Ruger American Predator Compact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruger American Predator Compact?

I just picked up one of these in Tyler, as my first dedicated suppressor host. One of the gunstore counter guys described it as an RAR Compact:

Ruger American Compact, Bolt Action, 6.5 CREEDMOOR, 20" Threaded Barrel, Matte Black Finish, Black Composite Stock, 4Rd, With Picatinny Base 16980

Never knew such an animal existed until I saw one at the LGS. I've shot a friend's suppressed 18" bbl 6.5x47L some, wanted something similar as my "old man's hunting rifle". The 6.5 Lapua is a real pleasure to shoot suppressed, light recoil and sounds like a .22 rimfire. I figured a 6.5 Creed would be similar, could use factory ammo (may eventually load for it), and would be a good home for my (OMG, horrors!) Vortex HSLR 4-16x44. I'm in to it for significantly less than my buddy's re-barreled short action M700 6.5L, the rifle was just over $400 out the door.

Anyone shooting a short-barrel 6.5 Creedmore? I know there's several RAR and Creedmore threads, but have seen nothing about the 20" barrel guns.

Stu

I'm thinking about buying one and have it cut down to 16" and threaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rare bird i can find it on the net anywhere all say 22" barrels except for the 308 is offered in 18" at Cabelas.

I know in other brands compact = youth so shorter length of pull with shorter barrel. Does the stock seem normal size?

Comment

Cut my Savage 11 down to 17.5" and run a YHM can on it with zero issues. I'm about to send my Ruger American 6.5 off to be cut down to 16.25" to run the can I bought on Black Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
          Rare bird i can find it on the net anywhere all say 22" barrels except for the 308 is offered in 18" at Cabelas.

I know in other brands compact = youth so shorter length of pull with shorter barrel. Does the stock seem normal size?
          No, it's definitely a short LOP "youth" size stock (12 or 12.5 in. LOP). This gun is not shown on the Ruger website, and googling the stock number shows a few for sale on line, but no reviews, etc. You could consider this a standard Compact, with the addition of a threaded barrel and Weaver bases that the standard guns lack. I don't even think Ruger catalogs an RAR Compact in 6.5 Creedmore, either.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post

I googled "Ruger 16980" and several popped up

Could be a distributor exclusive

Comment

^^^ what this guy said.

Comment

Found it thanks guys!

Comment

Here's the Unicorn - 20" threaded barrel, compact stock, Weaver bases, 6.5 Creedmore. Will sight it in tomorrow with the Nikon, maybe move the Vortex to it after a Mid-December hunt in Encinal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RAR Compact.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	24522114

We sighted in my buddy's identical rifle this AM, it held an inch at 100 yds with Hornady 143gr ELDx factory ammo. Hope this one does the same.

Stu

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Weatherby vanguard H-bar.
                      20” barrel chambered in 6.5cm
                      $620 out the door.

Comment

Picked up a Savage model 11 7mm-08 with a bushnell scope and accutrigger for $299 on palmetto (scratch and dent sale) and it had a $100 rebate (so $199). Swapped out the barrel for a 16" 6.5 creedmor barrel that I had laying around. Haven't had time to shoot it yet but it's going to be my go to for hunting in box stands

Comment

$496 investment this weekend for gun plus tax and two boxes of bullets. Topped it with a well-used Gen 1 Nikon Monarch 3-9x and rings I already had. One thing we found out is that placement of the rest under the rifle is critical, responsible for the flyer as I didn't re-adjust it properly after the 3rd shot. 4 round group as that's what the mag holds.

Name:	RAR Target.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24522145

Name:	RAR.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	24522146

Velocity across the chronograph averaged 2543 fps. It' going hunting in South Texas week after next, and after Christmas I'll get busy swapping the 4-16 Vortex to it and filling the buttstock/forend with something to add rigidity.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
                            Picked up a Savage model 11 7mm-08 with a bushnell scope and accutrigger for $299 on palmetto (scratch and dent sale) and it had a $100 rebate (so $199). Swapped out the barrel for a 16" 6.5 creedmor barrel that I had laying around. Haven't had time to shoot it yet but it's going to be my go to for hunting in box stands
                            I'd be real interested to hear how that thing performs......what ammo will you run through it?

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
                              I'd be real interested to hear how that thing performs......what ammo will you run through it?

Stu
                              I've been working all weekend so I'm going to try and get to the range this week sometime. I really like the Hornady SST's I use in my 6.8 so probably end up using the 6.5c SST's. I'll buy a few boxes and see what groups the best. Try to remember to take some pictures when I go. I just ordered thermal for my AR-10 so good chance the vortex 6-24 on it will get swapped to this little rifle.

Also, I did have my gunsmith buddy bed the stock when it came in.

Comment

Working...
                              X