Instinctive Compound Shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instinctive Compound Shooting

How feasible is this? i've been a recurve/instinct shooter my whole life and I did hunt with my dad's compound w/ sights a few years ago and i hated it. But if i were to rig up a comp. with no sights, how do y'all think it would turn out? Heck, i'm sure some of y'all could tell me EXACTLY how. I know I'm not the first to think about this. The only thing i think about is maybe loosing some of the "feel" that i have in trad hunting.

Ted nugent used to shot like that.

Comment

Very feasible...

And fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
        Very feasible...
        And fun!
        X2

Comment

Go for it! It's pretty cool

Comment

Following! Got a New Breed Horizon Compound sitting in a box in the shop ,,,,been thinking the same thing!

Comment

i would also use it for bow fishing set up and keep my recurves nice and dry

Comment

Great question. Following. Shouldn't matter as long as the shooter will practice with the same set-up at varying unknown distances enough for the brain to calculate bowhand elevation (assuming consistent anchor and release).

Comment

Originally posted by Oneway View Post
                  Following! Got a New Breed Horizon Compound sitting in a box in the shop ,,,,been thinking the same thing!
                  I apply the same principles as shooting my stick bows. I.E. kinda sorta gap shooting. Only difference is it's alot easier with a compound.

Comment

A three finger glove and a compound. How cool is that!

Comment

I've killed hogs and rabbits that way. Never done it for deer just because I've always wanted the confidence that a sight allows on those longer pokes.

As long as you've got a decent bow and the proper rest you'd be surprised how easy it is right off the bat from 0-20 yards. I do pretty well shooting fingers, but really like shooting a thumb release and no sight. It doesn't feel as natural, but it gives you better consistency and more flexibility with regard to rests and arrows.

Comment

Tim Wells is the king of instinctive shooting with a compound I'd like to try it some day following!!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                          I pull with 3 under. Then drop the bottom finger when I hit full draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                            Thats how I learned to shoot in the late 70s...No site,No Release just the compound and me..Shot 4 deer like that, didnt try my first release till 2005 when I bought a newer bow and got back into it..

Comment

That's all I hunted with up to 5 years ago....switched to recurve then....shooting a compound instictive is the same as a recurve...to get better faster, change your fingers to either three under the arrow or as I did 2 fingers under/one over the arrow and anchored with my middle finger at the corner of my mouth. Try to get the arrow as close to your eye as possible, so you can look down as much of the arrow as you can. Start shooting at 10 yards, for a month, then move back, 12 yards, 15 yards, then at 20 yards....Don't get into a hurry.....practice, practice, practice....

Comment

Working...
                              X