New to hog hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to hog hunting

I have a ton of questions. First off I’m not new to hunting but never been into hog hunting until just recently, i have baited areas with just hand corn and have pics at night but no real time pattern . Does a person use a “pig call” or just sit and wait? I don’t have a motion light up but i do have a pig tube out and figured i would just shine the light from my bow when i hear them come in. I’ve only been out twice and both times no success, wind was right and and i put some serious time sitting in the stand first sit was 5hrs and last sit was 7....,super confused . I know you don’t see somthing every time out but i didn’t even hear a pig anywhere. That’s another thing are pigs super vocal coming in or are they quiet? Any info much appreciated

For me they are never consistent. Give it time and you can start seeing a small pattern usually. I use a motion light it helps a lot. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck patterning. They are nomadic creatures. Just feed and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Someone's they're loud and other times they sneak in. I know that helps! If you feed a lot and consistently, you might develop a pattern. Hand corning will bring them in but you may not see them. Let the fun begin!. We always saw them right at dark or right after

Comment

When i do hog hunt its more eradication then hunting, however run dogs if you can,bait if you cant but remember this. Hi cap mags no less then a .223 but most importantly CARRY A SIDEARM(not yelling) .357,.45 seriously dont try to be super macho and go out bow only hogs can and will hurt you real bad i have taken hogs by bow but always have had someone with us with a rifle

Comment

My experience with hogs, and I wish I knew nothing about them, is this: Hogs are where you find them. They can be consistently inconsistent. The only thing that makes them somewhat patternable where I hunt is that we've noticed that they (some of the time) follow about a three day schedule. My buddy took about two months worth of trail cam pics, put them on a spreadsheet, and came up with that. If you have a cell cam, it's useful, if not, then you just know what happened and not what's happening.

The best way to kill them on my place is to pour out three or four corn piles that you can come into with a couple of different winds and shoot them with NV. We use a golf cart to slip around without noise, but we're not hunting hogs for fun as much as just trying to kill the bastages. If you're hunting for fun and can only hunt weekends, you just need to persevere. You'll get lucky sooner or later.

The most important thing IMO to consider is your wind. Small, dumb hogs are fairly easy, but older hogs will get the wind on your setup and they'll know you're there before they get close enough to kill with a bow. Good luck !

Edit: I reread your post and when you say the wind was right I know it was from your perspective but a big hog will circle the bait well away until he can smell what's there besides corn. If you're bowhunting, you're busted and may not even know it. I highly recommend an enclosed blind with an Ozonics unit. I have proved to my satisfaction that this will work on hogs more times than not.
            Last edited by Drycreek3189; 01-01-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Do some searches on here for soured corn recipes. Bait regularly for several weeks. Bury the corn so they have to work to eat it. That’s about the only way I’ve ever been able to get them on a pattern. Keep a camera on it and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You on private property/lease? Or somewhere else? Lots of ways to do it, and be successful. And they can be patterned to an extent. I've had them waiting on me to be fed, at 2PM before.

Comment

Bullets in ear holes. Kill all you can for the betterment of society.

Comment

We have feeders but kill most along the baited roads. Long straight stretches baited for a few days in a row. I have found the biggest boars are the most nocturnal and usual just show up alone. Breeding groups can be very loud however and easy to stalk.
                    I don’t have the patience to sit at a feeder in the daylight and wait for pigs because I have been disappointed too many times. At night with a lit feeder is the highest % Hunt.
                    Been killing them for years. Yet to have a dangerous encounter.

Pistol is nice to dispatch wounded pigs however.

Comment

Lot of big time hog hunters on here will chime in like Skinny/fishindude. But here are a few things that have worked for me on my place.
                      1. Feeders will help get them in some kinda pattern esp if you throw early evening and another throw an hr or two into dark. Consistent feeding develops some kinda consistent pattern.
                      2. Game cams should tell you a pattern when and where to hunt. Use them to get some kinda idea
                      3. Typically full moon nights with feeder light/gun/bow light works great. Red light esp that comes on at dusk and stays on seems to spook then less.
                      4. They will disappear for a little while when pressured or shot at. Dont worry they will be back.

Comment

I bait once a week for the past 3 months, i have been getting them on cam at night 95% of the time . But times range from 11-4.there are a few pics at dusk and I’ve only had a handful of morning pics. How does coyote activity affect hog activity ? If the hogs smell coyotes are they out of there or can they be in same area? I know common sense tells me that hogs want to stay away from the coyotes but i honestly don’t have a clue. I know right at sun down the coyotes sounded strong and it sounded as if there were multiple packs. Thought maybe that would have scared them off. Or what about high water levels ? There is a creek about a 1/2 mile away from me and it’s super full right now would that prevent the hogs from normal travel?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayt22 View Post
                          I bait once a week for the past 3 months, i have been getting them on cam at night 95% of the time . But times range from 11-4.there are a few pics at dusk and I’ve only had a handful of morning pics. How does coyote activity affect hog activity ? If the hogs smell coyotes are they out of there or can they be in same area? I know common sense tells me that hogs want to stay away from the coyotes but i honestly don’t have a clue. I know right at sun down the coyotes sounded strong and it sounded as if there were multiple packs. Thought maybe that would have scared them off. Or what about high water levels ? There is a creek about a 1/2 mile away from me and it’s super full right now would that prevent the hogs from normal travel?
                          Looks like you have the pattern 11-4. I don’t think the care about coyotes to much hogs are pretty aggressive. I think you should start feeding a different location maybe you can get closer to their bedding grounds.

Comment

Yotes are the ones that better stay away from a mature hog, or sow. No match for one.

But they will eat the carcass or gut pile if given half a chance.

Comment

Pigs do swim by the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X