Devil's River Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil's River Hunt

Did anyone hunt at Devil's River this past week. I called the area manager and he told me the hunters had pretty good luck on Aoudad with some hunters bringing in two animals. He said some of the Aoudad were in the 25 to 27 inch range. Is that a good Aoudad? I'm going Monday and taking my bow but I'm bringing along a gun just in case.

You will like that hunt. I was lucky a few years back and was able to make that hunt.

Save your time and take the rifle. The odds are very slim with a bow, especially if you are following a rifle hunt. In addition, you will be required to wear orange if this is a rifle hunt....not too good on sneaking up on things.

A 25-27"s is very respectable in the ram world.

Comment

I hunted auodad quite a bit in the canyons in the Panhandle when I was growing up. I don't remember ever being within bow range of an auodad, whether hunting or not. I've seen them countless times, and getting into rifle range isn't out of the question. But hunting them in rough terrain on free range land is MUCH different than hunting close to a feeder on a game ranch. I'm not slamming game ranches or feeders either. It's just a different ball game in big open canyon country on wild auodad. I'd place that kind of auodad hunt VERY high on the list of challenging big game hunts in the US.

I'd take bowpro's advice too.

edit: Now if they have feeders or food plots, then bowhunting might be more possible. Maybe a lonely water hole or something too..... Short of that though, you'll win the lottery before getting into bow range on one.
      Last edited by Shane; 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll take the rifle as there are no feeders or baiting allowed and I do have to wear the orange cap and vest.

Comment

Working...
        X