I used. They are good step by step, but I would get the wheel and platen before starting next time because I had to back up and modify it a little due to this.

http://www.shankcustomknives.com/how...92e5c1a9b5fff9
                          Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Nice build BTW.

Comment

Working...
                          X