Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can
Default Best steak cut. You're probably wrong

Okay, just went to my favorite steak restaurant and ordered my favorite steak cut and temp to have it cooked to. Delicious as usual. EXCEPT, my wife decided to try something new and it totally blew my mind! But, before I get to the point, here's a little history about my steak upbringing. As far as I can remember, my father would always grill every Sunday. It was seven cut steak from the butcher with their own seasoning over charcoal. Well done. Meat always had to be well done. Otherwise we would get worms, according to mom. This was an El Paso tradition since I was a little kid. Then one day for prom we all went to Cattlemans. A well known steak place in El Paso. To my surprise there was no seven steak on the menu. All other kinds of cuts except for seven. What the heck?! The waiter recommended something called a ribeye so I went ahead and ordere that. Well done, of course. Well holy hellz if that wasn't the biggest cut I've ever seen. "This", I said to myself, "is what rich people eat". lol. Anyway, a few years after that I moved to San Antonio (thank god) and me and my girlfriend decided to go to a steak restaurant (we were poor and just started working decent jobs). We went to a restaurant named Texas Road House. Man! We were living it up! I saw that they had ribeye on the menu and I decided to plunge since we could now afford a little more in our budget. Well done, of course. My girlfriend at the time ordered the same cut except she ordered it medium. "Are you crazy?! You wanna get worms?!" The waiter explained that all steaks were cooked to at least around 135-140 making the steak completely safe. Well, I didn't take any chances. When out food came out, her steak was the most juices steak I had ever seen. But, nonthenless, I ate mine. At the end, she offered me a bite and promised that I would not get worms. "Fine", I said, and I took a bite. Oh my god!! It was heaven!! What the heck have I've been doing to steak my whole life? I've literally burned off all the flavor out of my steaks!! From then on, medium ribeye it was for me. I've been having the same cut and temp now for over 15 years. About two years ago I tried the prime rib and it was also amazing. I'll order that every once in a while. So, here in SA, I've been to many a steak restaurants, but my altimeter favorite is Saltgrass. They just make a dang fine steak. So, tonight the wife and I went to our local steak house and I ordered the same as usual. Pats ribeye, medium, with a side of brussel sprouts. My wife usually also orders the same except this tonight. This time she ordered the filet. "Why?" I asked. "Because she wanted to try something new". Fair enough. She ordered it medium as well. Our plates got to our table and I egain to devour my steak. I asked my wife how her strak was and she said it was better than the ribeye. I almost threaded her with a divorce! But, I had to try it. And be known to me, it was amazing! It was just as good as a ribeye but just a bit more flavor. I think it was more meat flavorful because it was a lean cut. But I enjoy the marbling on a rib eye. What do you prefer and why?
Efren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

My wife prefers a filet and I prefer a ribeye. Usually the filet is tender and leaner. Ribeye usually is fatter and more flavorful. I like my steak rare to medium rare. Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorites for a everyday cheaper end steak place. A few good ones in Houston but my favorite is Taste of Texas
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
Beargrasstx
Six Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado

I now rarely go to a steak restaurant but go to HEB and buy ribeyes to cook at the house
Beargrasstx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #4
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Bone-in Ribeye.....Kosher Salt/coarse black pepper or Barnacle Dust .......medium-rare over mesquite coals.

Filet is for women with a small appetite..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
TxAg
Pope & Young

Filet mignon cooked medium is the best.

Saltgrass ain't bad, but wait till you go to a true steakhouse! Yum!!
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Sirloin at a steakhouse or ribeye if Iím cooking. No one can ever cook a decent ribeye at a restaurant for my liking.

However, I went to Vic ad Anthonyís last year with my fiancť for Valentineís Day and had their 40 ounce steak thatís akaushi beef and holy hell. The best steak Iíve ever had, hands down, by leaps and bounds. If you like marbling on the ribeye, this will blow you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
buzzbait
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado, Lavaca, Blanco, Gillispie and Fayette

Growing up we ate 7 steaks also. Butchered our own. Best steak out there. Picked up a package at HEB Brenham a couple weeks ago. Kids loved it.
buzzbait is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #8
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

While I do enjoy a filet, it’s always a me rare ribeye for me. I need the fat and juices which accompany the ribeye cut. Most places, the filet also lacks in size. I’d have to order two in most cases. In fact, we had a date night tonight and I knocked out a 16oz ribeye and finished off several bites of my wife’s filet. Got my red meat fix tonight!
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
Austin
Ten Point

Have not found a better steak than one I can cook at home. I like ribeyes and filets equally depending on what I am in the mood for. If you are going to cut the fat off a ribeye you are giving up the flavor. Filets are tender and juicy as well.

What I will say is be it a sirloin, ribeye, or filet if it is cooked past medium rare it is over cooked
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
aggieman08
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Sirloin at a steakhouse or ribeye if Iím cooking. No one can ever cook a decent ribeye at a restaurant for my liking.

However, I went to Vic ad Anthonyís last year with my fiancť for Valentineís Day and had their 40 ounce steak thatís akaushi beef and holy hell. The best steak Iíve ever had, hands down, by leaps and bounds. If you like marbling on the ribeye, this will blow you away.

Give Del Friscos in the Galleria a shot.... best I've had and I've been to most.
aggieman08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
shea.mcphail
Four Point

Hunt In: Canton

My grandfather that I never knew told me mother that there’s only one cut of steak worth eating. Ribeye.
shea.mcphail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:13 PM   #12
MetalMan2004
Six Point

If Iím not very hungry Iíll certainly wnjoy a prime filet rare. Uaully is a NY strip though. Iíve always wanted to order the tomahawk chop but havenít found the cojones to do that...
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #13
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Ya burnt shoulder steak ees no bueno por caca.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
If Iím not very hungry Iíll certainly wnjoy a prime filet rare. Uaully is a NY strip though. Iíve always wanted to order the tomahawk chop but havenít found the cojones to do that...

The one at Vic and Anthonyís is phenomenal!

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #15
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

I get up in a house that ask cooked steaks well done. My mother still likes hers cooked that way. My favorite is the ribeye cooked rare. Filets are good as well, cooked rare.

When I grill steaks at home, my kids get theirs medium rare.

When my son was seven years old he hit his first homerun over the fence. We were excited and want to saltgrass to celebrate. now he is 11 and expects to go to saltgrass every time he gets a homerun. This season he has hit for so far. He is going to break me. LOL

salth2o is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:22 PM   #16
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Marbeled ribeye nothing but sea salt and coarse pepper, 1.5 inches thick... 500 degree pit 1.5 minutes each side then off! Perfection !
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:24 PM   #17
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post

What I will say is be it a sirloin, ribeye, or filet if it is cooked past medium rare it is over cooked
This. OP...try it like this and thank us later.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #18
KSU_Wildcat
Spike

Hunt In: Eastland County

Need to try medium rare. Makes for a more flavorful ribeye.
KSU_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #19
WBT
Eight Point

Hunt In: Stephenville

I grill steaks about once a week. Typically a choice filet medium rare. A light coat of olive oil with coarse black pepper and sea salt. That's it.
WBT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #20
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Have not found a better steak than one I can cook at home.

Your home steak should be the best. You just have to concentrate on one piece of meat and can cook at season it to your specific liking watching it like a hawk. Restaurants have 20 plus steaks going at a time in some cases and can't devote the time you can to your one piece.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #21
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
My wife prefers a filet and I prefer a ribeye. Usually the filet is tender and leaner. Ribeye usually is fatter and more flavorful. I like my steak rare to medium rare. Texas Roadhouse is one of my favorites for a everyday cheaper end steak place. A few good ones in Houston but my favorite is Taste of Texas
My favorite steak is the Prime Ribey cooked Smedium Rare on my pit over Mesquite Coals. Now, having said that, I just had the 2nd best Ribeye ever at Ramble Creek around the corner from you in Richmond off Grand Parkway. I've eaten steak from Texas to Montana to N.Y.. Anything over Medium Rare and you are ruining a steak.
Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:48 PM   #22
Das71198
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
Okay, just went to my favorite steak restaurant and ordered my favorite steak cut and temp to have it cooked to. Delicious as usual. EXCEPT, my wife decided to try something new and it totally blew my mind! But, before I get to the point, here's a little history about my steak upbringing. As far as I can remember, my father would always grill every Sunday. It was seven cut steak from the butcher with their own seasoning over charcoal. Well done. Meat always had to be well done. Otherwise we would get worms, according to mom. This was an El Paso tradition since I was a little kid. Then one day for prom we all went to Cattlemans. A well known steak place in El Paso. To my surprise there was no seven steak on the menu. All other kinds of cuts except for seven. What the heck?! The waiter recommended something called a ribeye so I went ahead and ordere that. Well done, of course. Well holy hellz if that wasn't the biggest cut I've ever seen. "This", I said to myself, "is what rich people eat". lol. Anyway, a few years after that I moved to San Antonio (thank god) and me and my girlfriend decided to go to a steak restaurant (we were poor and just started working decent jobs). We went to a restaurant named Texas Road House. Man! We were living it up! I saw that they had ribeye on the menu and I decided to plunge since we could now afford a little more in our budget. Well done, of course. My girlfriend at the time ordered the same cut except she ordered it medium. "Are you crazy?! You wanna get worms?!" The waiter explained that all steaks were cooked to at least around 135-140 making the steak completely safe. Well, I didn't take any chances. When out food came out, her steak was the most juices steak I had ever seen. But, nonthenless, I ate mine. At the end, she offered me a bite and promised that I would not get worms. "Fine", I said, and I took a bite. Oh my god!! It was heaven!! What the heck have I've been doing to steak my whole life? I've literally burned off all the flavor out of my steaks!! From then on, medium ribeye it was for me. I've been having the same cut and temp now for over 15 years. About two years ago I tried the prime rib and it was also amazing. I'll order that every once in a while. So, here in SA, I've been to many a steak restaurants, but my altimeter favorite is Saltgrass. They just make a dang fine steak. So, tonight the wife and I went to our local steak house and I ordered the same as usual. Pats ribeye, medium, with a side of brussel sprouts. My wife usually also orders the same except this tonight. This time she ordered the filet. "Why?" I asked. "Because she wanted to try something new". Fair enough. She ordered it medium as well. Our plates got to our table and I egain to devour my steak. I asked my wife how her strak was and she said it was better than the ribeye. I almost threaded her with a divorce! But, I had to try it. And be known to me, it was amazing! It was just as good as a ribeye but just a bit more flavor. I think it was more meat flavorful because it was a lean cut. But I enjoy the marbling on a rib eye. What do you prefer and why?
For a special occasion, you should try Kirbyís prime steakhouse in San Antonio. Itís located at 123 N Loop 1604 Just West of Hwy 281
Das71198 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:53 PM   #23
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Rib-eye or NY Strip, depends on what I'm in the mood for. Either salt and pepper or Espresso Chili rub. Cooked rare.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #24
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Medium rare ribeye is primero. Fillet or tenderloin is a close second. Nothing ever over medium rare though.
Swampa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 11:56 PM   #25
Cooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County & Anderson County

I grill ribeyes at home rare-medium rare. My favorite is the tomahawk ribeye cooked medium rare from Eddie V’s in Ft. Worth. A cup of lobster bisque, the tomahawk with sides makes me fat and happy during the evening and miserable later that night!
Cooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 12:33 AM   #26
Horsefly
Eight Point

I'll cook a 10-12 oz filet with a good coffee rub. The family moans when eating them. Oh, and medium rare for all of us including the kids.
Horsefly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 12:43 AM   #27
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Not a fillet guy myself ( their great but not my choice). Rib eye, t bone, club, sirloin all great. Simple salt & pepper mostly. Med-rare if ordering. If I cook it rare. Past medium is ruined and I don’t send food back often/ever, except in this situation. “You can take this back”
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #28
coon007
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Tx and Hill country

picanya cut with course salt and course pepper
coon007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 01:22 AM   #29
ON THE EDGE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Banquete, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efren View Post
Wife and kids out of town? Boss woulda said your were lonely
ON THE EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #30
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Your home steak should be the best. You just have to concentrate on one piece of meat and can cook at season it to your specific liking watching it like a hawk. Restaurants have 20 plus steaks going at a time in some cases and can't devote the time you can to your one piece.
Totally agree on the home steaks. Can devote time to it and pamper it just the way I like. We only cook NY strips any more, and on an outdoor griddle, not a GRILL, only seasoned with kosher salt and course black pepper. Seared till a good char on both sides but still Medium on the inside. Same with filets.
We used to cook only ribeyes but compared to a NY strip, they just have too much fat in them, love the marbling though.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #31
79F250
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo/ Any public land

I always order a ribeye medium rare. Although most times they always seem to over cook it so I may start ordering mine rare. I rather it still moo at me when cutting into it then feel like I'm chewing on my boot. Texas road house is the best I've had out of the steak houses I been too now I know somewhere out there there is better steak house just haven't been to it yet
79F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 01:57 AM   #32
icetrauma
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79F250 View Post
I always order a ribeye medium rare. Although most times they always seem to over cook it so I may start ordering mine rare. I rather it still moo at me when cutting into it then feel like I'm chewing on my boot. Texas road house is the best I've had out of the steak houses I been too now I know somewhere out there there is better steak house just haven't been to it yet
Texas Roadhouse does it pretty good for their price point.
icetrauma is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 02:16 AM   #33
TexMax
Pope & Young

I didnít know a post about steaks could make me so depressed.
TexMax is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #34
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Try Japanese wagyu.....it'll blow your mind. Fattiest steaks I have ever had.

Ribeyes for me and we have gone to a lot of the "steak" restaurants on the strip...gets expensive to live here and go out to dinner with friends/family after a while . We are pretty spoiled As far as favorite steak...its a toss up between CircusCircus and Mesa Grill for us so far. Have my eye on a few more places to try out but won't be steaks exclusively.

BTW...its a sin to cook past med-rare.

Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 04-22-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #35
Bruiser
Ten Point

thread has to be joke
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #36
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetrauma View Post
Texas Roadhouse does it pretty good for their price point.
Very true!

Their medium rare filet is great. Salt Grass should be called Salt Dirt!

Bobís filet of porterhouse is the best!
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #37
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
thread has to be joke
No doubt but some people just do not know steak!
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 06:47 AM   #38
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Ribeye or Fillet Medium rare, leaning towards the rare side.

Just like with venison, overcooked is not bueno. I sure hope you're not cooking your deer steak to well done. Try it Medium rare as well and you'll be much happier.

Sea salt, black pepper and HOT coals.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #39
TB80
Ten Point

Iím surprised no one has mentioned the ribeye cap. That has to be one of the most marbled and flavorful cuts I have had. I have only found it at Costco but would highly recommend it.

TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #40
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

My brother-in-law, who is a chef at a high-end steakhouse, goes to the table when a well-done steak is ordered. He explains that he prefers not to prepare steaks well-done because it does not allow him to highlight the quality of their beef, and highly recommends medium-well unless the guest has dietary restrictions. He says many well-done steak orders are sent back because theyíre tough (well no ****?).

New York strip, top sirloin, or a filet for me please, medium-rare.

Last edited by 30-30; 04-22-2018 at 07:24 AM.
30-30 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #41
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I am a ribeye fan. I too used to eat my steak well done (had something to do with my upbringing also). Somewhere I found out how great a steak is when it is not over cooked. My way to order steak is to say, knock his horns off, wipe his butt and slide him across the grill.
deerwatcher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #42
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Ribeye, medium. My wife gets the filet, and I have eaten some but to me a ribeye is way better.
We ( IMO ) do better steaks here at the house than any restaraunt I have ever been to. ( road house, saltgrass etc ). I have never been to a real, high end steakhouse
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #43
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

I like chama guacho Brazilan steak house. I love the way you are served many different cuts of meat .
Ribeye at the house , salt , a little garlic pepper, seared in a iron skillet then finished in the oven on hi till med rare
And if my lady wants to try something new !! She will need to let my food settle
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:24 AM   #44
Bort
Six Point

Since variety is the spice of life, I suggest broadening your horizons and trying the following steak related things.
  1. Wagyu (a Japanese breed of cow. If you want to spend big $, get Kobe beef. Itís Wagyu that has been mausaged itís whole life)
  2. Chimichurri (Argentine herb sauce)
  3. Filet
  4. Tritip
  5. Flat Iron (a cheap alternative cut of meat that is amazing with Chimichurri)
  6. Sous Vide with a reverse sear (cooking method)
  7. Beef carpaccio (raw beef. Go to a good restaurant and you wonít get worms)
  8. Steak Florentine

Happy eating.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #45
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

Ribeye rare or if the restaurant can do it Pittsburg style

I don’t eat steaks often anymore. I grew up in the Panhandle and my dad was a partner in a feedyard. When I was young we always had custom cut (half or quarter of a beef)meat from a Mennonite butcher. We ate a lot of beef and it was just different than anything I can find now. When I was in high school and college the feedlot would offer beef for $1 per pound ground and $2 per pound “cuts”, wish I could buy a freezer full of that now!

We have a few expensive steak restaurants here in Tyler but that doesn’t compute to good.

Last edited by Cantcatch5; 04-22-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #46
BigCohiba
Six Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Montreal steak seasoning. We love it on steak. I like a ribeye, t-bone, or ny strip cooked very rare - just warm in the center. My wife likes hers medium which to me is almost ruined! Lol. I’d rather cook a steak at home than go out anytime. And I’ve been to Sullivan’s, Eddie V’s, Pappas Steakhouse, etc. - some top shelf places.
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #47
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Ribeye is definitely the best combination of flavor and tenderness in my opinion. Filet is more tender but less flavorful, and benefits from saucing. If I’m eating filet at home, I’ll make a blue cheese/toasted walnut/butter sauce to put on it.

And medium rare please. I like them cut 2”+ and reverse seared or sous vide.
sir shovelhands is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #48
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
My favorite steak is the Prime Ribey cooked Smedium Rare on my pit over Mesquite Coals. Now, having said that, I just had the 2nd best Ribeye ever at Ramble Creek around the corner from you in Richmond off Grand Parkway. I've eaten steak from Texas to Montana to N.Y.. Anything over Medium Rare and you are ruining a steak.
The old Ramble Creek or the new one? The new one did not disappoint last week when we tried it out.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #49
Diamond S
Ten Point

Tenderloin cut 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch thick. Pan seared in cast iron then finished in the oven to medium rare is my favorite, however, if I am cooking over coals ribeye is the go to for me. Season the way most have said above and medium rare.
Diamond S is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #50
lab man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan

My favorite is a Porterhouse. You get both the New York strip and fillet in one steak.
lab man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top