Over/Under shotguns..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over/Under shotguns..

Looking at a Savage Stevens 555 Over/Under Shotgun mostly because its priced reasonable
    Anyone got experience/knowledge on them or suggestions around the same price point?
    no real preference in 12 or 20...other than i have 12g ammo now..

Really like my Yildiz from Academy...400$...20ga...shoots just like the $$$$ Browning Citori...pull trigger and it goes BOOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo View Post
      Really like my Yildiz from Academy...400$...20ga...shoots just like the $$$$ Browning Citori...pull trigger and it goes BOOM!
      I have looked at them. But, never any personal experience. I have shot some cheaper ones plus a couple Citori's and have yet to see the price different in over and under shotguns.

Have looked at the 555, yildiz, and also Mossberg Silver Reserve. The Mossberg you can get the 12 ga and 20 ga interchangeable for right at $800.

Comment

Got a buddy that has one.. he seems to like it..

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
          I have looked at them. But, never any personal experience. I have shot some cheaper ones plus a couple Citori's and have yet to see the price different in over and under shotguns.

Have looked at the 555, yildiz, and also Mossberg Silver Reserve. The Mossberg you can get the 12 ga and 20 ga interchangeable for right at $800.
          you got a model number for the mossberg?

Comment

I think the difference between the Yildiz type shotguns and the Citoris and other upper end O/U's will come when you get 10's of thousands or rounds.
            They casual bird hunter or clay shooter will never notice...put 10-20 thousand rounds thru a Yildiz, I would be surprised if it holds up.

Upper end O/U guns will go 100's of thousands of rounds with no issues.

I shoot about 500-1000 rounds a week, I would have 0 confidence in a Yildiz holding up, maybe it would...just my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              you got a model number for the mossberg?

Combos go for around 800-900 depending where you buy.

Comment

Thanks.. I'll take a look at that.. im a Mossberg fan.. price point may be a little more than i wanted to spend on something i just wanted to play with though... but ill take a look

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  Thanks.. I'll take a look at that.. im a Mossberg fan.. price point may be a little more than i wanted to spend on something i just wanted to play with though... but ill take a look
                  The non combo 12ga is $576.00 in your range if you are not interested in the Combo model.

Comment

A friend has the Strevens. He likes it, but if he had the coin, he would go Browning. I shoot a Citori, but I bought it when you could get one for $1,000. Can't do that now !

Comment

I would look hard at a CZ. I have experience with the Mossberg Silver Reserve and it has not been good. Been back to Mossberg twice. Maybe I got a dud. I bought a CZ while the Mossberg was being repaired and although they are both Turkish built guns, the quality of the CZ was far and above the Mossberg. As stated above, a low end gun will not hold up to thousands of rounds like a browning or Beretta but I have put a LOT of rounds thru my CZ and it hasn't faltered yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dwactx View Post
                        I think the difference between the Yildiz type shotguns and the Citoris and other upper end O/U's will come when you get 10's of thousands or rounds.

They casual bird hunter or clay shooter will never notice...put 10-20 thousand rounds thru a Yildiz, I would be surprised if it holds up.

Upper end O/U guns will go 100's of thousands of rounds with no issues.

I shoot about 500-1000 rounds a week, I would have 0 confidence in a Yildiz holding up, maybe it would...just my $.02

Totally agree. If you’re wanting a gun to enjoy for a lifetime find a used Beretta or Browning. I won’t dive into all the manufacturing differences but the main issue is the receivers on the majority of the Turkish guns are not machines from a single piece of steel.

If a guy only shoots a few hundred clays and and a few dozen doves a year, the Turkish guns are fines.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddcaster View Post
                          I would look hard at a CZ. I have experience with the Mossberg Silver Reserve and it has not been good. Been back to Mossberg twice. Maybe I got a dud. I bought a CZ while the Mossberg was being repaired and although they are both Turkish built guns, the quality of the CZ was far and above the Mossberg. As stated above, a low end gun will not hold up to thousands of rounds like a browning or Beretta but I have put a LOT of rounds thru my CZ and it hasn't faltered yet.

The CZ, without a doubt, is the top Turkish gun out there. The Dickinson Arms line look to be well built as well but I have no experience with them.

Comment

I had a Yildiz as an entry gun into the O/U market. I put around 5-7k rounds through it over the course of the 7 years I owned it. I used it in my skeet league, dove & duck hunting and sporting clays. It went to Briley for warranty work 3 times twice for broken firing pins and once for the extractors. While it was a good entry level O/U and served the purpose for my budget at the time I would not buy another one as a primary shotgun. I own a Browning 725 now and could not be more pleased. With that said, I'm likely going to buy another Yildiz in 28ga soon to use on occasional dove/quail hunts and again when my budget allows I'll upgrade it one day to a Browning/Beretta.

I would advise checking the warranty on whatever budget O/U you buy and find out exactly who services it. Because of the loose tolerances of these guns, I would say there is a decent chance you will run into a couple of issues. The great thing about the Yildiz is that it is serviced by Briley in Houston and can easily be dropped off for work.

Comment

Working...
                            X