Do solar panels weaken with time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do solar panels weaken with time

I have had a ongoing battle with raccoons this summer and have had to replace 3 solar panels as part of the collateral damage. All of the units I have replaced the batteries have shown much better charge and the motors throw much more corn. My theory is that the panels have been getting less effective. Is this a real thing?

Solar panels

I’m no scientist, but yes, that has been my experience.
    Would love for someone to confirm.
    Last edited by 220swift; 06-28-2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yes, up to 1% per year.

<p dir="ltr">We estimate that solar panels lose about 1% of their production every year. Is that estimate accurate? Maybe not.</p><br /><div><br /><br /></div>

Comment

I've seen some get "cloudy" to where I'm sure they're less effective.

Comment

Good question

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
            This was definitely happening as well.

Comment

The one on the feeder in my big hog trap has a plastic cover and the cover is looking more and more the color of Wild Turkey, etc. Feeder still does just fine.

Comment

Everything gets weaker the older it gets including us

Comment

I replace my solar panels every 7 years if they make it that long.
                  Replace batteries every 3 years.

Comment

I've used headlight lens restorer on them. Output jumped 3 volts

Comment

Yes, they degrade over time. Quality modules have standard 25 year warranties. Cheaper, plastic framed modules (like many deer feeder models) will cloudy up to due to moisture inside. And like others have said, similar to headlight lens restore will work some on the outer surface. Typical warranties will be 25 years for 85% of it's output and 12 years for 90%.

Comment

absolutely, there are a few grades of panel too. Not just the outside material matters.

Comment

I did some testing of a bad solar panel some time ago and in this thread is how to test that the panel is putting out amperage, not just volts. See one of mine would show voltage but almost no amps. It was bad, so take a look at this thread where I show how to use a volt / amp meter connected to the panel and a "good" battery to check the solar panel out.

Ranchdog
                          Last edited by ranchdog; 06-29-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X