Here is a head scratcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a head scratcher

So I am changing the oil in my 2015 900 crew ( polaris ) drained the oil, remover the filter.... you know the drill.

So I let it drain for about 20 minutes on a level surface. So long story short, as I was putting oil in ( it holds 2.5 quarts ) I put in about 1 and 3/4 quarts and was going to check the level. Pulled the dip stick and it was over full. Ok crank her up and let it run for 30 seconds to get oil in the filter. Let it sit about a minute and check the oil again..... same thing. I for the life of me can't figure this out, why is the dip stick showing way to much oil?

I have googled till I am blue in the face and still no answers.

Anyone have " correct " answers?

I already know, " should have bought ( insert your brand here )
    Polaris is a P. . S.
    Just thought I would get the jump on a few comments

Interested in this as I will be changing the oil in my '16 for the first time this weekend. Mine is also supposed to take 2.5 qts.

Comment

Does it have a separate crankcase drain? My Polaris Sportsman has a drain on the oil reservoir but then you have to get underneath and drain the crankcase separately. If you don't do the crankcase, it won't hold the usual 2 quarts of oil it requires.

Comment

Did you remove the fill cap and dip stick when draining the oil? Just wondering if it possibly formed a vacuum.
        How much oil drained out? 2 - 2.5 qts?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Does it have a separate crankcase drain? My Polaris Sportsman has a drain on the oil reservoir but then you have to get underneath and drain the crankcase separately. If you don't do the crankcase, it won't hold the usual 2 quarts of oil it requires.
          I don't think so, It did not mention it in the book.

Comment

Look up "4 stroke making oil".

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Freak View Post
              Did you remove the fill cap and dip stick when draining the oil? Just wondering if it possibly formed a vacuum.
              How much oil drained out? 2 - 2.5 qts?
              Yes cap was off and dip stick not seated.

Comment

Does the oil look ok? Mine sat up for a few months and the oil smelled like gas and was over full. Haven't got back up there yet to drain it, refill, and see if it's okay.

Comment

Have you measured the oil that you removed to see how much was in there to start with?

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                    Have you measured the oil that you removed to see how much was in there to start with?
                    No i haven't.

Comment

Does the oil look ok? Mine sat up for a few months and the oil smelled like gas and was over full. Haven't got back up there yet to drain it, refill, and see if it's okay.
                      That would be a possibility if it had sat a while ( it never sits for more than 2 days) But the kicker is I was refilling it after draining the oil.

Comment

My 4 Wheeler did that when the float on the carb stuck and it allowed gas to drain into the case. It’s a Honda and has two plugs that have to be removed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oil is staying in the top end for some reason.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Comment

So here is what it looks like on the dip stick

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	24542421
                            The level should be between the 2 holes.

This is after an additional 2 hours of sit time.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	oil2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	24542422

The dip stick has no " full " line on it. What it has on it is 2.5 quart capacity.

Comment

I had this happen on a truck one time when I was really young helping my dad change the oil in his truck. Turns out I drained the transmission fluid

Comment

Working...
                              X