Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Dress Duck for

Taxidermy.

Do you gut out a duck headed to taxidermist?

I have always just froze them solid and then taken them whole to the taxi or shipped them frozen to the taxi.

Comment

How quick do you need to freeze them?

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        I have always just froze them solid and then taken them whole to the taxi or shipped them frozen to the taxi.
        You don’t want to mess with them, the taxi will need to get measurements of the breast for the mold. If you want to mount a bird just sacrifice the bird for the mount.

Comment

What is the proper handing so meat does not spoil and start decommission? Keeping it on ice for a few days, how long befor you need to freeze?

Comment

I’ve kept mine out for several hours before putting them on ice. Then when you get home tuck the head under the wing and freeze.

Comment

Usually shoot them in the morning and they are in the freezer by noon when we get home. So mine only have sat 4-5 hours before they are in the freezer.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Put them in a panty hose and will keep their feathers in good shape while freezing. No need to gut.

Comment

I’ve kept birds on ice for a couple of days packed in ice. I stuff them in a ziplock baggy and put them on the bottom of the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                      Put them in a panty hose and will keep their feathers in good shape while freezing. No need to gut.
                      I’ve heard this before, it let’s them breathe, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post
                        I’ve heard this before, it let’s them breathe, correct?
                        I read not to pack in pantyhose. So many ways.

What is a great price for wood duck?

Comment

Don't put in hose. Make sure bird is dry as you can get by wiping down to remove as much blood and water that you can. Tuck head under wing, put in plastic grocery bag and roll up firmly. Then put in a big ziplock and get all the air out and freeze.

Comment

What to expect in bill?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                              I read not to pack in pantyhose. So many ways.

What is a great price for wood duck?
                              You want a good price or a good mount? I highly suggest Birdman Studios in Trinidad Colorado.

Premium Bird Taxidermy**World Class Waterfowl Duck Taxidermy Mounts*** NationWide Service*** Upland Game Birds***Todd Huffman

Comment

Working...
                              X