Action Cams for Videoing Bowhunts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Cams for Videoing Bowhunts?

I am completely an amateur when it comes to videoing my hunts but I do absolutely love to do so! I used to film with an HF Sony Handycam and based on how it went I see no reason to change. Problem is, mines dead....

I am in the market for a new came and have been real interested in those Action Cams (Go-Pro, Sony Action Cam, etc) I lke the idea of the water proof and shake proof durability because I am fairly certain that in the end it was the moisture and direct rainfall that killed my cam. I got a good 3 year life out of it though filming almost nothing but hunts.

My question to the experts is are the Action Cams good for videoing hunts and kill shots? Does the lack of digital zoom make these less than ideal for anything over 20 yds or so? (I usually zoomed in on quarry before drawing my bow)

Lets hear some pro's and con's, I bet others are curious as well. Thanks!

ac

Lurking on your thread... shhh

Comment

Hey bud, in my professional opinion, you are gonna want to buy a similar camera to your old one. You can buy a pretty nice little hd handy can for like 200-500$ You can make awesome videos with just that cam and I would way rather have the zoom! I use two GoPro hero3s along with our main camera and it's really priceless being we get 3 different angles recording live. It makes for really organic coverage. Anyway, what I'm getting at is if you bought a nice handy cam first and then got a hero3 "silver" you could effortlessly make awesome video just from running a GoPro mounted to your bow (pointed back at you) while you also do your normal videoing on the handy cam.

Comment

Last year when I was in my tripod I used both an action cam and hand held handy cam. I just put the handy cam on a bendable tripod on the rail of the tripod and the action cam on my stab. I just have one of the emerson action cams from big lots and so far it has been a pretty decent camera. Plus they are only like 40 bucks! It also has a zoom and small screen on it which I like

Comment

I have a GoPro so can only speak to that. IMHO they are only good as a secondary camera for getting different angles. I personally like to mount mine facing towards me in a stationary position or on my bow looking back at me. It adds a lot to the video experience.

If you're using it to film the kill shot at 20 yds it will probably look like the deer is 40-50 yds away. You can crop the video down in edit, but the video will be very grainy. I know, because I've tried it

You can get some really good deals on the Cannon Vixia line of camcorders online. I'm on my second one and really like them for hunting.

Comment

Awesome, thanks guys! I was pretty sure I knew the answer here but just like the idea of the action cams so much.

Will go with a new handy cam and maybe buy a Go Pro later on.

ac

Comment

Like down to hunt said, the Gopro being a wide angle camera isn't good for filming a shot. I bought one and it's gonna be for second angle and other parts of taking video. I did notice that cabelas has the Black edition on sale for $329 or $339 from $399. If I would've waited a few weeks I would've gotten it instead of the silver. If you get a silver though, you can download the Gopro app on a smartphone and use you phone as a remote, viewing screen and power on and off.

Comment

Like everyone has said do far POV cameras are just to wide to capture a good kill shot. I've tried the kodak play sport cameras but their small aperture didn't work good in low light and lack of a digital zoom made the quality go down. I would go with a hd handycam or one from Panasonic. I currently use a Sony NEX 5RX. It's the best of both worlds IMHO. Takes awesome DSLR photos and video cam quality HD video.

Comment

You can also use a remote with the silver it just doesn't come with it but the gopro ap is sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Albommer View Post
                    You can also use a remote with the silver it just doesn't come with it but the gopro ap is sweet.
                    Ya it is, didn't know it did everything it did until I started messing with it. Mine is about 5 seconds slow though, is that normal?

Comment

5 seconds late when you turn it on? Or 5 seconds late while viewing What the cams sees on the app?

Comment

Working...
                      X