Attn mountain bikers, need brakes help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn mountain bikers, need brakes help

My bike had Avid Juicy hydraulic disc brakes. The calipers have worn and although they still work, no longer fully release. This causes the brake pad to ride the disc and add rolling resistance.

I pulled the calipers off but left the brake levers and hoses. Can I just install another hydraulic caliper or do I need to replace the whole system?

Second, are all disc brakes hydraulic or are there more than one kind of disc brake?

Third, I have a sweet Rockhopper 29er, but it’s currently just in “minivan service”...just riding in neighborhood with the kids. Sadly no technical trail riding for me in the near future. So with that in mind I do not need or want to spend $250 on brakes. I do want to keep disc brakes though as they are WAY better than the rim clamp type.

Any and all help appreciated!

Also, when I replaced the rear tube, the wheel went way out of true. Is this easy to fix or should I just take it in to a shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like you need a trip to the bike shop. My disc brakes have little brake pads in them that can be replaced

Comment

Disc pads can be replaced. I'm not sure it the calipers are universal with brake levers or not.
        Not all disc brakes are hydraulic. Some are cable driven.
        Having a wheel trued is not that expensive. I can do most bike work but trueing a wheel is one thing that never turns out right for me.

Comment

New brake pads about $10-$15. Lots of YouTubes to show you how to change them. Never had a wheel go out of true just taking a tire on and off. Truing is not easy unless it is a minor tweak.

Comment

I went with Shimano XT's on my bikes and never looked back. Been running smooth for 5+ years with no issues. Get quality and don't look back. A few of my bikes came with Avid brakes and they had issues from the get go.

Comment

That sounds like a trip to the bike shop to me. You can replace the pads and probably watch a few videos about how to do it and be fine.

Getting your wheel back true is another thing all together and if you haven't Done if I suggest letting a shop do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X