Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montana Elk Hunt September (Gear Questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I may be joining an Elk hunt in Montana in Mid/late September this coming season. I've never been on a trip of this nature before. I'm looking for guys who've experienced this kind of hunt to share gear suggestions, do's and don'ts, necessities, etc. All info will be appreciated.

We will be hiking daily out of a cabin; Mostly negative elevation hiking i'm told. We are bow hunting.

Stair master and a lot of it. Good luck.

Comment

I myself have never been, but am looking to do the same for the first time in CO. Here are a few things that I was told
      1) MTN OPS - Ascent. Was told this stuff is amazing when it comes to acclimating to the altitude change. Coming from down here no matter what you do you won't be acclimated when you get there.
      2) Get into better shape. As stated above you won't be acclimated but working out prior will help you with recovery.
      3) Wear your pack and boots while your working out. If your boots are new you want them broke in before you hit the trail. And same thing with your pack. Your shoulders will thank you later.
      I don't know much but those are the main things I have taken into account.

Comment

Originally posted by yellardogg View Post
        Looks like I may be joining an Elk hunt in Montana in Mid/late September this coming season. I've never been on a trip of this nature before. I'm looking for guys who've experienced this kind of hunt to share gear suggestions, do's and don'ts, necessities, etc. All info will be appreciated.

We will be hiking daily out of a cabin; Mostly negative elevation hiking i'm told. We are bow hunting.
        Lucky dog. I put in for an Montana elk permit with an 85% success rate. I was in the 15% not drawn. Going to have to wait for my chance in 2017 now. Good luck!

Comment

I have been working out, and should be in much better physical condition by the time we hunt.
          I would like to hear about boots if anyone has experience with different styles and brands.

Comment

My last trip to Montana was sept/oct 2014. All of our guides wore merrel or danner hiking shoes. I would advise something simular, I wore heavy duty Russell moccasan hunting boots and regretted it. To much weight and to cumbersome to walk around in all day. We didn't see any snow while we were there, but a lot of moisture walking through grass and brush covered with dew. Usually had to dry everything between morning and afternoon hunts.

Comment

Anybody else with good info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A good gps or even a compass to find your way back to camp. I have been hunting place for over thirty years and have brought a bunch of people back to camp that were turned around. I have found myself turned around a few times.

Comment

Good GPS and chip
                  Good Boots
                  Good pack

If you plan on hunting out west every year.... Change the good to great and up your price point.

With that said train to hunt website work outs aren't a bad option to keep you from getting bored in your work outs. 19.95 a month.

Comment

Where at in Montana? I should still be here in Helena at that time.

As for what you need, the above comments have it covered. I'll add this. When you think you're in shape, you're not. If you can handle it, run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pack with hydration bladder for water.

Boots- I suggest Danner Pronghorns.

Buy 5 pairs of REI wool hiking or hunting socks, try on boots with them on.

Cotton kills. Wool or synthetic fabric next to your skin.

I'm typing this while visiting family in MT. The weather can go from warm/nice to wind/snow in an hour. Be prepared with your gear.

If you're hunting in griz country, carry a large caliber sidearm- my son carries a .454 Casul for bear defense. A .45 acp just gets them madder.

Check the TBH elk hunting thread(s). Lots of good advise already posted.

..... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
                      Last edited by Bill; 06-02-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

You want good info? rokslide.com On the boots, I found some practically new Kennetrek mountain boots in the classifieds that worked great for me in Colorado. Want to do an archery in Montana also.
                        Originally posted by yellardogg View Post
                        Anybody else with good info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by lunatic'hunter; 06-03-2016, 04:10 AM.

Comment

I hunted Elk in 2014 up near Cascade in the Big Belt Mountains. The thing that killed me was the descent. Going up was though, but my dang knees got worn out from walking down the mountain. Great boots are a must. I bought some kennetrek boots. A little more expensive, but that are really nice and will last years.
                          As for working out: Stairmaster, run stairs, do a lot of short sprint work outs, drop as much weight as possible. I thought I was in great shape, but was sucking air and calfs were burning on the first hike up the mountain. Get some gear that will breath and not cause too much sweating. The higher elevations get really cold real quick and damp clothing will cause chills real quick. Layered clothing is best, not bulky coats etc. We too stayed in a cabin which was nice having heat, hot showers, and warm bed at night. Good luck, some really beautiful country up there.

Comment

Bahahahaha, everyone always tells me, "I'm in great shape, I work out three days a week" not even close. You aren't going whole hog backpacking trip, so you won't need a full kit. Boots, boots, boots, clothing and pack. Is this going to be a one shot deal? Or you think you can get into it?

I like First Lite gear personally. With my system of Red Desert Boxers, Guide Pants, Llano Half Zip, Chama Half Zip Hoodie, Uncompaghree (sp) puffy and merino socks with Zamberlan Guide boots I can go from 20 degrees to 90 degrees.

Comment

Here is a huge thread on here, take some time and read and ask some questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X