Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #4551
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress

I think half of Texas goes to 81. I hunted it last year lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #4552
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I Can

Tagged out in NM! Two solid bulls down near the Gila.. One we called in on a string and the other we spot and stalked. Mine was @ 50 yards and his was at 60. My first bull and his best to date. Could write pages about each one but it's been a long week with about 3 hours sleep each night, so I'm beat! Maybe later lol!
Attached Images

Deers & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #4553
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deers & Beers View Post
Tagged out in NM! Two solid bulls down near the Gila.. One we called in on a string and the other we spot and stalked. Mine was @ 50 yards and his was at 60. My first bull and his best to date. Could write pages about each one but it's been a long week with about 3 hours sleep each night, so I'm beat! Maybe later lol!
2 awesome bulls. That is a great 1st bull and your buddies is a STUD! Congratulations, I was hoping you would post a picture after seeing your euro request.
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #4554
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Dang what Gila unit
Was that. I saw some big ones in the wilderness but settled for a small 6x on the last day. We were
Hunting high and the big bulls we're In the thick stuff

KC Huntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #4555
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

Thanks guys! We're both super happy and satisfied!

Ya, they weren't where they were supposed to be yet. They were up in some steep nasty country. We went up after them. Was tough coming from sea level but we ground it out We got mine up in the steep stuff near a burn and then towards the middle of our hunt they started finally coming into the rolling junipers where my buddy got his.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #4556
ladrones
Pope & Young

Nice couple of elk deers&beers.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #4557
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Thanks guys! We're both super happy and satisfied!

Ya, they weren't where they were supposed to be yet. They were up in some steep nasty country. We went up after them. Was tough coming from sea level but we ground it out We got mine up in the steep stuff near a burn and then towards the middle of our hunt they started finally coming into the rolling junipers where my buddy got his.
Nice job! We are headed that way next week!
ShockValue is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #4558
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

There needs to be a rule in this thread to not ask units.
Etxnoodler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #4559
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:

Awesome bulls guys. I will be so pumped if I can get a bull like either one of those next week. Congrats!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #4560
Drop Tine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxnoodler View Post
Why? If someone doesn't feel inclined to disclose that then they don't have to. It's certainly not the same as asking a guy for his fishing spots.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #4561
Drop Tine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere and anything legal

Quote:
Congrats fellas! Great bulls!
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #4562
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Quote:
Why not? They don't have to give it out if they don't want. It's like not asking what county you hunt in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #4563
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Actually it's not. Most elk are killed on public land. and they don't just give those tags away. But it really doesn't matter I guess if they want to give their spot away.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #4564
trophy8
Pope & Young

Unhappy

Quote:
Actually it's not. Most elk are killed on public land. and they don't just give those tags away. But it really doesn't matter I guess if they want to give their spot away.
Oh come on. We try to help each other out here. They aren't giving GPS coords. If someone doesn't know the Gila units are prime then they live under a rock.
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #4565
ShockValue
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider View Post
Why not? They don't have to give it out if they don't want. It's like not asking what county you hunt in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The Gila National Forest is 3.3 million acres.
ShockValue is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2017, 10:14 PM   #4566
Still Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico

Quote:
Nothing feels better than sitting on top of your big bull elk and grabbing those antlers... Congrats to you both!
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #4567
twdjr
Ten Point

Quote:
Congrats on the 2 nice bulls!
twdjr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 09:02 AM   #4568
txhoghunter2
Six Point

Hunt In: Northeast TX

I'll be going on my first elk hunt in Oct. Packing into unit 82 horseback for 2nd rifle. Trying to get in shape and round up all the gear I think I need. I'm pumped, should be an awesome trip no matter what.
txhoghunter2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #4569
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Hey congrats on your bulls. The question about the units is more out of curiosity as ive only hunted in 2 different units in the Gila. Its just discussion. But whatever.
KC Huntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #4570
Deers & Beers
Ten Point

I don't mind talking about what unit I was in in or where the bulls were or any advice I can give, I'd just rather do it over a PM or phone call. So if you're really curious just PM me. I could really care less cause I'm in a well known trophy unit so it's not really a secret, but the people I hunted with might. One especially cause he's a local and took us to some of his lesser known spots..
Old 09-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #4571
old killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico

Original plans were to leave for N.M. on the 6th. That didn't work out with 48' of rain. I had the house dry with 2 feet of sheet rock and insulation removed in two and a half days. Thought I could leave today, but when the first restaurant opened, I bought the wife a pizza and I got a hot sandwich. She is ok but I got food poisoning. After 3 days with no food I had lunch today. I hope to pack tomorrow and leave early Tuesday for the season opener on the 15th. If I get there the first elk I see is going to the processor
old killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #4572
LWC
Ten Point

I wouldn't give the unit # of a unit on a public forum where someone just killed 2 nice bulls. It will definitely increase the number of folks applying the next year and decrease your odds. That kind of discussion should generally be done via pm
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #4573
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by old killer View Post
Original plans were to leave for N.M. on the 6th. That didn't work out with 48' of rain. I had the house dry with 2 feet of sheet rock and insulation removed in two and a half days. Thought I could leave today, but when the first restaurant opened, I bought the wife a pizza and I got a hot sandwich. She is ok but I got food poisoning. After 3 days with no food I had lunch today. I hope to pack tomorrow and leave early Tuesday for the season opener on the 15th. If I get there the first elk I see is going to the processor
Dang that is tough to overcome. Hopefully the days spent in the high desert will help.
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #4574
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I wouldn't give the unit # of a unit on a public forum where someone just killed 2 nice bulls. It will definitely increase the number of folks applying the next year and decrease your odds. That kind of discussion should generally be done via pm
Don't say that, we help everybody out here lol. They are living under a rock if they think handing out unit numbers won't affect the draw odds or pressure if they want to go back. That's why you only take extremely trusted people to your spots. Because if they tell a couple people then those tell a couple people and so on. And before you know it the original guy is sitting there wondering why his spot is covered up with people. Lol. Even if you just say the national forest name. That will narrow it down to a few units. Just a heads up for people this hasn't happened to yet.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #4575
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

The size of these units and the relative small reach of Texas Bowhunter isn't going to change your draw odds. I hunt unit 55 in CO, come find me.

Just one more day!! Packing all my stuff tomorrow night
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #4576
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
The size of these units and the relative small reach of Texas Bowhunter isn't going to change your draw odds. I hunt unit 55 in CO, come find me.

Just one more day!! Packing all my stuff tomorrow night

No joke. I assure you that he could have posted the unit in his original post and it wouldn't have changed the odds by 1% next year......likely not a tenth of a percent. The prime units in the Gila are always going to have crappy odds of drawing a tag.
RdRdrFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #4577
supertrooperl14
Ten Point

Hunt In: SE New Mexico, Robert Lee

Quote:
Awesome job guys!!!!!
supertrooperl14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #4578
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

Me and a few guys from here just got back from CO. I was with Reed Goodman AKA bowfishingfool when he knocked down his cow with me calling. 56 yd shot.

Raleigh was there and BobG held down logistics. We hit up the dreaded unit 53. Steep and thick country. I learned a ton and feel more confident about next season.

-------------------------------
Violence never settles anything
-Genghis Kahn
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #4579
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Very nice guys
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #4580
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdRdrFan View Post
No joke. I assure you that he could have posted the unit in his original post and it wouldn't have changed the odds by 1% next year......likely not a tenth of a percent. The prime units in the Gila are always going to have crappy odds of drawing a tag.
He said it was a unit NEAR the Gila. Big difference between one of the top units in the Gila that have very low single digit odds of drawing. Some units near the Gila have double digit odds of drawing a tag. They won't if word gets out all over the web. And more than just TBH members can see the posts. Lots of folks out there doing searches for little gems of units with better than usual drawing odds. I'm one of them.

Just a word of caution and people can post what they want to. Just don't be surprised when it is harder to draw a tag....or it gets harder to find a camping spot in your otc unit.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #4581
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
He said it was a unit NEAR the Gila. Big difference between one of the top units in the Gila that have very low single digit odds of drawing. Some units near the Gila have double digit odds of drawing a tag. They won't if word gets out all over the web. And more than just TBH members can see the posts. Lots of folks out there doing searches for little gems of units with better than usual drawing odds. I'm one of them.

Just a word of caution and people can post what they want to. Just don't be surprised when it is harder to draw a tag....or it gets harder to find a camping spot in your otc unit.

He has said that he was hunting a "well known trophy unit" and also said in an earlier post that he was hunting the Gila ("Gila here I come" or something like that).

There are no secret units that consistently produce 400" bulls that people are unaware of. Units that produce quality animals aren't a secret. You don't need a special handshake or anything to figure it out. It's not rocket surgery.

People who get wound up about this crap need to lighten up. The boogie man isn't real either.

Draw odds in quality units suck. Someone posting the unit where they killed a decent bull isn't going to cause any change in draw odds outside of statistical norms.

I hunted AZ 5BS last year and will apply there again every year. There were some really good bulls in the unit and two of the guys in our camp killed great bulls. I'll be back at some point and posting this on TBH will have no effect on the timing of my return.

I leave on Thursday to go hunt the Valle Vidal. I'll let you all know how the hunt goes.

I'm not scared of letting anyone know what units I hunt. I just understand the numbers game and know how many tags are issued in most of these units and I know how many people apply. While those bulls were fantastic, they won't cause a major spike in applications for the unit he was hunting. It wouldn't move the needle.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #4582
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
He has said that he was hunting a "well known trophy unit" and also said in an earlier post that he was hunting the Gila ("Gila here I come" or something like that).

There are no secret units that consistently produce 400" bulls that people are unaware of. Units that produce quality animals aren't a secret. You don't need a special handshake or anything to figure it out. It's not rocket surgery.

People who get wound up about this crap need to lighten up. The boogie man isn't real either.

Draw odds in quality units suck. Someone posting the unit where they killed a decent bull isn't going to cause any change in draw odds outside of statistical norms.

I hunted AZ 5BS last year and will apply there again every year. There were some really good bulls in the unit and two of the guys in our camp killed great bulls. I'll be back at some point and posting this on TBH will have no effect on the timing of my return.

I leave on Thursday to go hunt the Valle Vidal. I'll let you all know how the hunt goes.

I'm not scared of letting anyone know what units I hunt. I just understand the numbers game and know how many tags are issued in most of these units and I know how many people apply. While those bulls were fantastic, they won't cause a major spike in applications for the unit he was hunting. It wouldn't move the needle.

Lol just because your not scared to share units still doesn't make it smart I mean ya sharing a
Once in a lifetime is cool. You can't draw it again.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #4583
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
Lol just because your not scared to share units still doesn't make it smart I mean ya sharing a
Once in a lifetime is cool. You can't draw it again.

One in a lifetime for me but both of my sons will be putting in there if my hunt is what I hope it is. I care more about them than I do myself so.....

You guys just don't get how inconsequential one or two applications are in the grand scheme of things. And don't think for a second that posting up two good bulls on TBH and listing the unit would cause a mad rush next spring. Maybe a couple of folks but that just won't move the needle.

Y'all are making this a much larger issue than it is.

On a different note, I went to set up camp yesterday and saw a whitetail doe at 15 yards standing beside the road in the Valle Vidal. Weird to see her up there.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #4584
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
One in a lifetime for me but both of my sons will be putting in there if my hunt is what I hope it is. I care more about them than I do myself so.....

You guys just don't get how inconsequential one or two applications are in the grand scheme of things. And don't think for a second that posting up two good bulls on TBH and listing the unit would cause a mad rush next spring. Maybe a couple of folks but that just won't move the needle.

Y'all are making this a much larger issue than it is.

On a different note, I went to set up camp yesterday and saw a whitetail doe at 15 yards standing beside the road in the Valle Vidal. Weird to see her up there.

When a unit gives 5-7 tags in a guide or non resident pool 1-2 applications is huge

Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #4585
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
When a unit gives 5-7 tags in a guide or non resident pool 1-2 applications is huge

If it is a good unit then there would be at least 100 applying for a tag. If they give out 6 tags and 100 people apply then you have a 6% chance of drawing. If 102 people apply for the 6 tags then you have a 5.882% chance of drawing.

And think of how little difference that makes in units with even more tags.

I know intuitively you guys think it makes some huge difference. Math says otherwise.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #4586
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Man sounds like a duck hunting forum in here. Good luck to everyone headed out!
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #4587
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
If it is a good unit then there would be at least 100 applying for a tag. If they give out 6 tags and 100 people apply then you have a 6% chance of drawing. If 102 people apply for the 6 tags then you have a 5.882% chance of drawing.

And think of how little difference that makes in units with even more tags.

I know intuitively you guys think it makes some huge difference. Math says otherwise.

Wrong. I drew a good unit. There were around 20 people in the guide pool and 4-5 tags. 1-2 more makes a huge difference in that case. I see your argument but you don't know all the units as well as you think you do. There are some with decent draw odds

Old 09-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #4588
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wrong. I drew a good unit. There were around 20 people in the guide pool and 4-5 tags. 1-2 more makes a huge difference in that case. I see your argument but you don't know all the units as well as you think you do. There are some with decent draw odds

Ok. 6 tags, 20 applicants is 30% odds. 22 applicants is 27.3% odds. Still isn't a major statistical variation.

Sounds like you are likely going to a decent unit.

A decent unit and a good unit are apples and oranges. You can go to a unit with a good opportunity of killing a 300 class bull and an outside chance of something substantially bigger. To me, that's a decent unit. There are a lot of those. A good unit consistently produces large bulls on average.

No matter what you guys think, there are no super secret units that produce monsters every year that nobody knows about.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #4589
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Ok. 6 tags, 20 applicants is 30% odds. 22 applicants is 27.3% odds. Still isn't a major statistical variation.

Sounds like you are likely going to a decent unit.

A decent unit and a good unit are apples and oranges. You can go to a unit with a good opportunity of killing a 300 class bull and an outside chance of something substantially bigger. To me, that's a decent unit. There are a lot of those. A good unit consistently produces large bulls on average.

No matter what you guys think, there are no super secret units that produce monsters every year that nobody knows about.

I would say that my unit is better than decent but not the valle V lol

Old 09-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #4590
LWC
Ten Point

RdRdrFan, good luck on your Valle Vidal hunt. I can't wait to hear about your experience. That is a dream hunt for sure!

I don't think 1 or 2 more apps causes any problems. I just think there are many more folks across the country searching for little tid bits and unit #'s that pop up on forum conversations. Things can snowball if you aren't careful. <1% is still <1% so posting those unit numbers doesn't make a big difference. It is the lesser known units that sometimes get some pub and can change for the worse over a few years of talking about them.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #4591
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would say that my unit is better than decent but not the valle V lol

Everyone has a different definition of decent. I'd. bet a cold beer that it falls into my definition of decent. Not a knock on the unit. Just my opinion.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #4592
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
RdRdrFan, good luck on your Valle Vidal hunt. I can't wait to hear about your experience. That is a dream hunt for sure!

I don't think 1 or 2 more apps causes any problems. I just think there are many more folks across the country searching for little tid bits and unit #'s that pop up on forum conversations. Things can snowball if you aren't careful. <1% is still <1% so posting those unit numbers doesn't make a big difference. It is the lesser known units that sometimes get some pub and can change for the worse over a few years of talking about them.

Should be a fun hunt. I'll post up the details.

I guess to me, in this day and age, the cat is out of the bag on good units. There aren't any unknown top quality units. And I guess that may be the difference. I don't think that someone killing a 380" bull in a unit that produces 300" bulls on average makes the unit an unknown honey hole. It has to consistently produce. And those units aren't a secret. 10+ years ago.....maybe. But not now. You can't turn back the tide.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #4593
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Everyone has a different definition of decent. I'd. bet a cold beer that it falls into my definition of decent. Not a knock on the unit. Just my opinion.
Call it "Mid Tier" lol. More PC than decent
Old 09-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #4594
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Call it "Mid Tier" lol. More PC than decent

I can roll with that. Lol
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #4595
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Should be a fun hunt. I'll post up the details.

I guess to me, in this day and age, the cat is out of the bag on good units. There aren't any unknown top quality units. And I guess that may be the difference. I don't think that someone killing a 380" bull in a unit that produces 300" bulls on average makes the unit an unknown honey hole. It has to consistently produce. And those units aren't a secret. 10+ years ago.....maybe. But not now. You can't turn back the tide.
I agree on the top units. There are definitely no secrets there. I think we were talking more of the mid tier/decent units that you still have decent odds of drawing. Those are getting harder and harder to find as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #4596
Etxnoodler
Eight Point

First of all a 1 % decrease in drawing odds is still an decrease that was unesisary. Then there's the fact that I can guarantee if you post a picture of a good bull and post unit there will be far more than one or two additional entrees. You underestimate the internet. It's ruining public land hunting. They don't even have to apply the next year but all you have to do is put it on their radar and the next time they apply in that state they will remember it.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #4597
Still Hunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico
Default Tag Soup is Tag Soup! Taste the same!

Thank God for Colorado and OTC tags! So " Financially Challenged" can scratch up enough to make a DIY tag. Even in a "Mid to Low " Tier Unit.
Still Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 05:30 PM   #4598
RdRdrFan
Pope & Young

Quote:
First of all a 1 % decrease in drawing odds is still an decrease that was unesisary. Then there's the fact that I can guarantee if you post a picture of a good bull and post unit there will be far more than one or two additional entrees. You underestimate the internet. It's ruining public land hunting. They don't even have to apply the next year but all you have to do is put it on their radar and the next time they apply in that state they will remember it.

A 1% fluctuation isn't unusual no matter what happens on the internet. This isn't a Western states hunting forum. People don't come here mining for data on where we hunt. And if they do.....and they want to search through thousands of posts in this thread to find out where some decent bulls were killed......so be it. But that is an insanely low number. You guys need to take off the tin foil hat and calm down a bit. Nobody is out to get you.

If you want to be mad at someone for the difficulty in drawing tags then get mad at the Fish and Game departments in all of the western states that severely limit non-resident tag allocations. Look at the number of acres of national vs state lands that are available for hunting. Basically, we (non-residents) pay to maintain alot of the areas that the residents hunt. Tag allocations (resident vs non-resident) should be based on the percentage of federal lands in the state. Now THAT is where we are all getting hosed. It's not the random guy that says "hey, I saw that some guy on TBH killed a decent bull in unit 16D so I think maybe I'll apply there without doing any other research." It's the states that screw non-residents and draw odds....not the internet.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #4599
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
Thank God for Colorado and OTC tags! So " Financially Challenged" can scratch up enough to make a DIY tag. Even in a "Mid to Low " Tier Unit.
Amen
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #4600
LWC
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Hunter View Post
Post the mid tier OTC unit numbers please. I'm looking for a good fall back on the years I don't draw a limited tag