No announcement yet.

School me on frog giggin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i love to hunt frogs above any thing else. problem in my part of the world is the drought really did a number on them. they still havent recovered for some reason. i have yet to find a good spot to hunt them. i have a rigged bow fishing boat if anyone wants to team up on some frogs.

i use a bow to take them. old arrows work great. wrap the bottom 12" of the arrow shaft with electrical tape. do it so that the tape overlaps itself forming small "ribs" along the shaft. the tape keeps the arrow from getting pass through and the the ribs and tape itself wont allow the frog to jump off the shaft. use field points, NO BROAD HEADS. i cant count the frogs i have taken and truely miss hunting them like i used to.

im serious about a hunt if any one wants to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
      No bag limit on frogs except on public hunting lands and they must be listed within the Legal Game Box for that unit. Bag limit then is 25/licensed hunter.

Hunting license is required since frogs are terrestial vertebrates. Fishing license is not required.
      I was told by Austin that this applies to all public waters like the Trinity River.

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
        Gander and JohnPaul gave great techniques and information, pretty much as we did when we had good frogging property. Just didn't do any drinking out of respect for the landowners and their restriction.
        LOL they ain't gotta worry about all that, they either ARE the landowners or ARE with the landowners

Comment

I use a 10 foot wooden pole with a small circle net on it. Put it over them they jump flip the net you got em works great.

Comment

I always used one of these on an eight foot cane pole. Gig'em behind the head and put them on a metal clip stringer before pulling the spear out.
            Attached Files

Comment

Slowly, slowly move the spear to within a few inches of the frog's head and give it a quick thrust with your thumb over the end of the shaft.

Comment

Use your hands! Growing up in South Louisiana, we frogged in the bayous along hwy 90 southwest of New Orleans, out of a "putt putt" or motorized pirogue. Caught 47 in a row one night, got to grab the head or between the body slime and powerful legs, they can slip away.

Comment

Caught some bigguns on a topwater one time. Hole sack full.

My dad used to gig em all the time around Lake Conroe. They sure seem to have disappeared over the years.

Comment

I learned to use a long fishing or fly rod with a plan hook on the string. Then put a small piece of red cloth on it. Dangle it in front of them, and they will jump and bite it. Then unhook and bash their heads and throw them in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      I was told by Austin that this applies to all public waters like the Trinity River.
                      Not sure who you may have talked with here in Austin, but that is incorrect, otherwise, it would be listed within the Outdoor Annual on frogs.

It only applies to the TPWD public hunting lands with the APH permit and are listed in the Legal Game Box for the Units which allows frog to be hunted.

Last edited by ground level; 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Good info ground level. We were planning to film a bowfishing for frogs segment for one of my dvds on the Trinity. I called tpwd and got a lady that said she was ast chief law enforcement? if I remember right. She cautioned heavily about making sure each shooter remained below the limit. I had never heard of such.

Comment

Bumpin this back up since ima try some giggin on my days off
                          Last edited by JSF; 05-10-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Is there a best time of night to catch frogs or is it right after dark?

Comment

Originally posted by JSF View Post
                              Bumpin this back up since ima try some giggin on my days off
                              Bump

Comment

Ive been using the same clamp gig for 30 years. Perfect for floating frogs! I use prong gigs when they are on the mud. I run mine on 8' long 1/2" aluminum conduit. Theres an art to gigging a clamp style gig

Comment

Working...
                                X