How many fly fishermen on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I like the fastest rod I can find too. I have a couple TFO TiCr-X rods that are super fast. Those are the only TFOs I own, but I do like 'em.
    I started off with medium action just to get the feel for it. Tried a slow once... good gravy NO! (at least not for me.) At $200 for a combo... I am usually willing to try it blind on reviews that the rod holds up to normal abuse for the situation.

I think the next rod I'll try will be a fast rod. I always read that they are for more experienced casters... for which I am not. I have fly fished a lot of ponds and have spent a lot of hours fly casting and one thing is for sure... it ain't pretty.

Originally posted by klooney View Post
    Well... I found a spot on brushy creek in hutto today... I would love to post some pics of the fish I took, but like a dumb arse I waded up to my hips and my phone that was in my backpack got wet��

I'm not even that mad, after a 70 hrs week, 2 hours in the water was worth it
    This is why I don't wade to my hips. Slipped on a rock once and almost took a dive. Had the phone in my pocket

Been thinking about getting a small water proof backpack. Maybe even a 10L dry back with the back straps/sling. Saw one online that even had a pocket (water proof fly box!) I usually wear a waist pack... but I'm thinking of ditching it.

Comment

I don't think fast rods are only for for experienced casters, necessarily. If you get along better with a fast rod, it doesn't matter how much experience you have.

Comment

Couldn't catch em today. Gonna try again after dinner

Comment

[QUOTE=SwampRabbit;11449334]I started off with medium action just to get the feel for it. Tried a slow once... good gravy NO! (at least not for me.) At $200 for a combo... I am usually willing to try it blind on reviews that the rod holds up to normal abuse for the situation.

I think the next rod I'll try will be a fast rod. I always read that they are for more experienced casters... for which I am not. I have fly fished a lot of ponds and have spent a lot of hours fly casting and one thing is for sure... it ain't pretty.

More experienced casters tend to handle them better as timing is more critical and you need to have arm stroke in your cast to load the rod to really get out of it what it is capable of. However, some just find it right for them and if you never try one, you just won't know.

Comment

Some nice brook trout and rainbows my son caught on the fly rod in northern Michigan. These are his first fish on the fly rod and he did amazing! Casting needs some work but he's got the basics. He missed a lot more fish than he caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got the Redington Path combo in. Had a chance to hit the pond and cast an 0/1 clouser... definately an improvement over the 6wt!!!. The rod did seem to load pretty darn quick and shot line pretty good.

Soon will be the real test... the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                I just got back from Jackson, WY. All the water was way up from the snowmelt and a lot was dirty as well. The snake was clearing up when we left but almost looked like the Brazos when we got there it was so muddy. I bank fished a few spots in Yellowstone with no luck. I didn't expect it but had to try. Are the Orvis classes any good? I need some casting help- I'm not consistent and can't get a lot of distance. Sometimes the line just piles at the end of the rod. why is that?

Yeah, it is hard to fish big water when there's a lot of runoff. May/June is tough in the Rockies.

Orvis schools are great if you don't mind spending the money. I think you can learn a lot at those schools. For the same money you could also hire a decent guide and go fishing! You'll learn a lot about casting with a guide. And you'll get into fish!

Not sure where you are at, but there is probably a Fly Fishing club in the area. I'm in DFW and there are a few.

As far as line piling up, it is most likely because your rod arm is pushing the rod through your casting stroke before the rod tip can "load" at the end of each stroke. If the rod doesn't load, and you change direction (forward or backward), you are soaking up all the energy from your cast, reducing line speed and velocity. That causes the line to drop down and eventually pile up.

Also, remember that the line will follow your rod tip. If the rod isn't loading (bending under the weight of the line that is moving forward or backward), then your rod tip is making a wide arc in the air, and your line will try to follow the arc. Line arcing, and losing speed because you aren't loading the rod, means the line will pile up in front and back.

Unfortunately, the tendency when you see your line slowing down is to try and speed up your cast. This has the effect of slowing the line down more (makes it harder to load the rod), and speeds up the pile process. LOL

The thing to do is actually slow down, which is kind of anti-intuitive. But, you need to give the line a chance to get out past the rod tip on both forward cast and back cast. This will put the weight of the line, increased by the forward or backward momentum of the line, on the rod tip, causing it to bend. When the rod is loaded, you change casting direction and the loaded rod springs back toward straight, hauling the airborne line with it. This increases the line speed and gives you more control of the cast.

So, a good cast is one that keeps the rod, more or less straight with your forearm, the tip high (when you bend your wrist, the tip drops down behind you making a large arc). Each stroke of the cast starts when the line in the air is past the rod tip. The back stroke moves back and then you pause to let the line get past the tip, then start the forward cast, again, pausing at the end to let the line go by.

Once you've experienced the rod loading and unloading, you'll know what it's like and it will help you to learn how to pace your stroke to match your rod. One of the problems that people sometimes run into is they look for a "fast" rod, or a sales person sells them a super "fast" rod, which is often more expensive. For a beginner, it can be hard to load a fast rod and even harder to feel the load. But, practice in a large grassy field will help! You just need to get used to the timing of the rod and work on keeping the tip up and you'll get it.

Of course, the more line you have, the more you have to load the rod in your stroke. So, avoid trying to cast 50 yards of line at first. 20-30 will be enough to load the rod and give you a chance to practice.

Hope this helps! If not, look up "Tailing Loop" or "level cast" on YouTube.

Comment

My casting improves when I watch my back cast.

Comment

+1

Comment

To me Fly-fishing and Bow hunting go hand in hand! Been fly-fishing for 35+ years and the only way I really like to fish anymore! Have caught ever species of fresh water fish on a fly rod and have caught Reds, Specs Trout, Spanish Mackerel, Sand Trout, and some Saltwater fish that I don't know the name of in my years of Fly- fishing! We also tie our own flies! Just Love wading for Trout in a stream or Reds and specs in the Bays!

Comment

Just spent some time on the Yampa river up here in Steamboat Springs. It's a tough river. Misquitos actually drove us off some spots ca use they,were so bad

Comment

I'm going to Colorado in a couple of weeks and really want to give it a shot for some trout. We'll be around Avon/Vail area. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go or what to use during this time? I'm pretty new to fly fishing and can't decide wether to try it on my own or hire a guide for a morning of fishing.

Comment

A half day guide is usually pretty reasonable. They will have gear and can help you with the casting basics

Comment

I think I'm going to book with Minturn. They seem a little high at $300 for half day, but I'm sure it's worth it. I've been taking out the fly rod this past week to get some much needed practice in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by stxhunter; 07-09-2016, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Alot of firsts this weekend. First saltwater fish, first trout, first redfish, and first time fishing the surf.

Caught this 18" last night. All the ones this morning were undersized at 14"

Comment

Working...
                                X