Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015, went hiking in the Smokies. Three day hike was harder than we anticipated. Got all sweat drenched on day two (four miles uphill) by the time we reached top of Sliders bald, sun was setting (this was mid April in Tennessee...) And the temperature dropped 35 degrees. A cold wind ripped across the top of the mountain and I started shivering from the inside out, despite having a hot bowl of noodles for dinner. I laid in my 0 degree sleeping bag for about 30 minutes shivering uncontrollably. Finally it clicked (brain wasn't working well) that I was getting hypothermia and it wasn't getting better. First thing I did (which had I not known could have killed me) was strip bare *** naked, then snuggled back into my sleeping bag. Shivering stopped after about an hour. I had burned through so many precious calories shivering all night I was trashed the next day for a 11 mile down hill hike, but I was alive.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

So I have spent quite a few hours reading all of these post and a couple of things stand out: 1) Thank you to all of you who have served and protected the rest of us and 2) I will never own a motorcycle.

Closest I ever came was having a 44 mag pointed at me, but it was the guy about 15 feet from me he was looking wanting to kill.

Second time was me and some buddies were out all night in New Orleans and headed home about daylight. Buddy was driving his Porsche and I decided to go asleep. So did my buddy.. from the tire tracks, we spent about 150 yards going through the median , came out of that turned around backwards and went into a Christmas tree farm called Santa's Forest. Lucky for us, all of the trees were about 4 ft tall because we wiped out a few. I woke up looking up at the traffic passing by above us... We all walked away without a scratch.

Comment

In all seriousness, I've had more than i can remember. I've had a bow and arrow drawn on me from 10 ft away by a psycho, apparently. Dad and i crashed a 6 seater mooney. Had a tree land on a dozer i was operating when i was around 13, barely missing me in the cab. Numerous 4 wheeler accidents that i survived because it was my drinking days and i was loose and nimble(those days are long over). But best of all, I've survived almost 5 years of marriage so far. There's lots of near death experiences in that alone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a crazy dude throw a 12" butcher knife at my head from about 12 feet away. I leaned to my right as my brain processed in slow motion that it was a knife coming at my head from a short distance away. He missed and it stuck in the wall about 2" deep and clanged out into the kitchen area, I fired twice almost simultaneously and hit him the in the chest between his nipples with the first shot and then somewhere where his neck meets his torso with the second shot (fast double tap). He was DRT (9mm with 147 grain HST). I have a clear conscience about it and was cleared by a grand jury a few months later. This was an on duty shooting that was in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
            Had a crazy dude throw a 12" butcher knife at my head from about 12 feet away. I leaned to my right as my brain processed in slow motion that it was a knife coming at my head from a short distance away. He missed and it stuck in the wall about 2" deep and clanged out into the kitchen area, I fired twice almost simultaneously and hit him the in the chest between his nipples with the first shot and then somewhere where his neck meets his torso with the second shot (fast double tap). He was DRT (9mm with 147 grain HST). I have a clear conscience about it and was cleared by a grand jury a few months later. This was an on duty shooting that was in 2014.
            whoa

Comment

Was in college and floating down the Guadalupe. Went over a waterfall and lost my tube. Got sucked under by the whirlpool hydraulic. Was under and could only see water and bubbles. Was out of air and got spit up to the surface. There were a lot of people yelling and trying to reach me. Got sucked under again. Water and bubbles. Finally my foot touched a rock and I pushed off of it. Came up just as my tube which had been circling in the current came around to me. Grabbed it and made it out. Folks were yelling at me asking if I was ok. Dumb drunk idiots I was with had no idea where I was or what had happened. Ended up with new friends.

Thankful to God.

Comment

I was thrown out of a car that was flipping end over end and spinning into a person's front yard and did not receive a scratch! The driver spent 3 days in intensive care as the car landed on him after it threw him out.

Comment

I was about 5yrs old and broke my arm in two places requiring a full arm cast that went over my elbow up halfway to my shoulder on my upper arm. (the arm breaking is not the story but is relevant to it being a NEAR death experience) Fast forward a few weeks later and I was on a trip with Cub Scouts touring parts of DFW airport including aircraft maintenance hangars. We were in a Delta hanger and were going to tour the inside of the aircraft and had to climb a roll up set of stairs to access the plane. I was not watching where I was walking and fell through a crack between the platform and the aircraft. the only thing that prevented me from falling all the way down to the concrete below was my cast that kept my arm locked bent at 90 degrees and hooked onto the platform until a staff member was able to pull me back up.

Comment

Doctor said...you only have two months the most...

I killed the doctor and went to court, Judge gave me 30 years

That was close! does it counts???

Comment

Too many times to count. Flipped a 4 wheeler on top of me at the top of 3rd gear when I was a kid, had a cousin yank my life jacket off and shove me under the water when I couldn’t swim(woke up on the shore coughing up water after my brother saved me), went sliding sideways at 70 mph across the top of huge ruts in a Hyundai Accent, did 96 mph in a Geo Metro. Too many close calls with head on collisions to count.

Comment

My first chemical plant job was in a tank farm. Drainage was terrible after it rained and we would have to wade thru knee deep water to open tank valves and start/stop pumps. I was wading back to the road and I kept hearing a strange noise. Looked down and noticed the 480 volt extension cord that ran to the pump was sizzling every time the wave from me walking hit a cut in the wire.
                        Second was anaphylactic shock from over 50 fire ant bites on my arm. Heart stopped in ER and woke up to a room full of doctors and nurses.

Comment

What a crazy interesting thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just made a joke to wife that her jeans have gotten skin tight- I’m still breathing

Comment

Man! Some of these are hard to read.

I will add my insignificant stories.

I have had several, some I have forgotten. The one I remember most was on the top of the 210 Bridge in LC, La. A lady got drunk at a Christmas part and hit the middle divider, her car was on top of the divider. The bridge has a curve in it, we came around the curve, saw her and stopped to help, flashers on put out reflectors on road. Got her out of the car and as we walk in front of her car a speeder hit my car from behind and pushing it into hers, we had been standing there literally 10 seconds earlier.

Another, I was fishing on TBend with my dad and a friend of the family. I was 12 or so. The guy driving the boat wasn't very good, he was driving through some rotten trees and gassed the throttle instead of cutting it. We hit a tree hard, about a 10 ft section fell off the top, right in front of me just missing my head and knees. I remember seeing my dad going backwards, hitting the tree almost falling in. I do not know why I didn't fall forward, but I was upright the whole time. The guy driving ended up in the bottom of the boat behind me. If I had fallen forward, the tree would have no doubt broke my neck. I have always felt GOD had His hand on me.

Comment

Eating chicken from a Jack in the Box. And eating at Burger King. Both were a source from some of the worst food poisoning I’ve ever experienced. Felt like I might die from it. But Burger King won out. Caused extreme weakness and severe pain.

Comment

Working...
                                X