Perplexed - Tuning thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been shooting 31" Traditional Only 400s fletched with (3) 5" shield feathers, 64gr insert and 175gr points.
    I've been shooting these from a 51# r/d Longbow and they shoot good and bare shafts group with fletched.
    Now I shot these same arrows from my 60# Recurve and they seem to tune perfectly. Both bows are cut to center with similar strike plate material. Both bows where shot at 20 yards.
    I'm perplexed as to how/why these arrows work for both bows. I do seem to shoot the recurve better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brandon M.; 03-20-2018, 06:54 PM.

I would bet that you could up the point weight on the lb by at least 75 and they would tighten up like the recurve. They appear to be perfectly spined for the recurve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are inherent differences in every bow and you just have to find the arrow combination that works. Seems you got lucky and arrows work for both rigs. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

With that said, I would be curious to see what the speed difference is between the two bows.

Also, what bowyer built each bow?

Comment

Originally posted by PresTex View Post

With that said, I would be curious to see what the speed difference is between the two bows.

Also, what bowyer built each bow?
        I was curious about the speed also but do not have a chrono, I did shoot both into a brand new block and the recurve penetrated 3/4 to 1 inch deeper.

Both bows where built by Roland Jenkins out of Huntsville. The recurve was recently given to me by my uncle and was one of Rolands early bows. The longbow is one of his newer ones which he uses a couple carbon lams in the limbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
          I would bet that you could up the point weight on the lb by at least 75 and they would tighten up like the recurve. They appear to be perfectly spined for the recurve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in agreement with this^^^^^, although not sure exactly how much weight it would take? My first thought when I read your specs was that you might be a little too stiff for the longbow.

And sometimes, things work that just don’t make sense!!!!

That is some good shooting, btw!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great Shooting! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.......

Comment

That a good group at 20.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd be happy with both groups. I cant group that tight with a dang .22

Comment

Thanks guys, I wish they all looked like that.

They seem to be close enough that I can make them work for both bows. I'll try adding a little point weight when shooting the longbow and see what happens, I just don't want to get to heavy since I'm already right at 11gpp.
                  Out of the recurve these arrows are about 9.25gpp, and flight is great so I don't think I'll change anything for now.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	24534681

This is my 20yd group, so I wouldn’t lose sleep over yours! Incidentally, regarding your weight, I’m shooting a 15gpi total weight arrow with 40% FOC, so you’ve got a little room on arrow weight, IMO.

I know my longbow shoots heavier arrows WAY better than lighter ones.
                    Last edited by Maddog20/20; 03-21-2018, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Maddog, if you are shooting that well routinely, you got nothing to worry about!!!!

And are your arrows 15 grains per inch or 15 grains per pound of draw weight? GPP is what we mostly speak in terms of, and there is a great difference in the two!

I would like to see your arrow specs, as I have never seen a 40% FOC arrow!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        Maddog, if you are shooting that well routinely, you got nothing to worry about!!!!

And are your arrows 15 grains per inch or 15 grains per pound of draw weight? GPP is what we mostly speak in terms of, and there is a great difference in the two!

I would like to see your arrow specs, as I have never seen a 40% FOC arrow!

Bisch

I’m at 9.2gpp. I thought he said gpi, my mistake.

I’m shooting the Black Eagle Instinct at 31”. They get a little help with that FOC because it has a 100gr outsert before you even put a tip on it.

Maybe I’m calculating it wrong, but it’s a 485gr arrow with 200 just in the tip. Did I do the math wrong?

Comment

I think you are not calculating correctly??? If I had to bet, I would bet you are in the 22-24% range somewhere.

Here is a calculator to figure it:

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            I think you are not calculating correctly??? If I had to bet, I would bet you are in the 22-24% range somewhere.

Here is a calculator to figure it:

Bisch
                            I had to go to a 600gr broadhead just to get to 32% FOC.
                            40% is a lot. A "Whole Lot".

Rick

Comment

Well, there you go. I learned something today. I thought FOC was the percentage of weight in the front half of the arrow. Allow me to adjust that to 21.8%...so I was only off by double.

Thanks for the correction. I’m still new to the particulars and physics, so bear with me
                              Last edited by Maddog20/20; 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X