Discussion on Lead in Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion on Lead in Meat

What are your thoughts on lead contamination in big game animals shot with lead core bullets?

I have been thinking a lot about this lately. It has made the news, CA went lead free from July 1 this year, and experiences I have had recently have made me think about it.

I shot a buck three years ago with a 95 grain ballistic tip out of a .243 and couldn't find a piece hardly the size of a bb. Obviously no exit. I shot a pig on Tuesday with a 80 grain ttsx, also out of a .243 and it left a very small exit, the pig ran 40 yards.

Here is a good article on the subject.: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2669501/

I think in the article they are probably using non-bonded core bullets. I'm thinking core-lokts. I would like to see if a good bonded core bullet would have the same fragment dispersal.

I haven't made up my mind. I know I am not using non-bonded lead cores again. I do like the performance and killing power of a bonded core, lead bullet. I love big exit wounds, my experience with the solid copper bullets is limited.
    Last edited by BuckSmasher; 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM.

No real science behind our decision but it gives my wife piece of mind to only shoot copper. I haven’t noticed a difference in killing power from elk to blackbuck. Doubt I’ll ever switch back.

My shotgun shoots lead free too
    Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 11-18-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

My broadheads are lead free.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
        My broadheads are lead free.

X2

Comment

There was a good Meateater podcast about this a while back. Basically stated that the lead fragments into lots and lots of tiny pieces kinda like stars in the sky. Most of it is in the internal organs, though.... bad for birds and scavengers more so than people

Comment

Last edited by gfulton; 11-18-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
              That's one of the things that has made me think about this lately. I haven't went dove hunting in years but I went Pheasant hunting last month and there was a pellet in one of the pheasants we were eating. I have pheasant in my freezer now that was shot with lead shot. I think next time I may go steel or bismuth!

Comment

I thinks its a solution looking for a problem. If you guys want to worry about, more power to you. It's not hurting anything to switch to all copper but I think you would be better off spending you time worrying about polar bears breaking into your South Texas deer cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                  There was a good Meateater podcast about this a while back. Basically stated that the lead fragments into lots and lots of tiny pieces kinda like stars in the sky. Most of it is in the internal organs, though.... bad for birds and scavengers more so than people
                  I'll look for that. If you gun hunt ever did it influence your decision on bullet choice?

Comment

I would think you have better odds of dying early from eating fast food than lead shot.

Comment

If lead from a bullet takes me out, it wont be from ingesting it.

Comment

Last time i was at the Dr. I was lead free. Been using the same Remington Core-Lokt ammo as long as I can remember, same with lead shot hunting dove, quail, pheasant. If I come across a shot while eating I spit it out and get another piece of bird. CA is a nut state so I don't see me following anything they do.

Comment

Biggest nothin-burger besides global warming... My family has been eatin' animals kilt with lead shot and lead bullets for over a hunert years... ain't nobody ever suffered any ill side-effects from it... When we eat squirrel dumplin's and get a bb in our mouth, we spit it out on the plate, same for fried doves or quail or rabbit or anything else we eat...

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                            That's one of the things that has made me think about this lately. I haven't went dove hunting in years but I went Pheasant hunting last month and there was a pellet in one of the pheasants we were eating. I have pheasant in my freezer now that was shot with lead shot. I think next time I may go steel or bismuth!
                            you ever bit down on a steel pellet? its not a good feeling lol ill shoot lead at them as long as i can.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              If lead from a bullet takes me out, it wont be from ingesting it.
                              Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                              Last time i was at the Dr. I was lead free. Been using the same Remington Core-Lokt ammo as long as I can remember, same with lead shot hunting dove, quail, pheasant. If I come across a shot while eating I spit it out and get another piece of bird. CA is a nut state so I don't see me following anything they do.
                              Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Biggest nothin-burger besides global warming... My family has been eatin' animals kilt with lead shot and lead bullets for over a hunert years... ain't nobody ever suffered any ill side-effects from it... When we eat squirrel dumplin's and get a bb in our mouth, we spit it out on the plate, same for fried doves or quail or rabbit or anything else we eat...

The research seems to back that up a little bit. in the experiment Pigs that were fed lead tainted meat had their blood lead levels drop back to the control level after 5 days. No discernable signs of illness. I think I'm ok... I wonder if I had never ate lead tainted meat would I have a Nobel prize by now???

But still.... its....lead... in your blood.

Comment

Working...
                              X