My first elk with a bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first elk with a bow

This is the 3rd year in a row that ive tried to get a bull elk with my bow.The first year i had 3 chances & messed all 3 up .Last year Elkaholic & I drew a very hard tag in NM to draw & passed on several good bulls waiting for a great bull in unit 16D.This year 4 days into the season I didn't pass on any .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	246 2011 elk small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	24865993
    I got to Colorado the day before the season opened & had been up there scouting 2 other times this summer & had been seeing quite a few bulls on our ranch. I had watched & somewhat patterned them I thought.not.
    So I hung a Game tamer tree stand in a small group of trees on the edge of a hay field on a trail that they had taken several times before while I watched them.On the 4th day of season I got up before daylight & glassed the fields & they were on the hay, about 15 total cows, calves & bulls.So snuck around out of sight of them & got in my tree stand.As the sun was coming up I could hear them playing in the water & sparring in the field next to the one I was in.I thought they would take the path that they had before but they went north. When they did hop the fence into my field they were 350 yards north of me & headed to thee canyon to bed.I thought the morning hunt was over . I thought what the heck & tried my Baby Hoochey. 2 bulls picked up their heads & starred my way. I hit the Baby Hoochey then the Hoochey Mama & the little bull started at me at a trot , My bull was right behind him.The little bull passed by at 42 yards & the big bull is following in his tracks.When he goes behind a tree I stand up & range him again, 42 yards,He gets to an opening & I stop him with a mouth call.Put my 40 yard pin on him & let the Grim Reaper eat . They both ran back where they came from & I cow call again & stopped them at 200 yards . My bull starts getting the wobbles & lays down. The little bull stayed with him about 15 minutes. My bull gets up and walks 10 steps to the brush on the edge of the field and lays down again. Now I cant see him so I wait about an hour and get down , walk 20 yards & now I see antlers on the ground .
    Still Pumped !

congrats, i hope to one day get one myself!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Here's a few more pics.

Name:	252 2011 elk 6 small.jpg
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	24014391

Name:	253 2011 elk small.jpg
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	24014392

Name:	254 2011 elk small.jpg
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	24014393

Comment

Looks like a real nice bull. Did you go by yourself? No one to take a picture for you?

Comment

That's awesome Brett!

Comment

[ATTACH]266380[/ATTACH]

Comment

That's awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by KeeganNotSansaba View Post
                    That's awesome Brett!
                    Thanks Man, Good luck to youguys on your elk hunt , can't wait for the report.

Comment

Awesome animal right there. Great shot too...

Comment

sounds like great hunt ...miss going hope can go back sooner than later..congrats
                        Originally posted by Brett C View Post
                        This is the 3rd year in a row that ive tried to get a bull elk with my bow.The first year i had 3 chances & messed all 3 up .Last year Elkaholic & I drew a very hard tag in NM to draw & passed on several good bulls waiting for a great bull in unit 16D.This year 4 days into the season I didn't pass on any .
                        [ATTACH]266355[/ATTACH]
                        I got to Colorado the day before the season opened & had been up there scouting 2 other times this summer & had been seeing quite a few bulls on our ranch. I had watched & somewhat patterned them I thought.not.
                        So I hung a Game tamer tree stand in a small group of trees on the edge of a hay field on a trail that they had taken several times before while I watched them.On the 4th day of season I got up before daylight & glassed the fields & they were on the hay, about 15 total cows, calves & bulls.So snuck around out of sight of them & got in my tree stand.As the sun was coming up I could hear them playing in the water & sparring in the field next to the one I was in.I thought they would take the path that they had before but they went north. When they did hop the fence into my field they were 350 yards north of me & headed to thee canyon to bed.I thought the morning hunt was over . I thought what the heck & tried my Baby Hoochey. 2 bulls picked up their heads & starred my way. I hit the Baby Hoochey then the Hoochey Mama & the little bull started at me at a trot , My bull was right behind him.The little bull passed by at 42 yards & the big bull is following in his tracks.When he goes behind a tree I stand up & range him again, 42 yards,He gets to an opening & I stop him with a mouth call.Put my 40 yard pin on him & let the Grim Reaper eat . They both ran back where they came from & I cow call again & stopped them at 200 yards . My bull starts getting the wobbles & lays down. The little bull stayed with him about 15 minutes. My bull gets up and walks 10 steps to the brush on the edge of the field and lays down again. Now I cant see him so I wait about an hour and get down , walk 20 yards & now I see antlers on the ground .
                        Still Pumped !

Comment

congrats on super hunt ...miss it

Comment

Congrats on your nice bull elk.

Comment

Awesome, huge Congrats!

I've been 4 times with a gun, killed one bull. My next elk hunt will be with my bow, again congratulations on a beautiful trophy!

Comment

Working...
                              X