Alaska DIY Caribou and bear help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaska DIY Caribou and bear help

A buddy and I would like to hunt Alaska for caribou and bear next year and we have zero experience setting up a hunt like this. What is the best way to go about setting this up? Is it even plausible to target both these critters in 7 days or so? All help is appreciated. Really want to try and knock these both out on one trip so we can move on to other target animals. We were contemplating joining the next TBH caribou if this idea does not work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So, yes it's possible but hardly probable on your first trip. It kind of depends on the type of hunt you want and your budget. For example, I just did a DIY moose trip out of Bethel with my brother total cost was about $6,500.00. This included shipping our gear, motor, food, bush flight, shipping meat back to anchorage and processing(no sausage). That same outfit offers DIY where they provide all the gear for $5,500 per guy.

You could easily call 40 mile air out of Tok and ask them to put you down where you had a chance at caribou and bear in a cub, but youre only allowed 50lbs of gear.

There are two consultants that offer expert advice, for a fee, on hunts like you want. The first is Pristine Adventures out of Fairbanks https://pristineventures.com/ or Mike Strahan who has a website called www.outdoorsdirectory.com. They can build a hunt around a budget.

Or you can do the Haul Road for cheap, but success is low and pressure is high. Or DC485 Unit 13 which is a draw hunt, but has walk in areas. I pulled that tag last year, walked in and in two hours shot a cow with my rifle.

If you can provide more details, I may be of more help.

Hugh

Comment

Hughiam is spot on. Keep in mind non residents must have a guide to hunt brown bear. It took us a year to plan our hunt. A combo animal hunt will probably require 10 to 15 days.

Comment

Mudmauler, do you want an DIY hunt or guided. That is the first question to answer.

Comment

Thanks Hugh. Just the info I was looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X