No announcement yet.

Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't own a Glock, and I've never even seen one. How have I even managed to survive this long?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
      We can all play Monday morning quarterback. It boils down to both men being caught off guard. It happens. Client probably had little knowledge of how fast and bad things can turn. Guide has been there hundreds of times with no issues and dropped his guard. You drop your guard and it doesn't take long to be in life or death situation. We will never know what really happened up on that mountain. I have a hard time blaming the hunter for his actions as I really don't know what he did or didn't do. For those of you saying he was a coward for running. Guess what happens in Africa when the ***** hits the fan hunting a one of the big 5. At some point it turns to every man for himself and you know this going into it. I don't know what I would have done in this situation as I wasn't there.
      Maybe in todays millenial Africa, cuz that's definitely not how I remember it reading 100's of books about Capstick, Ruark, Whelen, Corbet, etc.., or great men who first met the wildlands of America, head on. They were men, who stood their ground, in all kinds of situations. The millenial mangina, has invaded society, to the point, we have one poster already saying, call me pussycat lol.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
        Please share with me your most effective means of self protection when faced with a bear attack while bowhunting or a life threatening attack by another human.

I know you did not ask me but......
        If I was on a guided hunt in BIG bear country, I would expect my guide to be armed with no less than a .375 H&H

My last Moose hunt the guide carried a .416

Comment

These guys knew how to handle a bear.
          Attached Files

Comment

Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Please share with me your most effective means of self protection when faced with a bear attack while bowhunting or a life threatening attack by another human.

It's evident you weren't alluding to a "bear attack while bowhunting."
            Good thing where you live there will be plenty of people with a LTC to help protect you in a bad situation.
            In either case, a Glock might be a good option, though not necessarily the most effective and certainly not the only. To imply that somebody (especially a gun owner) would need to rely on LTC holder to help protect them isn't a very well thought out post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
              You would be able to use it correctly. My point being that a Glock is hamerless weapon with no safety. Rock the slide and pull the trigger. If you keep one in the chamber its point and shoot. It is probably the most simple and easiest to use pistol out there. I guess if the hunter had never seen or used a pistol before in his life but that would be it.
              Good info to know. If I ever decide to get a handgun (and I might one day) that’ll be the route I take. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                I know you did not ask me but......
                If I was on a guided hunt in BIG bear country, I would expect my guide to be armed with no less than a .375 H&H

My last Moose hunt the guide carried a .416

What this guy said.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                  Maybe in todays millenial Africa, cuz that's definitely not how I remember it reading 100's of books about Capstick, Ruark, Whelen, Corbet, etc.., or great men who first met the wildlands of America, head on. They were men, who stood their ground, in all kinds of situations. The millenial mangina, has invaded society, to the point, we have one poster already saying, call me pussycat lol.
                  I've read the books and I've actually been over there on two different big 5 hunts. Been within 40 yards of elephant that winded us and luckily went away from us.
                  Also had to track a wounded leopard at night. Wasn't fun. I was scared. So was everyone one of the PHs and trackers. Luckily the cat was dead on arrival. Can you honestly say in that situation if someone was attacked that night you were running to their rescue? What were you going to do when you got to the scene?

Comment

Thanks for posting this link.

Seems to be pretty solid reporting in the Wyoming paper. Answers a few questions regarding earlier scenarios, such as the hunter being pulled off of a horse -- didn't happen: horses were up the hill from the elk carcass-site.

A post on this thread explains something I was ignorant about: why the hunter couldn't operate the handgun? If it was a Glock and didn't have a shell in the chamber, the hunter would have had to rack the slide; if he didn't know that, the gun wouldn't shoot and was useless to him. Maybe he hoped the guide could make it work, hence, he threw it toward the guide.

Another relevant aspect addressed would be the instant nature of the guide's fatal wound -- apparently massive head trauma. Wildlife officials also explained why both bears were killed, revealing the chilling behavior of the sow teaching her cub that humans were a food source.

Prayers up for all involved.
                    Last edited by tradtiger; 09-20-2018, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Prayers up for the family of the guide

A portion of the article linked above....

The gut pile drag mark heading downhill drew searchers attention away from where Uptain had died 50 yards uphill from the elk carcass, in a grove of timber. The nature of the 37-year-old’s fatal injuries and lack of a drag trail uphill suggest that he was able to walk after the initial attack, about 50 yards, but ultimately was killed by the grizzlies near where he was found.

Sad to think he might have had a chance had he had his pistol or someone else there to help him. Not sure how it happened and don't want to judge because at the end of the day none of us really know what our response would have been. Just a tragic event that unfortunately occurs from time to time. Personally, I think it's way more dangerous out in the metro-jungle or out driving than out in the wilds of nature.

Comment

I've read the books and I've actually been over there on two different big 5 hunts. Been within 40 yards of elephant that winded us and luckily went away from us.
                        Also had to track a wounded leopard at night. Wasn't fun. I was scared. So was everyone one of the PHs and trackers. Luckily the cat was dead on arrival. Can you honestly say in that situation if someone was attacked that night you were running to their rescue? What were you going to do when you got to the scene?
                        You have obviously been there and done it. Can we all agree that MH is a bad sob? Hopefully he is there to save us all when the s hits the fan. He's obviously read 100's of books and knows exactly how he'd act if confronted by a griz.

Comment

Most likely anything I could. This is no different than a rig blowing up, and going in to drag a buddy out, even if you get burned, or a cop walking into a hail of bullets to save his partner, or a soldier doing the same for his buddy, or an unarmed citizen taking out a shooter, and on and on. The fact that it's a bear, makes no difference does it? I been in lots of situations, some involving a gun pointed at me, so yes, I'm confident in saying, I wouldn't turn tail and run. Used to be the way, all men were.
                          And yet everybody wants to stand up and holler COME AND TAKE IT lol. When they show up and have guns, they won't have to take it, y'all will probably gift wrap it and hand em to them.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            You have obviously been there and done it. Can we all agree that MH is a bad sob? Hopefully he is there to save us all when the s hits the fan. He's obviously read 100's of books and knows exactly how he'd act if confronted by a griz.
                            Yep, glad you figured all that out, I was tired of typing
                            But you might wanna hope there is someone around with a pair, when SHTF.

Comment

Thanks. I hope the guide felt no pain. Hell of a way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                                Yep, glad you figured all that out, I was tired of typing
                                But you might wanna hope there is someone around with a pair, when SHTF.
                                I there with you MadHatter. I wouldn't want to hunt in Grizz country with someone that wouldn't commit to helping me if we are attacked. Heck, that is the reason I hunt with someone in Grizz country in the first place!

The Florida dude was a coward. Pure and simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X