Mech/Civ Engineering Showdown: Tech vs UT vs aTm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mech/Civ Engineering Showdown: Tech vs UT vs aTm

Which school has the better UNDERGRADUATE engineering program in Civil or Mechanical?

State of TX says the degrees are the same, I say aggies hire aggies. Go to A&M. SHSU alumni here. Served me well, but should have gone to A&M.

Comment

Lamar University would be a smart option to consider.

Comment

Go to A&M

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
          State of TX says the degrees are the same, I say aggies hire aggies. Go to A&M. SHSU alumni here. Served me well, but should have gone to A&M.
          This is true.

Comment

I can't speak for mechanical, but if you get a civil degree you will always have a job if you want it and you are a hard worker. The problem with looking at most ranking systems is they account for post graduate and research programs, not just undergrad. I honestly don't know too many Tech civil grads so I can't speak for them. I guess they stay up in the north Texas region. As for A&M and UT, both are excellent programs.

As mentioned before, Ags hire Ags. That said, we're hiring if you know of a Civil looking for a job in small town Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
              Which school has the better UNDERGRADUATE engineering program in Civil or Mechanical?
              From a "What does it take to get into these schools" perspective, it's not even a close comparison. Just look up the acceptance rates of UT versus the others.

Comment

I think quality of education would be about the same, so A&M for the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting thread. I'm not a engineer but my older brother is mechanical from Prairie View A&M. That entire engineering program has been running at nearly 100% placement for decades...……..thus BETTER is subjective at best!

Comment

A & M is the only option!

Comment

If you can get in, obviously A&M or Texas over Tech.

Texas is ranked higher, but A&M has better salary figures at mid-point of career, probably due to the network. Either one of them is basically can't miss. Tech wouldn't be the 3rd option behind those two unless you're dead-set on a State school.

Comment

A&M and UT, when looking at the school rankings, are almost even in their programs. Additionally, job placement is pretty dang high, and the networks of both schools will take you a long way. It really comes down to what type of college experience you are looking for. A more rural experience in a "college" town would be A&M. A more urban experience with a college in the heart of a bustling downtown would be UT.

Tech's programs aren't at quite the same level, but they are still really good programs that produce high quality engineers. The civil engineering network from Tech is pretty strong, especially in the Water utility industry. While the mechanical program produces good engineers, it is relatively small relative to UT and A&M, and thus the network is smaller.

All that said, if you got into all 3 programs, you are a smart individual and your future is likely what you make of it. Work hard, work smart, and have some fun while you are in school. Be proud of your education and pave your own path, and each school will have provided a platform for future success.

And just for transparency, I am a ME grad from A&M.
                        Last edited by texas shag; 04-30-2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

A&M for sure. We AGS take care of each other!

Comment

If you are just going for undergrad I don't think it really matters. You will get a job with a degree from either of them, the rest is up to you to perform. You shouldn't need a "network" to advance your career if you are good.

Comment

Aggie Civil here. You’re network will take you far as an Aggie in the civil design/ land development industry in Texas. We look out for our own.

I had paid internships all through college breaks (winter and summer and could work spring break if I wanted) I had a signed offer letter and job my semester before graduation. That boss was an Aggie. I switched careers after 4 years and moved over to the ownership side and am now a Development and Construction manager for industrial/big box tilt wall warehouses. New boss is an Aggie.

I had to beat 4 other candidates for my spot at my current job and I really think being an Aggie gave me an edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X