Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Out of District Enrollment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send them to the best school. They will need to take care of you when you get older plus it's geart for them and your grandparents to spent time with each other.

Comment

I have been in Education for 24 years and have never heard of the grandparent clause for allowing a student to attend a district they don't live in.

Im my current district we have a transfer policy, no tuition, There might be some ISD's that still charge tuition but none around here. Mainly because the only way schools get more $$$$ is butts in seats.

This is a local policy, call the other district and find out if they allow out of district transfers. There might be some red tape but if that is where you want them it should be no issue.

see link

Looks like at first glance they do not allow transfers.

Comment

Here is another option if the above fails - put a bill (gas, electric, etc) in your name at your parents address. Take to school and enroll your kids. It works. I did it after we were rezoned to another elementary school. We didn't want to change schools halfway through elementary as my son was doing really well and the school he got routed to was over capacity. Not exactly above board, but neither was how they came to the rezoning decision.

Comment

First question is do your kids play sports? If so, then it is going to cause a problem, at least for one year and possibly for the future. Each individual school district has their own transfer policies and rules, as well as the UIL. This question would be better asked to the school district, rather than a bowhunting website. I have been in for 13 years and have never heard of a grandparent clause. Not saying there is not one, but I have never been a part of that. Again, it falls on the school district about their transfer rules. You would need to look at the ISD's board policy to find out what the school you want to transfer to allows and does not allow.

Originally posted by js4242 View Post
          Here is another option if the above fails - put a bill (gas, electric, etc) in your name at your parents address. Take to school and enroll your kids. It works. I did it after we were rezoned to another elementary school. We didn't want to change schools halfway through elementary as my son was doing really well and the school he got routed to was over capacity. Not exactly above board, but neither was how they came to the rezoning decision.
          Honestly, the above scenario would be viewed as cheating, especially if you knew that your child does not live at the "address", nor do you live there. I think this would also be viewed as transferring for athletic reasons, in my opinion. And as a coach, if I saw this on a PAPF and we were in a DEC meeting, I would not approve it. If it does get approved and it is found out later that you do not live there, but there is a utility bill in your name and you reside in another district, that puts your kids at serious risk to lose all eligibility to play sports in the UIL.

Comment

Can you not do a transfer? If not, it sounds like your kids need to start “living” with your folks.

Comment

I have been in the school business since '92 and an administrator for 16 years. You are good with the grandparent clause, you kids will not be transfer kids, and they will be eligible for all UIL athletic/academic contests. This clause is not utilized very often, so most folks dont know about it. Only reason I know is we had a family in our district use it a few years ago. Please dont take the advice mentioned above as far as making up a "fake" address or putting utilities in your name if you dont live at the address...that will cause some issues. Just talk to the admin at LISD and do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                I have been in the school business since '92 and an administrator for 16 years. You are good with the grandparent clause, you kids will not be transfer kids, and they will be eligible for all UIL athletic/academic contests. This clause is not utilized very often, so most folks dont know about it. Only reason I know is we had a family in our district use it a few years ago. Please dont take the advice mentioned above as far as making up a "fake" address or putting utilities in your name if you dont live at the address...that will cause some issues. Just talk to the admin at LISD and do it right.
                Thank you. I have sent an email to the person in charge of registration explaining the situation and asking what will need to be provided for enrollment. I want to do it the right way.

Comment

Do you have the link for this? Is it in TEC? board policy?

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                    Do you have the link for this? Is it in TEC? board policy?
                    See Post #5

Grandparent in District
                    Section 25.001(b)(9)entitles a student who resides in Texas but does not reside in the district to admission if a grandparent of the student resides in the district and the grandparent provides a substantial amount of after-school care for the student as determined by the local school board.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                      See Post #5

Grandparent in District
                      Section 25.001(b)(9)entitles a student who resides in Texas but does not reside in the district to admission if a grandparent of the student resides in the district and the grandparent provides a substantial amount of after-school care for the student as determined by the local school board.
                      I haven't received a response from LISD yet but from the TEA rule, it appears that the school board may have to determine if 2:55pm-6:30/7pm every day is a "substantial amount of after-school care". I'll just have to wait and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                        See Post #5

Grandparent in District

Ok I see it but says the board has to define the criteria and it isn't defined in their local policy. Maybe it is defined in the student handbook but I doubt it.

Looks like in Livingston isd's case since there is no defined board criteria it might rest on the shoulders of the Superintendent. Pretty vague if you ask me.

Comment

Just got a call from the admissions person who said that we live right near the line between districts but not on the Livingston side. I told her that I was aware of that but TEA had a "Grandparent Rule", and explained it to her. She said she had never heard of it and asked that I send her the link so she could take it to someone who may know more about it than she does. I just sent it to her... Hopefully we can work this out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                            Just got a call from the admissions person who said that we live right near the line between districts but not on the Livingston side. I told her that I was aware of that but TEA had a "Grandparent Rule", and explained it to her. She said she had never heard of it and asked that I send her the link so she could take it to someone who may know more about it than she does. I just sent it to her... Hopefully we can work this out.
                            Not surprised she hadnt heard about it, most folks havent. It is not utilized very often, but it is still in statute.

Comment

I bet LISD doesnt even have a local policy addressing it. They will have to determine what "substantial after school care is". You may want to set up a meeting with the supt. and let him know what your situation is and make sure he can get in on the agenda for the next board meeting if need be.

Comment

I bet LISD doesnt even have a local policy addressing it. They will have to determine what "substantial after school care is". You may want to set up a meeting with the supt. and let him know what your situation is and make sure he can get in on the agenda for the next board meeting if need be.
                                Yes you are probably correct. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X