Ram, it's whats for dinner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ram, it's whats for dinner.

Like most hunters, I am not one to waste what I killed. I am going on my first ram hunt in the middle of Sept. and was wondering if yall have ever cooked ram and what are some good receipts? Is it better to smoke it or what do you find to be the best way to cook your animal?

Be sure a d cook it outside. You'll never get the smell out of your house. Be sure and cook some other kind of meat at th same time so you will have something you can eat. A ram is a goat,and that is the way it tastes.

Comment

If you soak it in diesel overnight it will get the goat taste out of the meat
      Last edited by Traildust; 09-05-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

grind it into sausage . that's what has worked for me . all outher efforts were not so good

Comment

Originally posted by traildust View Post
          if you soak it in diesel overnight it to get the goat taste out of the meat
          lol

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            If you soak it in diesel overnight it will get the goat taste out of the meat
            Is that going to be biodiesel, Petroleum diesel, or synthetic diesel? lol

Comment

We cook our in the smoker and make birria and other heavily spiced meals. Its good, but requires special attention.

Comment

Goat is better than sheep. Summer sausage is a good way to use most of it up

Comment

Lol i like goat, as well as sheep. Just have to cook it right and handle the meat with care. Remember there's folks that say hog is inedible. With that said, there is a distinct flavor to ram that are older than a year. Thats why there's a distinction between lamb and mutton. Since people eat largely bland food, most people have moved away from mutton. Once you get it on ice, let it drain for about two weeks. What I've read is officially butchered mutton is hung for two weeks, then either dry rubbed and aged a week before cooking, turned into a brined meat, or slow cooked in a number of ways. There's also a thread on the forum about a greek recipe for mutton that's really good. Google is a pain in the butt to find recipes, as mostly the middle east still eats mutton (but if you like that style of food you've got lots of choices). Used to be a main stay in europe. Look for british, irish and french recipes. I love it as it has recipes for both my Irish/european side, my indian side, and my wife's greek side.
                  For smoking, I let it dry age a week in a bag rubbed with cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, cardamom, salt, black pepper, bit of brown sugar, and smoked paprika. Make a vinegar based mop mixed with molasses and worcestire. Smoke it low and slow just like a hog shoulder.
                  FYI i can never say mutton without thinking ofnthe seinfeld episode where he's deciding tonnot eat meat as much lol.

Comment

Took my black Hawaiian ram to Granny’s tamales in Humble, and they did me 30 dozen with the meat. They are excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.

Comment

I had it barbecued once, didn’t care for it.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          Took my black Hawaiian ram to Granny’s tamales in Humble, and they did me 30 dozen with the meat. They are excellent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Tamales make any meat taste good

Comment

Buzzards got to eat.

Comment

Make a stew. Find a Barbacoa recipe. It depends on the ram. I’ve had several that tasted good, than I had one that tasted horrible. I took one bite and I just couldn’t do it. It was so **** gamey, and I’m my recipe has never failed me on Rams.

Comment

Working...
                              X