No announcement yet.

Hazlewood Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used up my GI Bill finishing my degree. My son is a freshman at Blinn / TAMU and we have been fortunate enough to use my Hazlewood for his tuition. Selfishly (...by reading so of the posts above...), I hope we can get grandfathered or continue to use it. I would be happy with a cap at 120 hours, but limiting 60 hours for dependents? Come on... My "dependents" as the military liked to call them, put up with a lot during several deployments and it would be / has been nice of Texas to give them something back in return. Do we have savings to pay for any short comings, sure, but this sure has been a nice benefit and, I for one, hope it doesn't get completely taken away...

Comment

Originally posted by pope@young315 View Post
      As a veteran myself and an Army brat till I graduated from high school, dependents put up with a lot of sacrifices; From parents deploying to the stress of having to move all around the states and not having a stable place to really call home. So I would disagree!!
      my kids would agree with you. They didn't have their dad around for many birthdays, not to mention moving all over the world. Now the living thing wasn't so bad, they got to experience things many never will, but the instability of no roots couldn't have been easy.
      I pretty much used up all of mine, so passing it on doesn't mean much to me now, but it sure doesn't sit well taking benefits away from veterans. I guess only those of us who wanted to use it, or did use it, are the only ones who really understand that though.
      Last edited by acearrow; 05-06-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
        Why can't it passed to the kids if the veteran didn't use it? I would like to think we earned it!
        Sorry, but I (taxpayer) don't owe the kids of Veterans anything. I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive, but I happen to be a fiscal conservative and my beliefs on that don't waiver.

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
          my kids would agree with you. They didn't have their dad around for many birthdays, not to mention moving all over the world. Now the living thing wasn't so bad, they got to experience things many never will, but the instability of no roots couldn't have been easy.
          I pretty much used up all of mine, so passing it on doesn't mean much to me now, but it sure doesn't sit well taking benefits away from veterans. I guess only those of us who wanted to use it, or did use it, are the only ones who really understand that though.
          Your kids may agree, but it's the parents' responsibility to pay for the child's education. Not the government. All the moving around and stress etc, was caused by you. You signed the contract. Nobody forced you to. You CHOSE to put your family through that.
          Last edited by Bullseye07; 05-06-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Question I was in from 1982 - 1990, had the G.I. bill if i remember right, I think it was about 1500.00. it is now gone does the H.A. support me? soory for the change in direction, i searched WWW and did not see an answer. Thank You

Azle

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
              Sorry, but I (taxpayer) don't owe the kids of Veterans anything. I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive, but I happen to be a fiscal conservative and my beliefs on that don't waiver.
              As a "Taxpayer" myself ...please explain how this changes YOUR Taxes weather I use it or if I pass it to my son?

I am Conservative too and believe there are way more ways to save taxpayers dollars other than cutting a STATE Mandated Benefit (Texas and Illinois) for Veterans or their children that joined in that State.

Conservative PSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! How about looking at all the other BS thats given to people that do not or have not ever done ****!!!

Comment

They are picking on people with high standards, knowing they will get less push back from those that aren't looking for a handout. Imagine the outrage if they put restrictions on some of the other programs that are abused daily by lazy, selfish, worthless citizens. I am not a veteran but have the utmost respect for all who have served. There are many other programs that should be cut or restricted before you start messing with veterans benefits!

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                  They are picking on people with high standards, knowing they will get less push back from those that aren't looking for a handout. Imagine the outrage if they put restrictions on some of the other programs that are abused daily by lazy, selfish, worthless citizens. I am not a veteran but have the utmost respect for all who have served. There are many other programs that should be cut or restricted before you start messing with veterans benefits!
                  Thank You Sir!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
                    (Taxpayer). tell me how much your Tax money goes into Colleges . Being the Colleges are the ones Forking up the bill?

Comment

The proposed changes suck......We veterans will have to do what we always do - SUCK IT UP AND DRIVE ON

Comment

Tough issue...

I agree in the fact that I hate government spending so its hard to argue with cleaning up the program. On the other hand, I served to make a better life for other people and for my family. Being able to pass on a college education to my kids is way more important to me than receiving the benefit myself.

Comment

Only someone that has not served would call this an entitlement. That was EARNED. Most dont even have the balls to serve. Sit around and say thank you for your service. Yet the next sentance is I agree with taking away something our Veterans have EARNED. You dont get paid well in the military, its not easy on the soldier or the family. The whole family sacrifice's, most of you who are too scared or too well off to serve and understand. You want to cut spending, cut is somewhere else. Leave what little our Vets have. SMDH

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                            As a "Taxpayer" myself ...please explain how this changes YOUR Taxes weather I use it or if I pass it to my son?

I am Conservative too and believe there are way more ways to save taxpayers dollars other than cutting a STATE Mandated Benefit (Texas and Illinois) for Veterans or their children that joined in that State.

Conservative PSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! How about looking at all the other BS thats given to people that do not or have not ever done ****!!!
                            That's not what this conversation is about. I do agree, cuts need to be made EVERYWHERE. I can almost 100% assure you I'd want more cuts than you can even imagine.

Originally posted by pope@young315 View Post
                            (Taxpayer). tell me how much your Tax money goes into Colleges . Being the Colleges are the ones Forking up the bill?
                            Doesn't matter if a college charges $1 or $10,000 per credit hour. My opinion is the same.

Wanna know why college is so expensive? Look no further than government subsidization and intervention.

For the record, the changes should be phased in, meaning to new military service members, not current or past, JMO.
                            Last edited by txjustin; 05-07-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              Only someone that has not served would call this an entitlement. That was EARNED. Most dont even have the balls to serve. Sit around and say thank you for your service. Yet the next sentance is I agree with taking away something our Veterans have EARNED. You dont get paid well in the military, its not easy on the soldier or the family. The whole family sacrifice's, most of you who are too scared or too well off to serve and understand. You want to cut spending, cut is somewhere else. Leave what little our Vets have. SMDH
                              One question: Who forced the family to make those sacrifices?

I'll give you a hint, it's not the government.

And for the record, the U.S. Military gets better pay/benefits than 99.9% of the world's militaries.
                              Last edited by Bullseye07; 05-07-2015, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                                One question: Who forced the family to make those sacrifices?

I'll give you a hint, it's not the government.

And for the record, the U.S. Military gets better pay/benefits than 99.9% of the world's militaries.
                                Ignorant!

Comment

Working...
                                X