Living in Arkansas? Tax Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
    Born and raised there. My sister and BIL still live there. Yes to state income tax. No state income tax on social security if I understand correctly. Real property taxes lower than what I pay. Still not retiring back to Arkansas. Texas is home now.
    same here on all that. Been here longer and I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      I would keep my lease so that wouldn't help me much.
      I'm almost betting that after a couple of years being there and seeing the amount of wildlife, you won't have that lease anymore unless you have a lot of sentimental value in it.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
        Do you have to marry your sister?
        No, why buy the cow when milk is free?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Tooth tax is gonna kill you. Pretty sure they tax you by the tooth and that's why so many in Arkansas choose to have them pulled and not replaced. You, being from Texas are gonna pay a high price for that nice smile. Good luck.
          They dont put beans in their chili in Arkansas either, they caint chew em.
          Last edited by Radar; 12-12-2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
            Tooth tax is gonna kill you. Pretty sure they tax you by the tooth and that's why so many in Arkansas choose to have them pulled and not replaced. You, being from Texas are gonna pay a high price for that nice smile. Good luck.
            Dam you...beat me to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
              I'm almost betting that after a couple of years being there and seeing the amount of wildlife, you won't have that lease anymore unless you have a lot of sentimental value in it.
              I have considered OK and AR also. But I have wondered about wildlife numbers. My ( probably wrong ) impression is that it is like East Texas. If thats the case I just assume stay here. But, my experience out of Texas is very limited so I dont know. It appears Texas is slowly going the way of CA in the next 20-30yrs and I dont want to be here to witness it.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                What area are you looking at?
                The position would be in Flippin. Would like to live around Yellville. I called the tax office today and they said the property taxes on a $300k home would be about $2700 and the taxes on a 2017 Crew Cab diesel would run about $300.

Comment

Arkansas does has state income tax, but State income taxes paid are deductible on your federal income tax.
                  Personal property taxes are a yes, but they don't amount to much unless you have a lot of boats, cars, trailers, etc.
                  Property taxes on real estate are way less in Arkansas.
                  For example, the taxes on my house in Huntsville, TX are about $3,500/yr.
                  Taxes on my similarly-valued house in Conway, AR are about $1,300/yr.
                  House insurance is cheaper also, so is auto insurance.

My over-65 LIFETIME hunting and fishing license is $35.50...just once, not every year.
                  Wildlife numbers? Plenty...and plenty of public places to hunt and fish, especially if bow hunting.
                  What else do you want to know.
                  By the way, I grew up in Conroe.

Comment

Yes to state income and personal property tax. It’s kind of a weird system to get your vehicle registration renewed, but when I lived there they didn’t have vehicle inspections. Taxes were lower than where I am at now for sure. You can buy a lifetime sportsman’s license there for around $1500.

Other than that, I would really look hard at the real estate market for where you’re thinking of living if this will be a short term move. We ended up having our house on the market for over a year after moving back to TX because the market was so saturated, and sales were so slow. I still go back hunting once a year, and visit the town I lived in. Some of the houses that were on the market when we lived there are still on the market now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cousin...sister marrying is an Alabama thing

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                        I have considered OK and AR also. But I have wondered about wildlife numbers. My ( probably wrong ) impression is that it is like East Texas. If thats the case I just assume stay here. But, my experience out of Texas is very limited so I dont know. It appears Texas is slowly going the way of CA in the next 20-30yrs and I dont want to be here to witness it.
                        Misconceptions can cost you great opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                          Anyone on the GS live in Arkansas or lived there in the past? Looking at a possible move and trying to understand the tax implications. From what I understand you have to pay taxes every year on personal property??....and they have a state income tax??

I live north of Little Rock. We do have personal property and state income tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No, cousin, but still better than your goat.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                              Yep, WMAs, not to mention the lakes with deep clear water.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                                Misconceptions can cost you great opportunity
                                Well, I have acknowleged my ignorance, please enlighten me.

Comment

Working...
                                X