Taking Direct TV to the ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question? Wondering if anyone out there has some experience with direct TV at their place in the sticks. Essentially I would like to purchase a dish, install myself, and take a receiver from the house out there and plug in, or purchase another and have on an existing account. I pay direct tv enough and don’t really want to set up another account. I have researched the RV satellites, but they all want you to set up a new account.

Be nice to come in and watch some college football after a morning hunt

i DID EXACTLY THAT. Got a dish off craigs list. Was a dish installer that had several directv dishes. I made a pole set up next to the camper. I take the extra(tv room) receiver to the lease. Hook it up and what ever I can watch from home, I can watch from the lease.

Just takes a little time getting the dish lined up just right.(need 2 people to cut down the time). Just make sure your dish setup is secure and doesn't move with the wind etc..

Comment

I’ve got U-verse. I hook my phone up to the tv...I’ve got 35 gigs a month.

Comment

That's what we did just to watch some college football. No running water but we have TV dang it lol

Comment

A guy at my lease did it. He just brings his box and sets it up. He's gotten good at it so he can do it by himself now

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup, you need a receiver that's activated at your house. Buy separate dish, point south and enter zip code on google for proper alignment. You go to settings and test signal stengths. Depending how far your lease is, you may not get local channels due to spot beam technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt_Dance View Post
              Question? Wondering if anyone out there has some experience with direct TV at their place in the sticks. Essentially I would like to purchase a dish, install myself, and take a receiver from the house out there and plug in, or purchase another and have on an existing account. I pay direct tv enough and don’t really want to set up another account. I have researched the RV satellites, but they all want you to set up a new account.

Be nice to come in and watch some college football after a morning hunt

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              i DID EXACTLY THAT. Got a dish off craigs list. Was a dish installer that had several directv dishes. I made a pole set up next to the camper. I take the extra(tv room) receiver to the lease. Hook it up and what ever I can watch from home, I can watch from the lease.

Just takes a little time getting the dish lined up just right.(need 2 people to cut down the time). Just make sure your dish setup is secure and doesn't move with the wind etc..
              We've been doing this for several years... bought an extra dish off eBay for $12

Comment

Thanks fellas. I kinda figured but wasn’t sure with the new tech if the receivers only worked in the house where the master dvr unit would be located. But if I can get a dish cheap on Craig’s list or eBay it’s worth a shot.

Comment

I just switched to Direct TV a few months ago and I think I’m going to do this!

Comment

I brought my old Apple TV to the ranch and set it up. My company supplies me with a Verizon hot spot and I use it to run the Apple TV. I also bought an antenna and get the local channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s gotta be a stand alone box. The small secondary boxes will not fork for what you are wanting to do.

Comment

When I upgraded to DVR and High Def at the house I took the old dish and one of the existing boxes to the ranch. Once I got the dished lined up I get everything but local channels I get at home. Bought a digital antenna and a A/B box to switch back and forth. For local channels like the news I use the antenna, all others I use the dish.

Comment

I do it all the time. We have a dish mounted on the camper and I take the receiver from home and hook it up.
                          My lease is too far from my house to get my local channels. I think you need to be within 150 miles for that to work. It's nice to keep an eye on the weather when I am at the lease for an extended period of time.

Comment

Dirt dance, do it the easy way.

Order a separate receiver
                            Added to your account, ( I pay an extra $3 for my camper ),, set up an install at your lease... As long as you have a physical address there, a tech will come out and set it up for you. The only thing you may have to do, is plant a 4 x 4 post for him to mount the dish on. They will bury the cable, and get you up and running.

Make sure when you order the receiver, that they send you a SWIM unit also. It plugs in the back of receiver.

Comment

We have a HD receiver at the ranch, so I had a local guy install the dish for me with his signal strength meter. Back before the fancy dishes I had the round one I did it myself, but that receiver wasn't HD.

I have had a Directv box at the lease on my home account for well over a decade.

Comment

Working...
                              X