Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really want to get into trad hunting, but I don't know where to begin, long bow or recurve? Just want ya'll to steer me in the right direction. Also, which brand or make do yall prefer? God Bless

Most people are probably going to recommend you buy a Samic Sage recurve, as they are inexpensive and decent quality. However, I suggest you look around for a used bow of greater quality. If you keep your eyes out, good deals can be had all over. As far as longbow vs. recurve goes, it is a matter of opinion. Try and shoot several models of each and see which you prefer. Good luck!

Comment

Bisch says it best; find somebody local who shoots trad and work with them to get an idea of what you want. There are some bowyers on this forum who make bow of both types and some folks go see them to shoot them and get a feel for what they want.

I was on a tight budget, so I did take the Samick Sage recurve route and read up on it, asked questions on the forum, etc. I've met alot of great people on this forum who have been extremely helpful. Everybody has thier preference (recurve vs longbow) and almost everybody will tell you why they like one vs the other, but are also honest in acknowledging that everybody is different. I think the simple answer is that you are going to have to decide which one you like better. I haven't actually pulled back a longbow yet (they were all too heavy when I was starting out) but I like how light they are, etc.

Welcome to the group.

Comment

I build bows both longbows and recurves. One piece and take downs. If you're in the area come shoot a few some time.
        We can work a trade on that tripod I was wanting.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Bisch says it best; find somebody local who shoots trad and work with them to get an idea of what you want.
          Funny you should type that! I had a whole page typed out and hit the wrong key on my computer, and it all got wiped away!

The best thing you can do for yourself is to find an experienced mentor to help you out at the start. You can read a lot on the internet and get a lot of info here, but there is nothing like hands on and someone being able to explain and show things in person.

As far as recurve or longbow goes, it is really personal preference. Buy something not too expensive, and not too much draw weight, to start with. Learning proper form is the most important thing to being successful with trad gear, and it is very hard to do that if you are fighting excessive draw weight!

I can tell you this too; If you are coming to trad after shooting a compound, you have to be able to accept the fact that you will NEVER be able to shoot a trad bow like you could a wheel bow with sights! You will likely start out with trash can (or even bigger) sized groups, and it takes a lot of time. practice, and patience to get good with a stick! I have seen quite a few guys quit before they ever invested the time needed to aquire the ability to shoot trad bows with no sights.

After all that, Welcome Aboard, and good luck!

Bisch
          Last edited by Bisch; 11-24-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Ditto to what swampy said where are you located westex there is probably someone in your area that can help get you started I am a great example I picked up a bow a little over seven months ago from my neighbor shot every day for four months then twice a week the rest of the time and got my first kill with trad gear last weekend welcome to the next level brother happy hunting

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, TP sounds good, I am hoping to get moved to Lampasas in the near future and I will get on those tripods, I'm trying to tie down a job over in that area, it just hasn't happened yet. I'm going go and try both a recurve and a long bow soon. I live near San Antonio

Comment

Sounds good man let me know when you get moved up here.

Comment

Originally posted by WesTex1 View Post
                  Thanks for the info guys, TP sounds good, I am hoping to get moved to Lampasas in the near future and I will get on those tripods, I'm trying to tie down a job over in that area, it just hasn't happened yet. I'm going go and try both a recurve and a long bow soon. I live near San Antonio
                  If you move to Lampassas, keep in touch. There is a group of us that shoot 3D almost every weekend from Jan-Sept. You would be welcome to join us at any time!

Bisch

Comment

Awesome thanks guys will do, I will be moving there just waiting to get hired

Comment

Working...
                    X