Chaparral Gun Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaparral Gun Hunt

My group was drawn for the gun hunt starting Dec 15. I got an email today saying we can scout the day before and that we get the second choice behind a single hunter.

I would appreciate any suggestions of what compartments to focus our scouting on.

They have 13 compartments available for 12 groups so they said they will be drawing 1 stand by card.

Thanks,
    Mitch

I will be there as well! Looking forward to it. I will be drawing dead last, so leave me a good pasture please!

Comment

I look forward to meeting you.

Comment

A couple of questions. What are the aeration strips? Also has anyone ever hunted the Long pasture?

Comment

Hunt the water i think theres like a lake or big tank there. That's where the big deer were being seen when i was there.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Big deer killed all over that place i know when i hunted last year for archery hunts the guys right up front by the check in were just as successful as the others

Comment

They have an archery going on right now (started yesterday).

Never hunted the rifle hunts but for the archery hunts, we hunted the drainages and thick stuff with sign (shooting lanes were short)

Good luck

Comment

They have an archery going on right now (started yesterday).

Never hunted the rifle hunts but for the archery hunts, we hunted the drainages and thick stuff with sign (shooting lanes were short)

Good luck

Comment

The long pasture has the warthogs. 2 were killed on a youth hunt I was at last month. I don't think there is a bad pasture but the west side seemed more productive than the east side for some reason when viewing the stats during orientation. You would think that means lot more left on east. Of course we were targeting doe/spike and we saw only bucks. Son and I were where with my 2 nephews and I saw 2 4pt and 1 3pt and he saw a 10pt. We hunted the northern half of Ana Nueva. A buddy of mine was in the southern half of Ana Nueva and they saw 5-6 bucks and 1 doe which they got. Ana Nueva is in northeast corner of WMA. There are several small tanks scattered around the WMA. We were right by Scotty pond and saw the 4's and 3. No big ones for us. Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck!!!! I'm jealous

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have everything ready to go just counting the days now.

Comment

I am at James Daughtrey on a management hunt and one of the guys here said his daughter shot a warthog, I was thinking he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and had probably shot a javelina. Sure enough it was a warthog.

Comment

Originally posted by Lethal Injection View Post
                          I am at James Daughtrey on a management hunt and one of the guys here said his daughter shot a warthog, I was thinking he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and had probably shot a javelina. Sure enough it was a warthog.
                          Lethal Injection,
                          How are things looking at james daughtrey? I have been drawn for the GDE in January for the first time. All the info you got would be helpful. Thanks

Comment

I'm here now, have a thread in the around the campfire section. Weather has been working against us this week.

Steve will tell you where the know bucks are during orientation. Picking second my choices would be Baldy and Mustang. Baldy has the biggest known buck and they have trail cams already in place so you should have an idea of the general area he is in. The hunter in Mustang had the big known buck at 100yds yesterday. That is the only trophy that has been seen among the 60 hunters here.

Talk to Steve on the scouting day then look for stand locations in those two pastures so that you can go straight in on the first day of the hunt without disturbing as much and actually start hunting the first night.

Hopefully y'all get some cold weather next week.

Comment

Thanks. There are four of us so I have to decide which area will give all four of us a good chance at a deer. It looks like Thursday the high will be around 66. Good luck for the rest of your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X