Recurve bow case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve bow case

I could not find a hard case anywhere to fit my 58 inch (54 inch string) Red Wing Hunter. I'm going to try to get serious enough shooting to hunt with a recurve this year, so I needed a case to transport the bow.

After looking around I decided to use 6 inch irrigation PVC. I went to the San Jose irrigation supply store and tried to fit my bow in one in the rack- and it fit snugly. The project started.

The PVC irrigation pipe comes in 10 foot sections, with 6 inches on one end flared to joint them together. I started by cutting the piece I'd use for the tube, and cutting the flared end into 3 2 inch wide pieces to reinforce the tube on both ends, and the middle. I cut 2, 6 inch diameter pieces of wood for the ends from some Popelar 1 x 8 from Home Depot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00354.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	24721446

For hardware, I took apart a Dell laptop case I found all dusty at work. The handle was a must, but the foam pieces gave me some ideas.

Name:	Duck Hunting 12.15.07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24721447

I glued the foam on the bottom of the inside of the tube to protect the back of the limbs. I also screwed some wooden strips on the sides to help keep the bow from spinning in the tube.

Name:	5.5 8pt.jpg
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	23820881

Here's what the bow looks like inside the tube. I cut a piece of PVC, removed about 1/2 inch to allow it to fit inside the tube and glued it in. That's what the removable end cap sits flush against. On the other, closed, end I slipped the wood end piece into the PVC and put screws through to hold it in place, then glued the larger piece of PVC over to reinforce it.

Name:	DSC00355.JPG
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	23820880

Heres a detail of where the gate latch goes through the PVC. I used plumbers epoxy to glue a steel washer on the PVC tube.

Name:	8pt 5.5.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	23820882

Here's an end view of how it all gets locked up. I had an extra rifle child safety lock that I can use to secure it.

Name:	buck.bmp
Views:	4
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	23820883

And here's the final project with my hunting bow.

Name:	PIC_0179[1].JPG
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	23820884

Nice,I like it. You might might want to put a sock on the bow to prevent any movement inside the tube.

Comment

Flint knapper,

Good idea. The size of the RWH and inside diameter of the tube make it a tight fit, I don't think it's going to move. Frankly, if I could have found an 8 inch diameter irrigation pipe I would have used it and built some foam bumpers to secure the bow, but 6 inch was the largest irrigation pipe. The 8 and 10 inch schedule 40 PVC are very thick walled, very heavy and expensive per linear foot and only available in 20 foot lengths on special order, which is why I went with the 6 inch, thinner walled irrigation pipe.

I think I'm ging to use the left over PVC and wood and build a shorter one to carry arrows and my take-down long bow as well. Kind of a matching set.

Comment

My Father and I have been using thin wall pvc pipe to store our practice arrows for several years now.

You can also build one that is specifically designed to hold your hunting arrows with Broadheads attached.

It works great for when you are traveling!

For the pracice arrows, I use a length of pvc and two end caps. I then put one end cap on perminately and drill a hole in the top of the other end and run a string through it so that I can attach the cap to the tube. This will allow me to never loose the cap.
        I just put foam rubber in the bottom of the tube and the arrows stick into the foam and don't rattle around.

It's not perfectly water proof, but it will keep your arrows and fletching dry and out of the weather.

Comment

I built one the other day to ship a bow that I had sold. I put the couplin end about 2 foot from the end and made a two piece . what size PVC is that. Looks good.

Comment

6 inch (ID) irrigation PVC. It comes with holes pre-drilled and without holes (which I used).

Comment

Working...
            X