Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Making a Bow Blind Out of It??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking About Making a Bow Blind Out of It??

5' diameter x 10' long fiberglass pipe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	24971976

I can cut it in half and make two blinds. I was hoping for a 6' diameter piece but for free I may give it a shot. Any one have any experience of cutting FRP? I am not worried about the cutting it in half but as far as cutting doors and windows, I am not sure.

5' may be a bit tight to draw inside, but I am in the same boat, I would dang sure give it a shot.

Comment

I bet that's going to work good!

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
        5' may be a bit tight to draw inside, but I am in the same boat, I would dang sure give it a shot.
        No doubt it will be tighter than I like. I have built my other blinds 6' deep. I do think it will work though.

Comment

Going to require a diamond blade at the least. Maybe several of them.

Comment

I hunt out of a 5' diameter pop-up every now and then. It's not roomy, but enough room for one guy and a bow.

I'm not sure that would be worth all the work required to turn it into a blind with a door, windows, and a roof though. Could probably just buy a pop-up for the same or less money, and no assembly required.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisMears.net View Post
              Going to require a diamond blade at the least. Maybe several of them.
              Really? I would have thought a Sazall with a fine tooth metal blade would cut it just fine??? Again, it is 3/8" wall fiberglass reinforced pipe.

Comment

It's not gonna work. Your arms are too long. Let me take it off your hands.

Comment

We cut FRP here at work all the time with a tablesaw and jigsaw. Just wear a dust mask and long sleeves, it gets pretty nasty. If you can have someone hold a shop vac close to the blade it helps.

Comment

FRP is "Fibergalss reinforced plastic". If this is a fiberglass wrapped pipe that's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                      I hunt out of a 5' diameter pop-up every now and then. It's not roomy, but enough room for one guy and a bow.

I'm not sure that would be worth all the work required to turn it into a blind with a door, windows, and a roof though. Could probably just buy a pop-up for the same or less money, and no assembly required.

I have pop ups but have a spot at the lease I would like one more permanant blind. I figure 3- 8' sheets of cheap galvanized corrugated tin for a roof, hinges, and latches may run me $45. I dont count my labor because for my personal use, I am pretty cheap and normally work for beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        FRP is "Fibergalss reinforced plastic". If this is a fiberglass wrapped pipe that's a different story.
                        It is the FRP used for sanitary sewer manholes and such. What we refer to as fiberglass reinforced pipe. Not the heavy stuff made by Hobas for large underground sewer mains.

Comment

How bout cutting it in half down the sides then add two feet on each side with plywood this will make it an oval shape making it 7 ft in the front and back and 5x5 on the side just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by mperez76er View Post
                            How bout cutting it in half down the sides then add two feet on each side with plywood this will make it an oval shape making it 7 ft in the front and back and 5x5 on the side just a thought

I am afraid if you cut it in half down the side, it would loose all strength and turn into two flat pieces of fiberglass. It would open up in other words.

Comment

Why try making a round peg fit in a square hole? Meaning, why hassle with retrofitting for the curvature of the blind when you could make it square big enough to be 6'W x 6'L x5'H?

If I did my math right, the circumference is 15'-8 1/2" so when cut in half, you should have a 10' by 15'-8 1/2" sheet.

So create your internal skeleton from wood, metal, then attach the pieces. This should give you 4 walls and the remainder Piece 5 & 6 of the drawing can be used as your roof covering or flooring.

Just a thought.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X