Going to the lease for the first time since January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the lease for the first time since January

Hill country lease just west of Austin. No corn on the place in that same time frame. I have absolutly no idea on quality of bucks this year. Friday afternoon will be my first day down there this year.

If you were in my shoes would you anticipate shooting a buck or would you hunt a few weeks to see many bucks in order to narrow your choice list down to 1-4 bucks?

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    Hill country lease just west of Austin. No corn on the place in that same time frame. I have absolutly no idea on quality of bucks this year. Friday afternoon will be my first day down there this year.

If you were in my shoes would you anticipate shooting a buck or would you hunt a few weeks to see many bucks in order to narrow your choice list down to 1-4 bucks?
    Definitely #2 .. Put out a game cam and so what kind of bucks you've got on the place . Then you can pick a mature buck and walk the others .

Comment

I dont have game cams and its likely i wont get much hunting in this year because i bought a house that needs a complete remodel before we can move into it. I passed everything last year.,No bucks and only 2 does. I do anticipate seeing several in the 120-135 range and id probably shoot the first one @ 135+.
      But i also dont really care if all i kill are a couple doe.

Comment

My experience - Put out as many cams as possible. Hand corn quite a bit in front of each cam to hold the deer in position. Acorns are falling big time due to year we have had which means action at feeders will be slow. It took me two years to find somewhat of a pattern on my place. Also don't ignore old set ups. Hopefully the hunters before you took care of a lot of the scouting for you. Only way I would shoot a buck my first year was if it was going on the wall. Think of the first year as purely a scouting endeavour for next year. I wouldn't think twice about taking a doe first chance you get.

Now if this lease is an uncertainty for next year.....well that is a different story. then your freezer dictates everything
        Last edited by ted_kennedys_liver; 09-27-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I'd go option two, but I wouldn't pass up on a good shooter opening morning either

Comment

i usually try for minimum 4.5 year or better. Unless of course a spike or other obvious cull comes along . Good luck to you this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ted_kennedys_liver View Post
              My experience - Put out as many cams as possible. Hand corn quite a bit in front of each cam to hold the deer in position. Acorns are falling big time due to year we have had which means action at feeders will be slow. It took me two years to find somewhat of a pattern on my place. Also don't ignore old set ups. Hopefully the hunters before you took care of a lot of the scouting for you. Only way I would shoot a buck my first year was if it was going on the wall. Think of the first year as purely a scouting endeavour for next year. I wouldn't think twice about taking a doe first chance you get.

Now if this lease is an uncertainty for next year.....well that is a different story. then your freezer dictates everything
              Let me clear this up, i have been on this lease since 1989
              And have 2 set ups in place for 10 years. But no feeders or cameras.
              I know ill see several bucks and probably a few to tempt me. I just dont have any idea what those temptations might look like. Neighbor shot a 150+ last year but ive never seen anything quite that good.

Comment

I know ill see several bucks and probably a few to tempt me. I just dont have any idea what those temptations might look like. Neighbor shot a 150+ last year but ive never seen anything quite that good.
                Gotcha. I think you will know "THE ONE" when he shows based on your experience at this place. If you know there are some ones from last year that have 150 potential then hold out if you aren't dead set on mounting one. No bucks showed up on my place until January this past season. I assumed they had all been mowed down. I really learned Gauging deer numbers and quality is not accurate at all by focusing on feeders when acorns are readily available. I knew it played a factor but didn't realize how much until now. I have been using decoys for years during rifle season in large openings. They will really be instrumental this year. Stops 99% of them dead in their tracks. Fun to use as well.

Comment

Shoot the first one you see since you don't seem to interested in the preparation of hunting much and you don't have the time to do much hunting anyway. Get it done, get it over and try to be better prepared next year.

Comment

If you see one that your happy with shoot him! If you see a bigger one later in the season then you have a target for next season

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Shoot the first one you see since you don't seem to interested in the preparation of hunting much and you don't have the time to do much hunting anyway. Get it done, get it over and try to be better prepared next year.
                      Not really about prep. My stands are in the same spots every year.
                      very little in the way of growth in the shooting lanes.
                      And no lack of interest in going to the lease simply no time with 2 kids and 2 jobs and all that goes along with that.
                      I'm just wondering what someone else might do or expect if they were in my shoes
                      Last edited by flywise; 09-27-2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Haven't been to my lease since February....2014. I know from my BIL that the owner cut most of it and intends to cut the rest of it, we just don't know when. Still, we have hunted this area for nearly thirty years and know where deer have moved through in the past. I'm going for a few days in a couple of weeks and it will be interesting. Lease costs us very little so I can't complain much.

Comment

I'd shoot if I had neighbors with fingers.

Comment

If you've been on the lease that long then I'm sure you have a good idea what you would shoot or not at this place. If I was in your situation and one came by that I would consider a shooter then I'd let one fly.

Comment

You need to take a friend. I'll be your friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X