No announcement yet.

Welding Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That little welder is going to get a workout. If you are new to welding you'd be better off getting a machine that runs a little easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
      That little welder is going to get a workout. If you are new to welding you'd be better off getting a machine that runs a little easier.

https://youtu.be/CZ8nBKFdfNk
      Thats great if your rails are 6" long.

Anything is possible if you got time. Start doing that in a pipeshop and see how long your employed!

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
        I'd like to see that. How much grinding and gap filling on the fit-up is required?
        It is actually fairly easy. I wouldn’t do it unless I don’t have a torch, but I know some dang good welders who choose it as their preferred method. No grinding required. Either two passes with 6010 or get fancy and go 6010 with a pass of 7018.
        Last edited by RR 314; 09-12-2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Thats great if your rails are 6" long.

Anything is possible if you got time. Start doing that in a pipeshop and see how long your employed!
          If I remember correctly the OP didn't say anything about Working In a Pipe Shop or anything about having to answer to someone else to justify his employment. Truth is If he's new to welding, then he probably can't use a cutting torch well enough to saddle a 2"pipe without some trouble. You can modify the saw by making a better clamp on it. Then place the 10 lbs saw on the pipe instead of trying to move the 300 lbs-30ft long pipe. That being said, it's all easier said that done.

Comment

Three quick cuts on a saw. . .
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
              That looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                Flux core wire does not like rusty pipe! I would find a stick engine driven machine.

They make hand operated shear that can cut your saddles.

Are you digging the holes by hand? Tractor and post hole digger would come in handy.

Great catch! I have a tractor and attachment for the posts.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  This is exactly what I have observed and plan to do if it’s effective

Comment

That looks great.
                    Think you could fill that without too much work?

Seriously, one of my good friends sets up two chop saws on his trailer and flies through the pipe. Once you get the angles right it really is simple.

Comment

So I’m ok investing in a higher end welder but also am mindful of time/investment and learning curve (can I self reach via YouTube, etc.)?

I’d also really like to do this just to learn and to have the satisfaction of self accomplishment. With that being said - what should I buy that will allow me to learn it, be effective and efficient while setting myself up to be successful?

Comment

You need a stick machine and 1/8” 6010’s or 6011’s.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          You need a stick machine and 1/8” 6010’s or 6011’s.

This is what I would recommend, get a Gas powered welder/generator and you can run your chop saw off that also. Buy a used one right and you can get what you paid for it back when you're done. If you decide you don't want it, I can't imagine NOT having one......

6010's are very forgiving.......

Comment

You can make pretty saddle cuts with a chop saw for shop work. The problem with cutting the saddles before you put the posts in the ground is getting them all level. Cut the saddles after the posts are in the ground, run a string to get level marks and cut saddles with torch. You will want a bigger welder.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleB20 View Post
                              You can make pretty saddle cuts with a chop saw for shop work. The problem with cutting the saddles before you put the posts in the ground is getting them all level. Cut the saddles after the posts are in the ground, run a string to get level marks and cut saddles with torch. You will want a bigger welder.
                              Kind of what I was thinking. Gonna be real tough to get it level if you cut them before they are in the ground.

Comment

I'd buy an old gas miller machine and stick that. Mig sucks out of a shop environment and gagfi of the user.

You aint cutting saddles with a chopsaw.....get a flame ax.
                                This

And old oilfield rusty pipe migs don't like at all. You need a gas welder with 6011 rods and yeah a lot more welding lead. And you will need a cutting torch for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X