No announcement yet.

Aspiring young blacksmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wished you lived closer. For a kid like that I would let him and you use my shop any time you wanted. Being a weldor and not a black smith there is still anvils, forge, welders, torches and every thing else he would need. You got you a fine kid there.

Comment

Looks like a ton of fun. Great time spent together on this one.

Comment

Awesome!
        I love that show myself!

Comment

It's great that your son is into this instead of vegetating in front of the tube! Wish more children were. But then a lot of the vegetables have parents that are too busy to get very involved in things their children want/need to do. So way to go Dad!

Comment

That young man is headed in the right direction! Good on you dad for helping him get things started and doing it the right way! I will be looking forward to buying one of his future knives!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome!! Find some fireplace brick and use them to build a box on the propane burner. I've forged many blades like that.

Keep pics of the progress coming and tell him great job.

Comment

That's awesome! My husband blacksmiths, as well as his best friend, so I get to hear about it often (I've tried my hand a few things). One of the guys my husband studied under was on Forged in Fire.

Have him check out the Balcones Forge group, which they have an annual demonstration/get together in Bryan. There are some amazing blacksmiths in the Houston area, like Ziwa Forge owned by Dana Flanders, as well as some guys on the Green Screen, like RG Epting. Online, he should watch videos by Alec Steele, who is a young talent. There are also lots of books out there to learn about all of the physics behind moving metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's neat. Have you seen this video?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLM8w4-6AaE"]Making a Backyard Foundry - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Aspiring young blacksmith

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                    My son loves the show Forged In Fire, so at the ripe old age of 10yrs old, he has taken up blacksmithing. He saved up his allowance and bought a sledgehammer for an Advil, got himself a 3lb hammer, and spent time reading up on safety (my requirement) and basic methods.

Yesterday we tried a charcoal forge, and by forge I mean we just lit charcoal and crammed the steel in there. It worked ok for about a half hour before the coals were spent. I used my leaf blower to get it hot and we did get the steel to glow. This morning we've switched to the propane crawfish burner with stone on top and it works much better.

My son's goal is to make a basic knife. Even with just about one hour invested so far I believe he will definitely meet his goal in a couple weeks. Pretty fun project, and we're learning as we go.

Whatever you do make sure he wears z87.1 approved safety glasses.

Other than that encourage the hell out of em. Sometimes you can find anvils at flea markets also.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                      Whatever you do make sure he wears z87.1 approved safety glasses.

Other than that encourage the hell out of em. Sometimes you can find anvils at flea markets also.

Yes! Safety gargles are important.

Check the surface of the anvil, as well before buying it. Some folks use old railroad ties as a starter anvil, but the more your son wants to advance, he's going to want a horn and a hardy hole. As far as a Forge, you can make a propane one, or a coal one, but be prepared for the Coke to burn off. There are a lot of videos on how to make a Forge. One of the best propane Forge builders are here in San Marcos - Chili Forge.

This is my husbands Chili Forge:

Also, buy that kiddo some tongs that will allow him to hold his stock far enough away to work it at a high heat, otherwise it's going to be hell trying to move cold metal. He will also need a quench bucket, and an oil bucket.

Striking Anvil

Vice Stand:

Anvil:

Hammers and Tongs

Fullers:

Metal Stock

Comment

Coffee Can Forge: I know that this isn't an original idea, but it is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Given I don't really have the space for a real forge I thought this would be a good place to start some metal-crafting. Things you will need:Coffee can…

Comment

Update. So here's where he's at. He's got about 3 solid hours of forging and now two into grinding. Just using the crawfish burner doesn't get the metal but barely glowing so he's learning patience. I tried putting an edge on it but it's still too fat. He's also got a crack in the blade but I don't think it will hurt anything. Once we saw the crack we quit forging it and he said "oh well, I'll just have the worlds deadliest butter knife", LOL. I think we have another hour of grinding, and then I'll try putting the edge on it again. I think he's gonna do a leather wrap for the handle. Or maybe paracord.

Comment

Great job your son did!
                            Old Blacksmith I worked with years ago, told me once, " beat on cold steel and you will go to H...!

Comment

man, thats awesome. Im an adult and want to learn. As recommended above, check out Alec Steele on youtube. Hes a young guy who has some good videos on blacksmithing. There is another guy I like on youtube that is a jack of all trades but has some blacksmithing videos Essential Craftsman. That guy is a wealth of knowledge and does teach blacksmithing classes.

Congrats for supporting your son in a hobby most people never think about.

Comment

Nice job young man.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X